Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT home Hub

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2008, 01:18 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BT home Hub

I'm a Virginmedia kinbda guy but setup a home hub for one of my family..

I say setup .. I plugged it in, detected the network and went online !

The best and easiest wireless install I have ever done in my life !!

Spot on signal strenght... spot on looks ! only issue BT are retards and sent two home hubs instead of a dongle for the PC.. £9.99 from PC world and jobs done !!

Thought I'd come on here and praise them !!

I've supported Broadband for a number of years via technical support lines and honestly never found a router work so well !! and with so little hassle !!

Old 27 March 2008, 10:15 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It must have improved then from when I last used it. The ones I did were rotten, used to do home visits for staff in my Uni to set up broadband etc. Our blood chilled when we saw they had a home hub . Replacing them for Netgears fixed all the problems though
Old 29 March 2008, 01:16 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with mike on this one - never had anything but problems with friends or family trying to use the damn things.

I think they're probably OK for a simple PC accessing the Internet.... but....

... try and do anything more with it, like file sharing across the LAN and online gaming and other more interesting stuff and they prove to be a whole bucketload of trouble.

One of the main problems with them is as they're so "plug and play" to set them up, you often find that simple questions like "What's you WEP/WAP key?" entirely confusing to anyone that owns one - Similarly MAC addresses, firewall settings, even accessing the 'admin' console on a home-hub... "Oh it might say something in the book", "Where's the book?", "Oh, I threw it in the recycling as everything just worked."

Give me a Netgear or Linksys any day!