Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT home HUB question

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2008, 10:24 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default BT home HUB question

just got the home hub set up today.

as you cn see, i am on line!!

questions though.

1. the CD instulation didn't 'run' so I connected manually, following instruction in the user guide. Is that all the CD would hve got me to do, just put the network key in.. then away you go on the net, or have I mssed anything by not installing off the CD?

2. I already ave Norton on my Laptop, do you have to remove this off my laptop now I have Home Hub (this has security already built in)?

3. If the answer is yes, remove Norton now I have BT Home Hub, how will my emails get screened for spam as I already have email address' set up using Outlook express

can anyone help me out??

cheers
Phil
Old 11 April 2008, 10:35 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Phil,
I didn't bother with the CD either and installation worked fine. There's nothing on the CD that is crucial.
Norton will be installed on your Yahoo account ,not on your PC - but this is a choice that can be selected when accessing your email account.
If NAV is already on your laptop then just don't select it again on the BT Yahoo account.

Nick
Old 11 April 2008, 10:47 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

whats the yahoo account??

I've also not had a etter yet with the Number/password for the home hub phone.. when does that come?
Old 12 April 2008, 10:33 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Phil,
I was asked to choose my BT email address and account password when ordering BT broadband and whether I wanted to use them also for the BT Yahoo account.
All my details weere sent by email - I don't remember getting a letter.

If you chose not to do this at the time then I guess that you'll have to phone them to set this up?
BTW, I've found this forum pretty useful in sorting a few issues out:
Support Forums: Forum Home

There are BT staff acting as moderators who can deal with queries very quickly.

Nick
Old 12 April 2008, 11:23 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by salsa-king
just got the home hub set up today.

as you cn see, i am on line!!

questions though.

1. the CD instulation didn't 'run' so I connected manually, following instruction in the user guide. Is that all the CD would hve got me to do, just put the network key in.. then away you go on the net, or have I mssed anything by not installing off the CD?

2. I already ave Norton on my Laptop, do you have to remove this off my laptop now I have Home Hub (this has security already built in)?

3. If the answer is yes, remove Norton now I have BT Home Hub, how will my emails get screened for spam as I already have email address' set up using Outlook express

can anyone help me out??

cheers
Phil
1) As everyone has said you dont need to use the CD. However, i think you may need a small part of the software to activate the hub phone if my memory is correct.

2) Once your Norton has expired on your laptop you take it off and download the BT Yahoo security software which you can access at your log in - this installs Norton back on your laptop along with Spyware protection etc so you dont need to pay Norton for a new subscription. You can download onto up to 7 computers in your house. link here Yahoo! Online Protection

3) As above you install BT's Norton on your computer and that screens your mails as necessary.
Old 12 April 2008, 12:01 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

There should be a small user guide with the Home Hub which goes into all the questions you've asked.
I found my Home Hub was alreday set up for my account, so there was no need to install anything. just enter bthomehub.home in the browser adress bar and this will bring up all your settings.

nick
Old 12 April 2008, 02:35 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

nick, when i go there it asks me to input the serial number and change password.
Old 12 April 2008, 08:59 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The serial number is on the back of the hub. It's the default password. Just enter it ans then set the password to one of your own.
Old 12 April 2008, 10:37 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

I've rang the total bradband help line, there systems were down so I have to ing back.

the guy said I need to remove the Norton A-V I have now, then ring back and they will go through wht I need to do to get their secuity on my Pc.

also said I don't need to bother with changing that serial/password at the mo.

Also my hub phones not working cus its not connected yet, he said he can sort that out too
Old 12 April 2008, 10:48 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Phil I found that I had Nortons on mine before I went to BT but when I tried to load the BT Nortons version I had troubles.... I assume if it's the same now you may need to go onto the Symantic site and search for a removal tool, this will completely remove any traces of the original version before putting the BT version on..... It may pay to ask them next time you talk to check this out.

When I had issues with my phone disconnecting I came accross this link...

https://service.btbroadbandvoice.bt....consumerConfig

I switch it on myself now on rare occasions when it drops off.

I don't know what number your using for the help desk but I found a 0800 one on my travels,

One last tip since it's new, I set up a couple of further e-mail address's straight away and never use my main one, this way my main addy only ever has BT mail coming to it and has never had any spam issues at all... I use a second account for everyday usage.
I must add I get about 15 spam a day straight into my spam folder... the only reason I get that is I sent myself a mail home from work without realising so the junk mail followed me from there, I now use a g.mail account to send any thing to from work.

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 12 April 2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12 April 2008, 10:56 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

the number is 0800 111 4567 that i've been ringing..... think its goes to India!! as they had troubke understanding me. Me, from Nottm doesn't even have an acsent!!!!

Not bothered about their email address they'll give me as I have my own compny email from via OE anyway.
Old 12 April 2008, 11:11 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My slight welsh accent is bad enough when I talk to them so your not on your own

I had to call them a week ago as I was having a little problem... I called the wrong number but it was 0800 so was fair game and they guy there transfered me to India.... aarghhh but they then transfered my back to the UK and they sorted my problem and I had that number from them.
Old 14 April 2008, 10:27 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

ok ok ok, I've de installed Norton.

rang bt broadband.
the guy has sorted my bt home hub phone
also put on the BT security on my PC

But.. i now go to OE to check my info@neoqiup.com emails... guess what. the Norton anti spam tool bar logo has now gone!! does that mean norton isn't checking the emails coming into my neoquip email account on OE and puuting them into the anti spam folder?

is thee any way of making OE my default email account again so that Norton works with it?

Last edited by salsa-king; 14 April 2008 at 10:29 PM.