Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Just Got a PS3

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2008, 03:14 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Got a PS3

I've just got a PS3 and i've got to i'm quite chuffed with it, i px'd my 360 (and all the bits and bobs that go with it) in for it at game so only had to pay about £100 for it, i got vegas 2 and Uncharted with the ps3 and both games play great, gotta get used to the PS controllers again, there not as nice to hold as the xbox ones, and i'm well pleased with the remote play function with my psp i can see me getting some good use out of that. Gotta say it seems to take a lot longer loading up games than my xbox did, but it's so quiet i'm willing to let that one go. Has anyone got any good Subaru themes i can use ? And also how do you look at the Harddrive on the ps3 so you can see what crap is on there ?
Old 23 March 2008, 03:21 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

where did u p/ex it ,how many xbox games did you get rid off .
how much did you get
Old 23 March 2008, 04:24 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

I px'd it at a Game for a my 360 premium plus 5 games and the wireless adaptor i got £195.
Old 23 March 2008, 07:52 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Strange choice, but good luck with it

Got both, and the PS3 is rapidly gathering dust (not turned it on for 3 weeks, but use the 360 all the time). Looking forward to GT5 at the end of the week though...
Old 23 March 2008, 08:00 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

i bought a PS3 the day it came out , i then proceeded to buy 5 games and noticed it was a descent ornament as all i was doing was playing the 360 !!

so i punted it to a buddy for 300 notes with all the games , and bought new games for the 360

now here we are a good while later and i want another PS3 as these prologue adverts are coming in thick and fast (i so wanna blast an integrale round the dirt track !! )
Old 23 March 2008, 09:30 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

I'm telling you now there are some brilliant games coming out on PS3 only and most of the games on xbox come out on ps3 now, and from what i've seen the ps3 is opening up avenues the xbox carn't.
alot of my mates have taken the same route by swapping xbox's for ps3's the only thing that stopped people buying em was the price and now their not. Sony will rule the roost again mark my words.

Last edited by BooSH; 23 March 2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 23 March 2008, 09:59 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BooSH
I'm telling you now there are some brilliant games coming out on PS3 only and most of the games on xbox come out on ps3 now, and from what i've seen the ps3 is opening up avenues the xbox carn't.
alot of my mates have taken the same route by swapping xbox's for ps3's the only thing that stopped people buying em was the price and now their not. Sony will rule the roost again mark my words.
That's why I've got both, however I can't see any brilliant PS3 only games on the horizon yet, and the 360 online service is far superior than the laughable (and slow) Sony effort. I know about 5 people with a PS3, and the only thing they are using it for is a blu-ray player.

Trending Topics

Old 23 March 2008, 10:34 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Uncharted, metal gear solid, gran tourismo i'd count them as class games the xbox will never see but i don't want to turn this into an argument BUT the PS3 has more life in it than the 360.
Old 23 March 2008, 10:53 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

BUT the PS3 has more life in it than the 360.
that is because the 360 is middle aged now, and starting to go grey
Old 23 March 2008, 11:18 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Uncharted, metal gear solid, gran tourismo i'd count them as class games the xbox will never see but i don't want to turn this into an argument BUT the PS3 has more life in it than the 360.
Uncharted - played it, and finished it in a day. Not bad, but not great.

Metal gear - looking like it's going to be more fmv than game. If I wanted to watch a movie I'd rent one.

Gran tourismo - looking pretty, but it needs to bring something new to the table (GT4 was just plain boring). GT5 Prologue should give us some idea of what's in store.

As for more life, only time will tell. Don't forget the 360 has been out a lot longer than the PS3, and it's likely that the next xbox will be released well before the PS4, (and likely make the PS3 look very dated). An interesting couple of years coming up I think
Old 24 March 2008, 01:30 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Strange, id never be without a 360 as the PS3 doesn't compete for online gameplay.
Old 24 March 2008, 11:50 AM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Uncharted - played it, and finished it in a day. Not bad, but not great.

Metal gear - looking like it's going to be more fmv than game. If I wanted to watch a movie I'd rent one.

Gran tourismo - looking pretty, but it needs to bring something new to the table (GT4 was just plain boring). GT5 Prologue should give us some idea of what's in store.

As for more life, only time will tell. Don't forget the 360 has been out a lot longer than the PS3, and it's likely that the next xbox will be released well before the PS4, (and likely make the PS3 look very dated). An interesting couple of years coming up I think
Bet your one of the guys that played GT4 with the Arcade tyres on, should have tried it with the Simulation tyres to find out how good GT4 really was. This is an example of how GT4 should have been treated, driver yours truly

Click here to watch "TheSquirrel555 killing the Ring" on Simulation tyres and no ABS or TC, also note the use of the 900 degree feature to catch the massive tankslapper exiting the Karussel

Now after that session if i remember right, the palms of my hand were like the River Clyde and my heart was trying to jump out of my chest.

When the next 360 comes out, it will probably be a rush job the same as this version was. If MS had delayed the launch of the 360 to iron out the reliabilty bugs the same way Sony did with the PS3 then both machines would have been on the same life cycle. When the next 360 hits the shelves i for one will not bebuying a launch day machine, like every other console i have owned but will wait a year or two to see how it pans out

As i own FIFA on both consoles i have now moved over to the PS3 on this particular game (TheSquirrel555 was last on Live when?) due to more stable aspect of the online play on the PS3. Playing the Yanks, or indeed anyone outside the UK, at FIFA was becoming a right royal pain in the *** on Live with random disconnections happening almost every game. In the last 2 months odd i have not had one single disconnection on the PSN and have been playing guys in Aus, HK and Japan with no issues. I think the last PS3 update has done wonders to the net code and back to back testing of FIFA for me puts the PS3 ahead of the 360 in terms of online performance. Agtain for me Live has never been the same in terms of performance since last Christmas time.
Old 24 March 2008, 01:18 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Sony have said they plan to have a 10 year life cycle to the PS3 by then it will be unbelivebly polished i'd imagine, And at the minute the ps3 is now probably cheaper than the xbox the ps3 can be had now for £259 which by the time you've added on the wifi adaptor and hd drive for the 360 the ps3 looks like a far better package now the price has come down.
Old 24 March 2008, 01:52 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on your purchase BooSH, enjoy it, I love my PS3!

Oh yeah, you will also notice most of the guys on here are Xbox fanboys and love having a pop at the PS3!

Especially Iain Young....I think he works for microsoft!

Each to their own I say, bit like Evo's and Scoobs
Old 24 March 2008, 01:58 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Iain has both. Always seems to me that the PS3 crew always have to justify their purchase while the 360 lot just get on with enjoying their console.
Old 24 March 2008, 02:13 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Iain has both. Always seems to me that the PS3 crew always have to justify their purchase while the 360 lot just get on with enjoying their console.
Yeah, I know he does, I was just having a bit of a laugh.

I think they only have to justify it because everyone with an Xbox insists the PS3 is rubbish.

Like I said, I don't care what anyone else buys, I'm happy with mine and that's all that matters.
Old 24 March 2008, 02:39 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

I've got both (launch day PS3) Still keep meaning to get Uncharted as the demo was very good. Apart from that only got RFOM and Motorstorm which I got on release day BUT I did buy mine as a BR Player 1st and the games console 2nd, as I game, like most on the 360...Apart from Guitar Hero and COD4 I've not played anything else for months lol.

Wouldn't be without both IMO.
Old 24 March 2008, 06:06 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

never gonna sell my 360 never i tell u but i am gonna pick up a ps3 later in year for the blu-ray player and probs GT5 although forza is amazing
Old 24 March 2008, 06:38 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Bingo.
Old 24 March 2008, 08:04 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Awesomepossum
Bet your one of the guys that played GT4 with the Arcade tyres on
Absolutely not. I'm the type of guy that used to play F1 games of the PC in full simulation mode, (no driver aids at all) and full race distances. I just found GHT4 to have very bad physics, and it got boring very quickly. I just hope they have changed something for GT5.

In the last 2 months odd i have not had one single disconnection on the PSN
Interesting. I've had several, and have found some games on PSN to be unplayable. The 360 live service is far, far quicker for me. And don't get me started about download speeds from the PSN...

Agtain for me Live has never been the same in terms of performance since last Christmas time.
Again, no problems here. What internet provider do you use?

As for the tired old PS3 vs Xbox debate, I don't give a toss about the platform. I just want good games (don't care whether they are on the Sony machine or the MS one). In my house at the moment, the PS3 is gathering dust and the 360 is getting used nearly every day.
Old 25 March 2008, 12:28 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I have both, but the PS3 was half the cost of the 360.

I like them both the same for gaming, but the PS3 is so much quieter and is a good blu-ray player so it wins it for me.
Old 25 March 2008, 12:36 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Strange choice, but good luck with it

Got both, and the PS3 is rapidly gathering dust (not turned it on for 3 weeks, but use the 360 all the time). Looking forward to GT5 at the end of the week though...
Ditto Owned a PS3 for just over a year now, and hardly used it. Last game bought for it was 'Ratchet and Clank'. Find I'm pretty much always on the 360, as a majority of my mates have one, and they are so much easier to set-up and go with (Especially with the on-game chat). Got fed up with how many times the PS3 wanted an update before you could play a game, and the waiting time for the download to come in at was a joke. The second spot goes to the Wii as at the moment I picked up some cheapo Gamecube games for it, which are for some reason better than the actual Wii games in some cases. Had considered selling the PS3, but looking at GT5 has changed my mind at the moment.
Old 25 March 2008, 12:43 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I have both, but the PS3 was half the cost of the 360.

I like them both the same for gaming, but the PS3 is so much quieter and is a good blu-ray player so it wins it for me.
Not quite sure how you bought a ps3 for half the cost of a 360??

As for the ps3 being a 10yr console, i think Sony (if they have actually said this) have their head up their ****, the way technology is moving no console or pc can make such a claim.
Old 25 March 2008, 12:43 AM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

Absolutely not. I'm the type of guy that used to play F1 games of the PC in full simulation mode, (no driver aids at all) and full race distances. I just found GHT4 to have very bad physics, and it got boring very quickly. I just hope they have changed something for GT5.

Interesting. I've had several, and have found some games on PSN to be unplayable. The 360 live service is far, far quicker for me. And don't get me started about download speeds from the PSN...

Again, no problems here. What internet provider do you use?

As for the tired old PS3 vs Xbox debate, I don't give a toss about the platform. I just want good games (don't care whether they are on the Sony machine or the MS one). In my house at the moment, the PS3 is gathering dust and the 360 is getting used nearly every day.
Virgin connection

Watch the video and tell me there is something wrong with the physics. Generally the car was treated like i would have a real Impreza with that much power. With a proper set up, i mean geometry, gearing, diffs and tyres, GT4 can give a lifelike experience. Straight out the box i agree it is as boring as accel, brake turn accel brake turn repeat ad infinatum. Hence my constant query as to why you find GT4 boring and i find it one of the best Sims out there

With the amount of 360 fans on here, i feel the need sometimes to balance the argument.
Old 25 March 2008, 11:33 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Hmm, VM cable (20mb) connection here. Xbox live is quick, responsive, and never seems to drop. PSN is slow as a slow thing from the planet slow, and seems to disconnect quite frequently.

Originally Posted by Awesomepossum
Straight out the box i agree it is as boring as accel, brake turn accel brake turn repeat ad infinatum. Hence my constant query as to why you find GT4 boring and i find it one of the best Sims out there
I spent a lot of time trying to set the the thing up, but never managed to get it behaving like a real car. You could brake in places that would just send you flying off into the scenery in real life. Not realistic at all imo. Also, the AI on the opponents was just plain bad. Forza2 is a bit better (but still not great), but the online mode helps save it. in that respect.

With the amount of 360 fans on here, i feel the need sometimes to balance the argument.
Not a 360 fan. I'm a games fan (don't care what console it's on). So far, the PS3 is turning out to be an expensive paperweight...
Old 25 March 2008, 12:06 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I have a 360 and a Wii and although I've made the quip at the PS3, now the price is on a par with the Elite the only things I've got against the PS3 are the horrible controller and severe lack of games.
Old 25 March 2008, 12:16 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

I have a Xbox 360, a PS3 and a Wii. I have 22 Xbox 360 games, 15 Wii games and 1 PS3 game. The last 5 games I purchased for the Xbox 360 were also released on the PS3 but I chose the Xbox platform. I have played my PS3as a games machine for a weekend, not touched it since.

I am in agreement with Iain 100%.
Old 25 March 2008, 12:21 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
Not quite sure how you bought a ps3 for half the cost of a 360??

As for the ps3 being a 10yr console, i think Sony (if they have actually said this) have their head up their ****, the way technology is moving no console or pc can make such a claim.
Managed to get one very cheap through my sisters work so that only applies to me.

Xbox cost double once I had bought the things needed over the PS3.
Old 25 March 2008, 01:01 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I've never had a problem with PS3 downloads - seems to go like a rocket compared to the 360 and PC.

as per gaming online - I had very few problems with either lately since Xmas. there's supposedly a lot of problems with Ubisofts servers for R6V2 but mine's been faultless.
Old 25 March 2008, 01:05 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

The latest PS3 update to 1 and a half hours to download and install for me the other night. I thought my connection might be to blame, but PC and 360 downloads were going very fast.

Had the PS3 for a couple of months now, and I've not managed to get a quick download from it yet.

Quick Reply: Just Got a PS3