Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Need help moving iTunes

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2008, 01:58 PM
terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help moving iTunes

Can someone please tell me how to move my iTunes to an external hard drive, im having problems

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 18 April 2008, 03:50 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Essentially what you need to do is locate the folder where your music is being stored. Now, this might be tricky as it depends wether you have the "Copy files to iTines Music folder when adding to Library" option enabled (it's in iTunes Preferences -> Advanced -> General).
If you have that option enabled, then all your music should be in one place, the iTunes Music folder, which, on a PC is found in My Documents -> My Music -> iTunes. On a Mac it would be in your Home folder -> Music -> iTunes.

If you don't have that option enabled then your actual music files could be anywhere on your machine, unless you specifically keep it in one folder, and if you do then that's ok.

What you basically need to do is to copy the "iTunes Music" folder, or whatever folder has all the music files in it, to the external disk. Then you need to tell iTunes you have moved it. So go into iTunes, then into it's Preferences. Select the "Advanced" option and then the General tab should appear. You will see the top option is "iTunes Music folder location", you click Change and then you can navigate to where you moved the iTunes Music folder, and then select it. Click OK on the main settings window and that's it, you're done.
Old 18 April 2008, 08:59 PM
terror
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, you are a star. I owe you a beer

Steve
Old 19 April 2008, 03:48 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

No problem at all, happy to help. If you're ever in Toronto I'll take you up on the offer of a beer