Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Virus

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2002, 12:23 AM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, last week I had a virus.

This week I have it again. Norton finds it and deletes the files. Great.

Thing is everytime I delete it, when I dial up, another email comes in from the same address with the virus.

So, is Norton missing something or is this email be sent to me continuoisly (I've logged on like 20 times tonight trying to fix it so it's not like someone is there sending once or twice a day).

Getting really pi55ed off now as my entire inbox has been deleted and I run a business from home and this could cause serious problems.

Would a firewall help?
Old 28 January 2002, 12:34 AM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

Saw something similar where the SAME mail (as confirmed by the headers) was being downloaded every time the person dialled up their ISP. Turned out to be because they kept copies of mails on the ISP server, their AV software deleted the mail and everytime they then checked for new mail they got the bad one again. Solution was to access their mail via the ISPs web based mail reader and delete the mail from the server.

Probably nothing to do with your situation, but you never know.
Old 28 January 2002, 08:40 AM
MattN
Scooby Regular

sounds about right.

what I found out was that as the mail was downloading from the ISp it was crashing my machine. But as the mail wasn't completing a copy was staying on the server. I did think of this and sent myself a mail (the thinking being the new mail would be the one being displayed in outlook meaning I could manually delete the infected mail), however dopey me sent mail to the wrong account, so some poor chap received a rather offensive email!! I got my ISP to delete all my mail in the end.