Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

GT5 Prologue - collision damage confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2008, 02:47 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT5 Prologue - collision damage confirmed

Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi has revealed that a "major update" is coming for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue later this year, which will add among other things long-awaited vehicle damage.

In an interview with CVG this afternoon, Yamauchi said that the update will also have a big focus on enhancing Prologue's online modes, starting with the addition of various "community building features."

The last bit will come as particularly excellent news to PS3 owners, as the GT5 preview is currently lacking somewhat in the online department.

You can expect the full interview with Mr. Gran Turismo very shortly. Who says it's 'just a demo' now, eh?

source: Gaming News, Reviews, Previews, Cheats & Tips - ComputerAndVideoGames.com
Old 03 April 2008, 04:34 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

2009...2010... who knows?!
Old 03 April 2008, 06:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 game, delivered over 5 years in several parts, sounds like most IT projects.

I will get a PS3 when its released, reveiwed and the shiny black box it runs on comes down to £200.
Old 03 April 2008, 06:50 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

I just bought a Playstation mag today, and one of the guys said a price slash is coming very soon for the PS3. Also due to the 360's infamous RROD, sales were down by 1.5 million last year compared to 2006. Also because of Halo 3 apparently.
Old 03 April 2008, 07:47 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

i remember when the chap in charge of GT4 said you could race online on the ps2, so much so i went and bought a network adapter before it was released

will be good IF the game gets decent damage, best damage i have seen in a game is liveforspeedS2 for the pc, that is how collision damage should be done
Old 03 April 2008, 08:06 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ghetto Dude3
i remember when the chap in charge of GT4 said you could race online on the ps2, so much so i went and bought a network adapter before it was released

will be good IF the game gets decent damage, best damage i have seen in a game is liveforspeedS2 for the pc, that is how collision damage should be done
Given the attention to detail the game aspires to, I'm hoping it'll be good implementation. The dilemma of course is just how much processing power do you hand over to it, especially if there's debris (glass) and smoke flying around?
Old 03 April 2008, 08:26 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
Given the attention to detail the game aspires to, I'm hoping it'll be good implementation. The dilemma of course is just how much processing power do you hand over to it, especially if there's debris (glass) and smoke flying around?
especially given that the game already sometimes slows down when there's smoke / dust being kicked up...

Trending Topics

Old 03 April 2008, 08:40 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Iain i think that is due to the tv's, not the game itself remember this runs at 60 fps during play so if your tv don't support you know what i will say next.The game reviewers say the framerate runs smoother than something that is smooth on a supporting tele that is.
Old 03 April 2008, 09:29 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScooByer Trade
Iain i think that is due to the tv's, not the game itself remember this runs at 60 fps during play so if your tv don't support you know what i will say next.The game reviewers say the framerate runs smoother than something that is smooth on a supporting tele that is.
The TV has got nothing to do with dropping of frames.

The game is designed to look best on a 1080p TV, on which it's claimed the game will run at 60 Hz (frames per second)

If your TV can't manage that and the game runs at 720p or less, if anything the game will run smoother as its throwing around less data.
Old 03 April 2008, 09:56 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

It's got everything to do with the tv, the tv can't support the framerate and it's true that it runs at 24 fps (sorry not 60 fps) during play and half that during the replay (not on the tv i'm using).I agree the game is designed for 1080p and also runs better in 24 fps. The plasmas from Panasonic that will support the true cinema 24 fps and THX approved are the PZ800 and PZ850 and the contrast ratio's are 30,000:1 and 1,000,000:1 in dynamic mode.

Last edited by ScooByer Trade; 03 April 2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03 April 2008, 10:04 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

If you want collision damage in a game check out what's coming this summer to a gaming platform near you!

RACE DRIVER GRID ™| CODEMASTERS
Old 03 April 2008, 11:35 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

I just bought a Playstation mag today, and one of the guys said a price slash is coming very soon for the PS3. Also due to the 360's infamous RROD, sales were down by 1.5 million last year compared to 2006. Also because of Halo 3 apparently.
Translate in english please, sales are down on 360 because of the rrod, yet it's because of halo3 ? what does that mean?

Anywho, is everybody saying the GT guys have released a 20 quid demo which only runs on a 3 grand plasma and needs an 100 quid racing wheel to benefit, oh and forget online racing, if its the choice between 35quid a year for 99% flawless online or free pile o crap psn racing then hey lets go free
Old 03 April 2008, 11:37 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

It's got everything to do with the tv, the tv can't support the framerate and it's true that it runs at 24 fps (sorry not 60 fps) during play and half that during the replay (not on the tv i'm using).I agree the game is designed for 1080p and also runs better in 24 fps. The plasmas from Panasonic that will support the true cinema 24 fps and THX approved are the PZ800 and PZ850 and the contrast ratio's are 30,000:1 and 1,000,000:1 in dynamic mode.
Not with you. Are you saying the game doesn't run at 60Hz on a compatible TV?

Or are you talking about artifacts caused by an incompatible TV messing with the resolution ?

Are you confusing film (24fps) with a computer game (60fps) ?

Last edited by spectrum48k; 03 April 2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03 April 2008, 11:38 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Contrast ratio will not affect a game in the slightest, as for frame rates all pc monitors from the last 5-10yrs have coped quite well and lcd tvs are now more advanced, stop talking crap
Old 03 April 2008, 11:59 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The game runs at 60fps and it does slow down on occasion.

The replays run at 24fps

And it's got absolutely nothing to do with the display.

With regards to sales, PS3 sold more than 360 last month, but we are talking a few thousand - The sales debate is over, they are both selling well, the future of both machines is absolutely assured.
Old 04 April 2008, 12:41 AM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

I think i'am confusing myself Spectrum yeah.

Last edited by ScooByer Trade; 04 April 2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04 April 2008, 05:36 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

More on damage modelling here, and a hint the full GT5 game will include weather....
Gran Turismo creator talks to VideoGamer.com - Gran Turismo 5 Prologue for PS3 News - VideoGamer.com
Old 04 April 2008, 10:05 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

mine runs fine at 1080i with no slowing down
Old 04 April 2008, 10:21 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by swampster
If you want collision damage in a game check out what's coming this summer to a gaming platform near you!

Watching my producers playing this earlier in the week...my god it's good. And as you say, the collision damage is just incredible!!
Old 05 April 2008, 12:08 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
Watching my producers playing this earlier in the week...my god it's good. And as you say, the collision damage is just incredible!!
latest movie of GRID, showing collision damage (click "movies")
Old 05 April 2008, 12:13 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
latest movie of GRID, showing collision damage (click "movies")
The only thing i'm unsure of here, is it a racing game, or a burnout smashemup game?

It actively encourages crashing so i'm guessing it's up against burnout
Old 05 April 2008, 01:15 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

After looking at the game, it's more like Need For Speed Prostreet.
Old 05 April 2008, 04:29 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Having played it this week (beta code) I can tell you it's more sim-led than NFS series. It's a very dynamic game. I for one am very much looking forwards to it as although I love Forza and GT5, they can both be too serious whereas NFS is 2fast2furious for my tastes. There is definitely a GRID-shaped hole in the market, and good luck to them!
Old 05 April 2008, 10:52 PM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

Regarding GRID, is this in the same kind of mould as TOCA on the original Xbox?

GT5 Prologue, After going through the same pain in the *** game update sequence and getting the game up and running. First few races were condusted with the joypad as mu DFP is wired into the PC for rFactor and could not be ar$ed dismantling everything if it turned out to be cack in the end. Handling with the joypad was infuriating to say the least, it was to be expected really as i dont drive a real dcar with an analogue joypad so why should it know how to replicate how a car would handle if it was controlled by a joypad?, so ripped out the wheel and plugged it into the PS3. Selected the appropriate options then set off, physics and general all round handling now feels tighter and sweeter

First thing is the visuals, the sense of immersion is fantastic with the in car view being particularly sweet and extremely handy for close racing. I am loving the rear view mode where it gives you the full interior view as well inc speakers, heated window and rear wash wipe

Hated the physics in the mandatory C, B and A classes with the options to change to simulation physics being locked out so i had to endure a very boring experience trying to clear the levels.

Initial online races were fun as in i hang back and the begining and watch the carnage unfold, tip toe my way round the carnage and trying to keep aware of what is going on about me. Getting a victory was not so hard but it was boring as hell on the std "Arcade" physics and tyres.

Soon as i cleared the last of the A class races in the F430 it was time for some tuning of a new STI and take it online. Due to the fact i had cleared the mandatoiry boring class races i had now unlocked the higher level of online races. Now i do like like the way the grid was set up with the lowest PP car starting at the front. Had great fun coming last all the time but not caring one iota as i was having an absolute hoot drifting the ****** at will. Had a few quality races against other racers on N series of tyres, now we are still finishing at the **** of the pack but you can tell the other guy is trying as hard as you are just trying to keep it on the island.

My hopes for the Prologue version is that we get a couple of more tracks, Top Gear one would be nice, and Private lobbies with the ability to ban/boot/castrate the donkey's that think this is bumper car racing
Old 06 April 2008, 12:46 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

where is the upgrades option or can i not see it yet due to being on the b class races still?
Old 06 April 2008, 02:21 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

After you complete all the classes, you can tune your cars.
Old 06 April 2008, 03:11 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by swampster

That looks really good, lets hope Codemasters don't cripple the PC version with the copy protection stuff like they did with TOCA3, I had a hell of a time trying to get it working because of the Starforce system.
Old 06 April 2008, 05:11 PM
Higgs555
Scooby Newbie

played gt5 prologue online 4 the first time yesterday and the cars are all over the place really badly twiching esp when u start raceing with faster cars. i heard they was havein this problem in japan when it came out over there but hoped they would of sorted it by now

is any one else havein the same problem ive played other racein games online on the ps3 and had no problems with them. i put my router in the same room as the ps3 and had 100% signal strength but that made no difference at all

and as 4 accident damage ill belive it when i see it still waiting 4 gt portable on the psp

Last edited by Higgs555; 06 April 2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06 April 2008, 06:16 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

I had the same online problem, with the Burnout Paradise demo but not as bad.
Old 06 April 2008, 06:40 PM
Higgs555
Scooby Newbie

i played burnout paradise on line and had no prob with that at all