Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sony wanted messiah customers names etc etc

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2002, 12:07 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Just been reading on the cd-rom bb,and they say that in the recent court case against channeltech(the makers of Messiah),sony wanted all the details of every customer who ordered and recieved a Messiah Modchip.Gazza the main man at CT agreed to NOT supply sony with the list and had to pay £15000 to Sony !!!!!

Also in another post,it says that The Messiah code had to be given to sony(bet they had it anyway!)and this will be used to put copy protection onto new releases,making the Messiah useless

I dont know how true these statements are but if you goto
www.cdrom-guide.com and look in the ps2 forums you can make up your own mind.

Duncan
Old 27 January 2002, 12:48 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Yikes - but I doubt Sony could have done anything. Its not a crime to BUY one surely. Proving you've fitted it and use it actively is another matter.

Wonder how effectively Sony could add anti-messiah technology to their games ?

Did NEO Technologies have to submit their code too ? If so, thats means any game would have to scan for the presence of both a NEO4 and a Messiah.

Lets hope lots and lots of modchip solutions become available!
Old 27 January 2002, 01:22 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Even with checks made by games for a modchip,it won't stop there. I seem to remember the old PS and some games checking for a modchip.All that happened then was you downloaded the relevent crack from the web which defeated it.......
Don't be worried guys cos the web is always one step ahead of the developers!!!!
Duncan,I assume this is the article on cdrom guide that you were referring to http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/sh...threadid=12557

Cheers,

Nick..

P.S: You can download the legal documents from the court case via Playstationmods website http://216.177.51.41/news.htm
Old 27 January 2002, 04:35 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

yep,thats the one Nick.

Is there a codemaster game(think its a snooker one)that has FADE protection built into it??
read it somewhere on the web.

The crack teams will be worked hard once again
whatever protection they put on the games It Will be Defeated
Old 28 January 2002, 08:22 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

it is illegal to purchase the modchip .. intent to commit a crime etc.. if you fitted it more they can do you on...
Old 28 January 2002, 12:55 PM
Gareth Allan
Scooby Regular

I dont think it is illegal to buy, or fit, a modchip.

It is only illegal if you use it to play pirated software, thus infringing copyrights.

G
Old 28 January 2002, 01:08 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

If it is illegal to fit a modchip to a machine ,that means hundreds of thousands of Children in the uk,will be arrested and prosecuted for chipping their psx's and ps2's!!!Some will only be about 7 or 8 years of age!

What about all the dvd players that are region free??
will they be prosecuted because it sounds like its illegal to play dvds which are not destined for the uk!!!

It is not illegal to purchase a modchip!!

Its like cars ,if superchips change your ecu chip with one of theirs,they should be prosecuted because it allows the car to run different boost/fuel/air settings than the original!!!

All i can say to Sony is ****(^£"....
Old 29 January 2002, 08:29 AM
KF
Scooby Regular

scoobynutter,
"Its like cars ..."
Erm, no it isn't.
Old 29 January 2002, 01:14 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

KF,
Errm,yes it is!
FKUK me its only a example!!If you read all the thread you will know that it was an example of modifying a car ecu to run different settings,LIKE THE PS2 running imports!!

If its illegal to modify your console to do something else,EGlay imported games,Then why is it not illegal to modify your ECU to run more fuel/boost?????????????????????????.Subaru,Mitsi's,Niss an ecu's are copywrited,modifying should be a infringement of the copywrite and patents act!!!

If sony can take away our right to play imported DVD's and cd's because they were not destined to come to this country,how do Car Grey imports(not destined for the uk)get past this ???.

i await your reply
Old 29 January 2002, 02:26 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

Not wanting to dissapoint

DVD's:
You buy a DVD with a licence, it states what you can do with it. Sony are licenced to provide a player that can only play one region. They own huge software production / distribution and marketing infrastructure, and would rather you don't undermine their own vested interest, so they maintain the regions.

Copy Protection:
I am sure you are bright enough not to need a full discussion on this. Lost revenue streams, less money to make new games, etc etc.

"If sony can take away our right to play imported DVD's and cd's because they were not destined to come to this country,how do Car Grey imports(not destined for the uk)get past this"
Erm. That question makes no sense. There is no contradiction. Sony can (and did), and Grey imports are allowed by law. Seems simple to me.
KF.
Old 29 January 2002, 07:42 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

KF,
you are such a clever bloke
I now realize where i have been going wrong all my life,.
I have been into the modchip scene for over 15 years so i think i know what i'm talking about

you better scuttle off back to the muppet forum

goodbye
Old 29 January 2002, 11:50 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

nutter...
With respect : if you know what you are talking about, the secret is to write it in a form that people understand, otherwise they infer you are talking crap.
KF.
Old 30 January 2002, 08:34 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

There is valid point in this debate: a UK judge has ruled that it is illegal to circumvent the region restrictions of dvds or software for licensing reasons.

This really does leave import DVDs and multi-region DVD players in a legal mess. There is now a precedent, not merely a grey area.

IMHO, it will depend on how much hassle and bad press the film makers will want to bring upon themselves as to whether they follow it up...
Old 30 January 2002, 08:54 AM
KF
Scooby Regular

The entire issue is about a peripheral side effect of the chips that enables the console to play pirated games.

The case was brought under section 296 of the Copyright, Design and Patents Act 1998, pertaining to devices designed to circumvent copy protection mechanisms. Sony were relatively powerless until this law came in.

Judge Jacob (presiding) said of region hacks "it is irrelevant in this case whether this is legitimate or not because the predominant use of the mod-chip was for playing pirated software."
KF.

EDIT: Removed antagonistic opening line.

[Edited by KF - 1/30/2002 8:57:29 AM]
Old 30 January 2002, 09:42 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

KF,
Sounds like you've been reading the documents from the courtcase? lol

Boys,don't worry your pretty heads over all this.I do HAVE a messiah and do I look bothered?

Just thought I'd bring a little smile to this debate!!!!

Cheers,

Nick..
Old 30 January 2002, 09:47 AM
KF
Scooby Regular

Nick (Adams),
Not yet - I think the transcripts are due any day now. Then we will find out if Nick (Chiark) is right about a precedent.

Notably if you just want to watch other region DVD's Techtronics are doing their usual mod chip - they haven't been approached by Sony. Why? Cos the chips they sell don't allow pirated disks to be played <repeat to fade>

KF.
Old 30 January 2002, 01:30 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

QUOTE ."Write it in a form people understand"

What like you!!
seems like you have studied the courtcase against Channel tech and Neo technologies.I dont have time to read pages and pages of legal Crap,quoting rules and reg's that people dont understand.

I am very sorry that my Typing isnt up to your standard(BS,kitemark 4562 regulation 2/1.54,of the English language)
but i'm not here for a English lesson.

Finally,What started off as a Good post ended like this.I wont bother to post on my thread again.

Hope to meet you soon on a Scoobynet meet

Old 30 January 2002, 01:31 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

I hereby declare that Nick should remove his Messiah chip and send it to me, immediately.

I know were to get NEO4s from now, but I WANT a Messiah.

-DV

Old 30 January 2002, 01:37 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

Christ mate.
I am sorry I was confused by your analogy, sorry I questioned it and sorry I offended you.

I return your sullied thread back to your and promise not to attempt to enlighten those who are grabbing the wrong end of the stick, ever again.

KF.
Old 30 January 2002, 01:59 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Blimey,this has all got a little outta hand now guys!!!
KF - The legal documents are available and have been available since sunday or something like that.The url is above where they can be downloaded from. (Playstationmods.com website in fact!) Look under one of my earlier posts!!!!!
Daz,glad that someone else (Apart from me!) is trying to make this thread as light-hearted as possible.I'll get the messiah in the post to you for tomorrow? Shall we say £150??? Supply and demand and all that........ lol

Cheers,

Nick..
Old 30 January 2002, 02:09 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

In common with others, it never fails to amaze me how people who'll pay loads for plastic bits and jazzy exhaust pipes brakes etc. on 20 grand cars will faff about to the ends of the Earth for their right to "steal" things and save a few quid.

Legal precedents, technical hoo haa, all tosh. Would it be fair to chip a bank ATM? After all the contents aren't their personal copyright are they?

Bunch of penny pinching stinge bags.
Old 30 January 2002, 02:20 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

Nick
I had read your earlier post. I didn't know that they were the actual injunction, but my understanding is that there is more to come. I may be wrong.

I was being ironic in my previous post, and couldn't give a tinkers cuss if I have offended someone who is being over dramatic about me making their thread unpalatable. I assume that he was also joking ( liberal sprinkling of 's ). If not, then

KF.
Old 30 January 2002, 05:49 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Who are you referring to as being a "Penny pinching stinge bag" Barry????
I hope it ain't me!
Do you really understand the modchip scene uh? It's not all about playing copied games.There are things such as being able to play jap/us imports that aren't available in this country too you know!!!!!!!
Anyway,I'm saying no more on this subject (For now!) cos your statement (If it refers to me!) has REALLY pi55ed me off!

Nick..
Old 30 January 2002, 07:04 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

No KF,it was the way you first posted on this thread,.
taking the pi$$ when i said about chipping cars.Have a look back on this thread and see your first remark to meyou didnt even explain your reason,its like your just out to cause grief.

Have a look back on my 200posts and see if i have ever replied to anyone else like i have done to you here on scoobynet.
If you start off with a "chip" on your shoulder and take the pi$$ out of people ,how are people going to react to you??

Barry,
yes i have a modchipped ps2 and no i dont buy illegal copied gamesI buy original imports which are more expensive than the uk versions so i am not a "penny Pincher"as you call it

Old 30 January 2002, 11:16 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

Smile

Lets try to get the right tone with this one...

Analogys don't work in this case. It isn't like anything else out there - that is why there is such a debate about legal precedents, and such keen interest in the outcome.

(sincerely) Sorry the first post came over as a **** take - it was an abridged version of a post that I though too verbose. I was assuming the reader would think a little about the words, not take it as a wind up / flame bait / insult.

Then I misunderstood your use of smilies. Maybe it is because you really were angry and wanted to have a go at me, but felt compelled to be cordial - reading words on a screen isn't a good way of understanding people. Sorry I misinterpreted you.

Chip on the shoulder (pun intended?), dunno... I don't know if you would like me if we met at a Scoobynet meet (you seem to have made your mind up), but I suspect I am probably not the sort of person you think I am.
KF.
Old 31 January 2002, 01:05 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Ok
thread closed.