Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help - trying to change screen colour quality ??

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2008, 08:59 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - trying to change screen colour quality ??

Help !!! trying to change the colour quality settings on my monitor, for some reason I am only getting the choice off either 16 BIT or 32 BIT but require 256 for the Java application I am planning to use, feel sure I have seen this 256 BIT setting before as a choice, but for some reason dont see it anymore ??!!

anyone advise what I am doing wrong ??
Old 18 April 2008, 09:14 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Cannot Change Display Setting to 640 X 480 or 256 Color
Old 18 April 2008, 02:03 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks mate appreciatte your reply, have visited the page on your link and was somewhat surprised to see that according to the specs 256 colour is not supported by xp. according to the Java installation page you should be running a min off 256 colour and have service pack 1 installed for windows, having just checked my own service pack details it appears that I have service pack 2 installed on my pc, is this not the standard update for ie 6 ??

lastly been having problems with a particular site which used Java etc from reading the Java website it appears that similar error meesages that I have been getting can be caused by not running this 256 colour and also not having the correct service pack installed ??

totally confused now if anyone can advise ??!!
Old 19 April 2008, 04:28 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

your system more than exceeds the requirements - ie. your system uses more than 256 colours and your service pack 2 includes everything service pack 1 did

what's the java application out of interest ?

why need try using an alternative browser to see if you get the same errors. You can use more than one browser on your system. A good alternative to Internet Explorer is Mozilla Firefox - a free download from here:
Mozilla | Firefox web browser & Thunderbird email client
Old 19 April 2008, 07:51 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Internet Explorer crashes - 1.4.2_xx, 1.5.0, 6.0, 1.3.0_xx, 1.3.1_xx, 1.4.0_xx, 1.4.1_xx

Have a read off the above link mate, sure it says that you require service pack 1 for ie 6 upwards and also a min off 256 colours, running anything other than this can cause the visited internet page to crash ??

now from the above link that " PeteBrant " kindly gave to it appears windows xp does not support 256 colours ??

totaly confused regards the service pack claim and also the windows xp not supporting 256 - you reckon it should yep ??

the site I am trying to get on is Person.com: Free online dating, chat and webcams, site is advertised as being active and requires flash player, uses flash applet, active scypt and java enabled, have tested out my flash player on the official adobe website / youtube etc and it is installed and working okay but for some reason when I click on the view cameras or private messages on the above website it will load so far and then I get the Internet explorer has had to close type error message, happens on both ie 6 and also firefox.

have tested the java download on the official website and all is reported as installed and working okay.

have cleaned out everything on my pc with cc cleaner etc, ran all av / spyware etc, up to date video drivers etc but still the error messages apperaing on the above website.

was about to give up when I came across the above error message explanations on the Java download website and thought hang on requires a min off 256 colours / service pack 1 , currently have 32 BIT and service pack 2 installed.

totally confused so any clarification on any off the above would as always be very much appreciatted.

cheers,
john
Old 20 April 2008, 05:03 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
now from the above link that " PeteBrant " kindly gave to it appears windows xp does not support 256 colours ??

It does support it - You just need to follow the instructions int he link to force the modes to be available

I.e.

To work around this issue, follow these steps: 1. In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab.
2. Click the Advanced button.
3. Click the Adapter tab, and then click the List all modes button.
4. Select the resolution, color depth, and refresh rate that you want and click OK.

But I would be amazed if this is what your problem is.
Old 21 April 2008, 10:23 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
It does support it - You just need to follow the instructions int he link to force the modes to be available

I.e.

To work around this issue, follow these steps: 1. In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab.
2. Click the Advanced button.
3. Click the Adapter tab, and then click the List all modes button.
4. Select the resolution, color depth, and refresh rate that you want and click OK.

But I would be amazed if this is what your problem is.
Okay thanks again for the advice mate, tried the above and choose the 256 colours choice , 800 x600 an although I went thru ever combination ie. 56 , 60, 70 , 72 and 75 HZ none off the screens were actually usable by that I mean the screen colours were very blocky just not what you could use.

to be honest kinda going along with you thou in that I doubt very much that would be the cure to my initial problem, strange thou that Java themselves list it as a possible cause off these ie error problems, also why say that ie 6 requires service pack one and anything less than ie6 requires service pack 2, surely some very strange advice is it not ??!!
Old 22 April 2008, 08:54 AM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
............ the screen colours were very blocky just not what you could use...........
A 256 colour display is out of the ark, and the display would be 'blocky' compared with modern 16 bit and 32 bit colour (65536 colours and 4.3M colours respectively).

What program are you trying to run, and what do you expect the display to look like? Screen shots would be helpful.

Pete The Biker