Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dell laptop wireless card probs

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2008, 12:26 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dell laptop wireless card probs

It would appear that the wifes laptop wireless card is on its last legs,

she's struggling to maintain a wirless connection to the router. the connection speed initialises at 54mbs, but then swings between 1.0mbs to 2mbs or occasionally to 38mbs.

Initial thoughts were the router (bebox) and a fruitless call to BE failed to resolve the issue. (they wont replace the router unless its dead, dying is ok to them.

I hooked up my old belkin router, and its still the same, which points toward the wireless card in the lappy.

Luckily i had a usb wirless stick, that came with the router, so i set that in, and its got a rock solid 54mbs connection to the router. (bebox again)

So it looks like the wireless card is kaput.

A search on flebay shows loads specific to her model, Inspiron 1300, and loads which claim to be compatible, question is , are they compatible?

does it have to be the model specific card, or will a generic micro usb card type work?

Mart