Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which Laptop?

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2008, 10:02 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Laptop?

Hi,

Need some advice on a laptop purchase. I have to give up my computer room (yes I have a full blown geek room) to my kids so I need to store/sell off my computer bits and bobs.

Seeing as laptops are powerful enough to replace my humble workstation I have been looking at a few options but I haven't kept up to date with the lates tech specs so it's a bit confusing.

I need a laptop that can handle all my workload i.e programming (.NET/C#), Graphics & Design work (photoshop, illustrator etc) but I also need something powerful enough to handle my gaming requirements.

Had a look at the following:

rock :: Xtreme 770 :: Ultimate performance gaming laptops and notebooks

But I haven't a clue about the T numbers, why couldn't intel stick to names that made sense. I like the spec on X770-T8300-8800, graphics card seems to be up to the job of handling the gaming side but is the CPU spec any good and memory would need to upped to 4gb.

Anyone know of any other (better) alternatives?
Old 28 April 2008, 07:16 PM
staffs Mike
Scooby Regular

T9's have a bit more cache if that is useful for you. The 8800GTX is a monster mobile GPU, and will play all your games nicely.

The T8***'s and T9***'s are the new penryn core's built on a smaller process than previous chips so run cooler and use less power.

I would deffinatly buy either that, the new 15.4" alienware with similar specs if you wanted something smaller, or if you want a true desktop replacement then you'll be wanting this

rock :: Configure your Xtreme SL8 desktop quad core power and SLi GTX's
Old 28 April 2008, 11:56 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by staffs Mike
T9's have a bit more cache if that is useful for you. The 8800GTX is a monster mobile GPU, and will play all your games nicely.

The T8***'s and T9***'s are the new penryn core's built on a smaller process than previous chips so run cooler and use less power.

I would deffinatly buy either that, the new 15.4" alienware with similar specs if you wanted something smaller, or if you want a true desktop replacement then you'll be wanting this

rock :: Configure your Xtreme SL8 desktop quad core power and SLi GTX's
The Rock SL8 is sick, forget desktop, the thing is a proper workstation replacement - would satisfy my power needs (I am pretty sure I could make the quadcore sweat some) but the price.. that's an engine rebuild or a power upgrade for the scooby!

I have taken ganders at the Toshiba X200 24V, looks really good on paper, actually better in some respects to the other contenders but let down by the screen res. I need the main display to be of a high resolution so I can pair it up to my LCD display for some serious graphics work.

I had a play with the Dell XPS Gamer, not the latest verison but a few months old but it's way too bulky and looks too bizzare for my liking, more for the neon generation.

Didn't realise Alienware did a 15.4" version, might have to take a look at that, I really like the look of the Rock 770, for a 17" laptop it looks as nice as my HPDV9200.

Another option is to go for last of the IBM Thinkpad T61p laptops, going for a good price on eBay and they have fairly high spec for the money (hires screen, nVidia display, core duo, 2gb ram). I used a T61 at my last workplace and it still remains one of THE best laptops I have ever used - the keyboard is amazing to use and the laptop just looks perfect with the black on black magnesium chassis.

Ah bloody choices - I really need to test these laptops out but there is no where to do that :s
Old 29 April 2008, 12:09 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Hmm this looks good:

[1] Area-51® m15x

Display: 15.4" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD (1200p)
System Lighting: Alienware® AlienFX® System Lighting - Red
Operating System: Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium - English
Graphics Processor : 512MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 8800M GTX
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz (6MB Cache 800MHz FSB)
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 1024MB
Turbo Cache Memory: Intel Turbo Cache Memory 1GB – Accelerate Data Transfer Speed
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 120GB 7200 RPM (8MB Cache) with Free Fall Protection
Smart Bay: None
CD/DVD/RW: 8x Dual Layer Writer (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Sound Hardware: Intel® High-Definition Audio (24-bit, 192Khz) with surround sound
Keypad: Alienware® Exclusively Designed Non-Illuminated Keyboard - English
Wireless Network Card: Internal Intel® Wireless 4965 a/b/g/Draft-N Mini-Card
Warranty: AlienCare 1-Year Free Phone 24/7 and Collect & Return
AlienContact: Added Bonus with any AlienSupport Selection
AlienContact - Remote Alienware Support
Monitor: (None)
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Mesh Cap
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Personalised Nameplate
Alienware Extras: Custom Alienware® Mousepad - FREE!
Alienware Extras: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - £50 Value - FREE!
Alienware Extras: Owner Identification Card
Alienware Extras: Area-51® m15x Keyboard Diagram Overlay
Alienware Extras: Area-51® m15x Smooth Mylar Touchpad
Alienware Extras: Area-51® m15x Protective Cloth Sleeve

All for £1,6250 or thereabouts... quite tempting, need to go check my bank balance!
Old 29 April 2008, 02:54 PM
staffs Mike
Scooby Regular

Yep thats the one. It's a very nice laptop, I think there have been a couple of bios issue's with the early builds but I think they have been resolved now.

Certainly looks the best of the bunch imo and is fairly portable in 15.4" form factor

One thing that lets alienware down (since they are now owned by dell) is that lack on an onsite warranty but you dont get that with Rock either (but there's is 3 years as standard) so I guess it makes little difference.
Old 30 April 2008, 03:09 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Slight change from the above list, I ordered this today:

Lenovo Thinkpad T61p 6460 Laptop
T9300 Core 2 Duo Processor
4GB Memory
nVidia Quadro FX 570M Graphics Card
WUXGA+ 15.4" Screen running at 1920 x 1200 (nice!)
Wifi, Bluetooth, Gigabit Lan etc
UXB (wireless USB, HDMI)
Fingerprint Reader
200GB HDD
DVD Dual Layer Writer

Plus a few other extra's all for the same price as the Alienware laptop. imo the T61p looks perfect, very business like but also stealth in the black magnesium chassis.

I have used the Thinkpad's in the past so can't fault them, one of THE best keyboard layouts I have ever used on any laptop. Doesn't shy away from gaming either so that's a bonus but as it's a Quadro I can at least be confident it will handle my graphic design needs without any issues.