Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

GT5 Prologue - A game that make you extremely angry

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2008, 11:46 AM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT5 Prologue - A game that make you extremely angry

Is it just me or does anyone else find this game incredibly infuriating and unrewarding? Some of the races are on the verge of being impossible not because of player skill but other factors out of your control.

S-Class races are an absolute ****-take, you get penalised for hitting barriers, cutting the corner or collisions. Now you maybe thinking 'hurr dont cut the corners then' or 'huur you suck', but its not me that is causing the above penalties, it is the computer cars ramming into me, getting me penalised while they speed off apparently immune to these stupid rules.

Why do you start in 16th place, where are the qualifying laps? Here is your vehicle, a tricycle, you must come 3rd on the nurburgring against Bugatti Veyrons, you have 1 lap to do so, oh and you have to start in the pits (silverstone pits).

Also has anyone got gold on the Cappucino race in C-class without a) Being rammed up the **** on the straight making your car do 130mph or b) Be the luckiest man on earth and always have a car to slipstream? My best time is 1.39.054 (arrrrrrg).

There is a difference between challenging and verging on the rediculous, I don't think I have played a game that has made me so angry (double dribble on the nes was the last).

Edit: it should be "Makes you" not "Make you" - I am not a caveman

Last edited by Tobisausage; 03 April 2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03 April 2008, 12:02 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with everything you say. The AI is pretty bad, and the computer controlled vehicles don't seem to get any penalties.

Don't even get me started about the terrible online experience. I've not managed one single game yet that hasn't had either terrible lag, or non-stop pinball racing. Not fun at all. I used to think that PGR4 was pretty bad online for bumper car racing, but this GT5 game takes it to an all new (low) level...
Old 03 April 2008, 12:09 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Man, you two losers should learn to be good at it

Old 03 April 2008, 12:15 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Man, you two losers should learn to be good at it

I know you are Joshing, but I have got Gold on C-Class for everything except the cappucino lap, Gold on B-class for everything except the Alpine Lap time, I have Gold on 50% of A, the rest is silver. I have pretty much given up trying to get gold on S-Class.

There are some other stupid things, I can tune my Z06 to over 750BHP, and enter it in a race on B-class against Clio V6's, I don't just win, it is a total ANNIHILATION. Yet you are not even allowed to change the gearing or up the BHP by 1 on that damn cappuncino race, JUST GIVE ME ONE MORE BHP PLEASE

Edit: I feel sorry for anyone who actually owns a cappucino, jesus what a car

Last edited by Tobisausage; 03 April 2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03 April 2008, 12:17 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tobisausage
I know you are Joshing, but I have got Gold on C-Class for everything except the cappucino lap, Gold on B-class for everything except the Alpine Lap time, I have Gold on 50% of A, the rest is silver. I have pretty much given up trying to get gold on S-Class.

There are some other stupid things, I can tune my Z06 to over 750BHP, and enter it in a race on B-class against Clio V6's, I don't just win, it is a total ANNIHILATION. Yet you are not even allowed to change the gearing or up the BHP by 1 on that damn cappuncino race.
I think the thing to bear in mind is that this is a demo of a game that is, in all likelyhood, at least a year away from being released.

I mean the thing to do is to write to polyphony with your concerns - Alright it might do absolutely nothing, but at the end of the day, if they don't know, they won't fix it.
Old 03 April 2008, 12:20 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

I think the thing to bear in mind is that this is a demo of a game that is, in all likelyhood, at least a year away from being released.
I wonder how long Forza 2 took to develop, I bet if you looked hard enough you could find hieroglyphs in reference to the GT5 development on some pyramids.
Old 03 April 2008, 12:33 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

How different was GT4 to GT4 prologue?!?!

Trending Topics

Old 03 April 2008, 12:36 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

I mean the thing to do is to write to polyphony with your concerns - Alright it might do absolutely nothing, but at the end of the day, if they don't know, they won't fix it.
You could say you're Digital Polyphony's BITCHES

You've been pimped out, to iron those bugs out and test the online, in time for the main game arriving next year (probably)

Last edited by spectrum48k; 03 April 2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03 April 2008, 12:46 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I wonder how long Forza 2 took to develop, I bet if you looked hard enough you could find hieroglyphs in reference to the GT5 development on some pyramids.
Well, Forza 2, was effectively a graphical update of Forza 1.

GT5 has more fundamental differences to GT 4
Old 03 April 2008, 12:51 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

It's not a demo. Demos are free. It's a budget priced game using the same engine as the fully fledged GT5 game (whenever that may appear).

For me, this strategy has backfired as having now played the "budget" version, and experienced it's many and varied flaws, it's put me off getting the full game completely. No doubt the final game will sell by the bucket load, but I'll be saving my pennies for something else.
Old 03 April 2008, 12:53 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

The capucino one is the only c class event I dont have gold on, but only figured out where I was going wrong on the final lap (i was always 2 secs away from it).

The penalties are a bit stupid though, especially online so it seems, there was one instance where another driver lost it on the Daytona oval went into a spin and there was nothing I could do to avoid him - I got an 8 sec penalty and the collision strightened his car up!!

It's the controller ruining it for me - lack of vibration and poor controls make me feel completely unconnected with the car.
Old 03 April 2008, 12:54 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

GT5 has more fundamental differences to GT 4
Like what. Seems like pretty much the same game with prettier graphics to me...
Old 03 April 2008, 12:55 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
It's not a demo. Demos are free. It's a budget priced game using the same engine as the fully fledged GT5 game (whenever that may appear).

A demos doesn't have to be free to be classed as " demo".

Its the opposite for me - It has rekindled my love of GT after being completely nonplussed with GT4 -It is massively more advanced than anything else out there, even in "demo/budget" form.
Old 03 April 2008, 12:58 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Like what. Seems like pretty much the same game with prettier graphics to me...
Number of AI, driving physics, AI behaviour, In car views (which fundamentally change the experience), Online racing.

Forza 2 was exactly the same as Forza, but with prettier graphics (which is no bad thing because both games were aces)

All I am saying is that GT5 is more of an advance over GT4, than Forza 2 is of Forza.
Old 03 April 2008, 12:59 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

A demos doesn't have to be free to be classed as " demo".

Its the opposite for me - It has rekindled my love of GT after being completely nonplussed with GT4 -It is massively more advanced than anything else out there, even in "demo/budget" form.
In terms of what? It looks pretty, plays like ****. I would rather have the opposite.
Old 03 April 2008, 01:00 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

It is massively more advanced than anything else out there, even in "demo/budget" form.
Well so far I have experineced bad AI, dodgy controls (when using anything but a wheel), suspect penalties, very bad online experience, strange warping effects on the textures, framerate loss in certain situations, and a few crashes (mainly while loading). Also, considering the 2 hours it took to install (combined with updates), and the large amount of disc space it occupies, the load times seem strangely long. They are just as long as the PS3 F1 game, and that loads everything from the blu-ray disc.

Anyway, if you think that's massively more advanced than anything else out there then fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree
Old 03 April 2008, 01:02 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fight, Fight, Fight

Old 03 April 2008, 02:28 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I think the driving physics have changed a lot since GT4, but I'm undecided if they're a change for the better. So far I'm doing A class races but with the weedier cars. One thing I felt GT4 did better than any other console racer I've played (barring Burnout) was the sense of speed, but that seems missing so far with GT5P so far, hopefully that will change when I rank up a bit.

From what I remember though - GT4 played a lot differently to how GT4 Prologue did.
Old 03 April 2008, 04:16 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Sounds like I have alot to look forward to then

Finally got my copy from Play.com in yesterdays mail

Switched it on and it said this game must be installed, fair enough I thought

Game installed, then says there is an update available, ok lets do it, got about a quarter of the way (took about 20 mins) in then it failed, ok maybe something going on with my broadband, was on the laptop at the same time

Game started none the less, watched the opening sequence, ace graphics, got into the game, picked my first car then went into the events section for an explore, oh news icon whats this? click, update required, ok lets try again, same thing happened again, failed

Had a couple of c class races then had another explore, thought I would try GT TV, and again, update required, ok 3rd time lucky I thought lets go, I sat waiting for over and hour, it got about 2 thirds in then failed again

Did anyone else have so much bother trying to install this feckin update?

Even after all this I did enjoy playing the few races I did before I got so pi$$ed off I switched off and went to bed. Dont think it will put me off buying the full game though, when eventually released. I just hope they see sense and loose these stupid penalties you guys are talking about.
Old 03 April 2008, 04:37 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Is it just me or does anyone else find this game incredibly infuriating and unrewarding? Some of the races are on the verge of being impossible not because of player skill but other factors out of your control.

S-Class races are an absolute ****-take, you get penalised for hitting barriers, cutting the corner or collisions. Now you maybe thinking 'hurr dont cut the corners then' or 'huur you suck', but its not me that is causing the above penalties, it is the computer cars ramming into me, getting me penalised while they speed off apparently immune to these stupid rules.

Why do you start in 16th place, where are the qualifying laps? Here is your vehicle, a tricycle, you must come 3rd on the nurburgring against Bugatti Veyrons, you have 1 lap to do so, oh and you have to start in the pits (silverstone pits).

Also has anyone got gold on the Cappucino race in C-class without a) Being rammed up the **** on the straight making your car do 130mph or b) Be the luckiest man on earth and always have a car to slipstream? My best time is 1.39.054 (arrrrrrg).

There is a difference between challenging and verging on the rediculous, I don't think I have played a game that has made me so angry (double dribble on the nes was the last).

Edit: it should be "Makes you" not "Make you" - I am not a caveman
Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw is that you

Was it just me that read that in a Zero Punctuation style ? Great post
Old 03 April 2008, 08:35 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Bloody update has failed again, TWICE!!!

I cant see that I am doing anything wrong, it is a simple case of clicking ok, having no problems with wireless connection on the laptop or signing in on the PS3

Anyone any ideas???
Old 03 April 2008, 08:51 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

What does pee me off, is i find k***h**d hosts cutting some of the races short just before the timer gets to 00:00. Also people driving into the back of me or ramming me into the barriers and don't get black flagged. What is the cause of the eratic movements ?, would that be because the race was finished early ?.
Old 04 April 2008, 09:33 AM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CupraDave
Bloody update has failed again, TWICE!!!

I cant see that I am doing anything wrong, it is a simple case of clicking ok, having no problems with wireless connection on the laptop or signing in on the PS3

Anyone any ideas???
Mine failed twice as well, I have a network point near my PS3 though so I plugged in an ethernet cable and it worked.
Old 04 April 2008, 09:43 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScooByer Trade
What does pee me off, is i find k***h**d hosts cutting some of the races short just before the timer gets to 00:00. Also people driving into the back of me or ramming me into the barriers and don't get black flagged. What is the cause of the eratic movements ?, would that be because the race was finished early ?.
I think so yes, there's a note at the bottom of the matchmaking screen that says the host is responsible for finishing the race otherwise everyon else may suffer problems - but I don't think it tells who the host is...
Old 04 April 2008, 10:34 AM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Mine failed twice as well, I have a network point near my PS3 though so I plugged in an ethernet cable and it worked.
hmmm cheers for that will have to figure out how to connect via cable, I dont have a plug in point next to my PS3 I use wireless
Old 04 April 2008, 01:09 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

To add to the download debate mine failed once but fine 2nd time out, i'm impressed with the graphics but not much else so far, it is rather samey samey as GT4, London circuit is a big let down, hopefully they'll expand that course in the main game, otherwise its just bland buildings with a quick glimpse of Trafalgar Sq and again through Piccadilly Circus, Daytona (yawn), do we really need another oval ?

Anyone remember the Rome course from GT2 the short course with lots of red and white curbing, loved that track, more like that please, I hope they bring over the costa de amalfi imagine 16 people on line racing round there ! demolition derby style, the ring had better be on th full game as well.

Jury's out on this one so far

Will
Old 04 April 2008, 02:29 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Yeah, Rome was a good course, it was also in GT3 and I was suprised it never made it into GT4, but I was glad to sacrifice it if the drop was so that Nordschleife & Le Sarthe could be included.

Another good track from yesteryear was Red Rock Valley from GT2, used to love that one.

I'm actually quite glad they've gone with a real world oval, but thought they might have used the brickyard rather than Daytona, unless the F1 licensing was a problem.

Hoping the rally section will get some proper stages - Oijinpohja (sp?), Marjam Park & Col De Turini would be good.
Old 04 April 2008, 03:58 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

I've got a bit of a glitch problem, i just started on the High Speed Ring in a normal black Viper coupe' and i've got a line coming from the drivers side and goes to the top left of the screen.Anyone know how to get rid of the line, also the colour changes.
Old 04 April 2008, 10:01 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i find the steering a bit heavy on the cars is there any way to make it lighter?
Old 05 April 2008, 01:28 AM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
i find the steering a bit heavy on the cars is there any way to make it lighter?
Switch on the power steering option

Quick Reply: GT5 Prologue - A game that make you extremely angry