Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Microsoft Vista WHY

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2008, 06:04 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Microsoft Vista WHY

Hi
Well as most people out there have done, I have moved over to vista and I so wish I had not.

firstly my MSN wont work tried changing the password and still the two little men go round and round.

Second I have to use Windows Media Player 11 and I don't like it I used to use 10 and it was fine. It now won't open any files not sure how to put the ticks in what I want it to open, don't even know where and im not that good with all the program names E.G

Avi Mg3 etc etc

anyone out there can you help or will I have to go back to my Windows XP

Chel xx
Old 18 March 2008, 07:22 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Default Forgot to mention

I can not see my partners computer and I can not print from his computer.

Chel xxx
Old 18 March 2008, 07:44 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Change your network location to work and not public otherwise it blocks file sharing and printing between computers

Also check your time, sometimes MSN wont sign in if your time is not the correct time
Old 18 March 2008, 07:44 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

IMHO unless you really have to dont touch Vista,there are so many conflicts and issues I cant see what you gain from a stable XP.
Old 18 March 2008, 08:06 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had it for a year on my laptop (dual core, decent spec) as dual boot. I hardly ever use it except to remind me why I don't use it.

Building a new desktop PC I decided to install XP rather than Vista. It is quicker, uses less resources. Doing a SATA RAID install would have been a little easier, other than that I fail to see the point.
Old 18 March 2008, 09:18 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've had it for about a year an a half on my work laptop. Use it evey day for around 10-11 hours and it's great. Also got it installed on my own laptop and desktop at home. In both cases it's running faster than XP did on the same hardware (especially with SP1 installed) and is more stable (been rock solid in fact).

I've found that XP actually uses more resources than Vista, especially ram (don't forget that Vista handles memory very differently so you can't do a direct comparison).

So Vista = better memory / resource handling, better indexing, and it's prettier

Probably not worth upgrading solely for the sake of it, but it works absolutely fine as long as your hardware has decent drivers for the OS.
Old 19 March 2008, 12:57 AM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Smile SP1

So is the SP1 ready and not a beta? if so where can I get it? whats the link please.

please dont send me to a page full of links I will get confussed

Thank you

Chel xxx

Trending Topics

Old 19 March 2008, 07:20 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Sorry but Vista isnt stable, I am dealing with so many issue with usb etc(especially laptops) that most domestic PC users are just formating and having XP put on,
The latest updates arent going to help anyone if anything its expected to cause more conflicts.
Old 19 March 2008, 09:14 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Vista is stable

Dont really have any issues, but then our customers tend to use relatively new hardware so everything does seem to work just fine

A lot of people are skeptical about Vista but tbh im starting to see less and less reasons not to use it, especially on laptops

Windows XP - For people who dont like change
Windows Vista - For people who havent really had a computer before
Old 19 March 2008, 09:22 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Vista should be kept in a stable
Windows Vista - For people who havent really had a computer before and dont know their **** from their elbow
edited for accuracy
Old 19 March 2008, 09:22 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I've been running Vista for about a year and a half, and I've had no problems with it. It certainly seems more stable than XP was.

The only times I can remember it crashing has been when I've pushed my luck too far with overclocking.

I thought I had a problem with, as there was a display problem where it seemed to show some random hot pixels... and that turned out to be my fault for setting the refresh rate a too high for the monitor.
Old 19 March 2008, 09:50 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I'm running Vista ok too, just put SP1 on it which has put file transfers back to the speed they should have been in the first place.
It's not what i'd call an essential upgrade and if you have a working, stable copy of XP i'd not bother upgrading.
I had a lot of driver issues when I first installed it but within a month of release Sony had issued new drivers.
It's never crashed on me yet unlike XP which had a habit of crashing at random (although not that often).
I like it but I can see why a lot of people are steering clear of it for now.
Old 19 March 2008, 09:51 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Vista rocks, XP sucks, end of argument

Now, how about helping the OP out with her problems? (which clearly have sod all to do with whether Vista is any good or not, it just needs configuring)
Old 19 March 2008, 10:05 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

DJ Dunk, you're right!

Windows Media Player 11 first - the menus are turned off normally.
If you right click anywhere on the black bar at the top of the screen in WMP11 next to where it says "Now Playing","Library","Rip","Burn" etc then there is an option to Show Classic Menus. This brings the normal menus up at the top of the screen as per WMP 10.

MSN - works for me on Vista , you'll need a newer version than you probably used on XP.
Go to Windows Live Services and download the latest version.

HTH.
Old 19 March 2008, 10:09 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

p.s. If you right click on a file in Vista (ie an MP3) an select Open With>Choose Default Program , you can then choose WMP11 as the default player. Just tick the box that says "Always use the selected program to open this type of file".

Next time you double click an MP3 it'll then open with WMP11.

Last edited by bugeyeandy; 19 March 2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 19 March 2008, 02:31 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Same here - been on Vista ages with no problems at all, much better OS
Old 19 March 2008, 08:25 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

I dont see vista of any better use, the search thing on start menu worked perfect for a couple of weeks, then started to take ages.....

it more pleases the eyes rather than get on with the task.. I had it on my laptop, and my webcam never worked. loads of other software crashed...
I went back to my old xp, more reliable.....long live xp
Old 19 March 2008, 08:28 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Underworld
I had it on my laptop, and my webcam never worked. loads of other software crashed...
You should use better software

I went back to my old xp, more reliable.....long live xp
Where is my abacus, that never broke down. Simple fact is that Vista is reliable as long as the drivers and software you are using is supported properly.
Old 19 March 2008, 10:07 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Ok My computer is new came with Vista, I share my internet with another in the same room. I can not see his folders and he can not see mine and I can not print????? also I have the latest MSN and it won't work??? these are my main problems..

Chel xx
Old 19 March 2008, 10:14 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Chel

I give you some of the answers in my first post directly after yours

Have you tried them yet ?
Old 20 March 2008, 11:22 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Yeah - need to make sure your network is set to private not public to activate file and printer sharing (in control panel select network and sharing center and ensure your network is listed as private - if not click customize to change it)

Check Windows firewall is not blocking the MSN ports - can you run the connection troubleshooter in MSN and say what it comes back with?

Last edited by ScoobyJawa; 20 March 2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 21 March 2008, 12:28 AM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Unhappy sonic ???

Change your network location to work and not public otherwise it blocks file sharing and printing between computers

Also check your time, sometimes MSN wont sign in if your time is not the correct time

My time on the computer is right..

not really sure what you mean about the network bit??

I use my webcam to talk to my neice who lives 200 miles a way so I miss it on msn

Chel xx
Old 21 March 2008, 12:45 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I think you'd be better going back to XP. Not because there is anything wrong with your Vista. It just seems that you understand XP more and youre struggling with Vista.
Old 21 March 2008, 01:57 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

not really sure what you mean about the network bit??
He means printer and file sharing is probably turned off (you have to turn it on for it to work)

Click the windows icon thingy on the bottom left of the screen. Type in the text box "Network and sharing" press enter.

A window will pop up with all the options you need. In the section titled "sharing and discovery" it will tell you what sharing functions are turned on or off.

Click the down arrow on the far right of each option to get the options to turn each one on/off

Obviously for file sharing to work - that must be turned on, as well as public folder sharing. Same with printer sharing.

If you haven't setup any users or passwords, you may want to turn OFF the "password protected sharing".

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Shark Man; 21 March 2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 21 March 2008, 11:58 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Shark Man
He means printer and file sharing is probably turned off (you have to turn it on for it to work)

Click the windows icon thingy on the bottom left of the screen. Type in the text box "Network and sharing" press enter.

A window will pop up with all the options you need. In the section titled "sharing and discovery" it will tell you what sharing functions are turned on or off.

Click the down arrow on the far right of each option to get the options to turn each one on/off

Obviously for file sharing to work - that must be turned on, as well as public folder sharing. Same with printer sharing.

If you haven't setup any users or passwords, you may want to turn OFF the "password protected sharing".

Hope that helps.
My bottom icon thingy, in there there is no where to type I have the classic view up? so do I have to go to setting then network connection? which I did then what?

sorry im not a computer geek so be gentle with me My partner computer is all ready for sharing it must be just mine. cos it's only mine that we changed so all the setting on the other computer are as they were when i was with XP and all was working fine.

Chel xx
Old 22 March 2008, 01:40 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Start Menu, Control Panel, Network Center

If you dont have the start menu icon, just press the windows button, in between CTRL and ALT on the left bottom side of your keyboard

If that fails then just press F1 and the help file will open
Old 22 March 2008, 02:18 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Change for the sake of change? No thanks.
Vista offers me no must have features. I have looked & looked but nothing grabs me. Sure if I had to buy a new OS I would get Vista but as for upgrading, I just cannot see the point right now.
In the past, the main reason to upgrade was the promise of better stability and compatibility. Well, for once Microsoft delivered with Windows XP.
Old 22 March 2008, 02:31 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

It has taken Microsoft a long time to make XP stable, and even longer to make it secure

I have a few PC's here, two laptops running XP as they arent good enough or new enough to run Vista efficiently, I have another desktop PC which runs XP as its for the kids and is only a P4 with 512mb ram and again too old to run Vista

And I have my works Laptop a 64bit one with 4Gb ram and it runs Vista 64 as sweet as a nut, it is rock solid stable and hasnt been shutdown since it got taken out of its box (not strictly true as I had to replace the screen as it got smashed) I run XP in a vmware session on it for when I need to use XP only software (which is less and less these days)

Why do we change our cars, our TV's or infact why do we change anything

I spoke at work a few days ago that for me personally Microsoft Office 4.3 Pro on Windows 3.11 for Workgroups was the best version they have ever made, and even to this day it still does everything I need to do

However I use Office 2007 thesedays and have used all variants in between since Office 4.3 came out, why? because I can, and one day I may use or need those extra features, and I have customers to support too
Old 22 March 2008, 03:03 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Being an IT professional of 15 years (MSCE, MCSA etc) I had the opportunity fairly early on to take on Vista. I hated then and I hate it now. I've used it on old equipment and brand new equipment of a very high spec. It's never once worked properly any time I have used it.

You can't beat a fully updated install of XP for its functionality and ease of use. Alot of the stuff on Vista is just cosmetic and visually pleasing. Some hardware I have doesn't work

Industry is still ordering XP, the take up of Vista has been extremely slow.
I've no doubt that MS will force the issue and stop supplying XP and stop supporting it in order to force people to switch to Vista.

I'll be using XP for as long as i possibly can.

Last edited by dazdavies; 22 March 2008 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Microsoft Vista WHY