Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ipod - Alternatives to iTunes

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2008, 07:07 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod - Alternatives to iTunes

Hi

just got myself a new ipod classic. Just wondering what people recommend as an alternative to itunes.

I'd like to be able to just add any music and album covers with out iTunes telling me i can only do it if the music was delivered by Itunes.

Thanks
Old 22 February 2008, 07:30 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

IMO iTunes is the best program out there and people who disagree and slag it off generally don't have a clue how it works and what it can do.

iTunes can play any music, it doesn't have to be brought from the iTunes store. You can import your own CDs or any MP3 files that you may have.
Old 22 February 2008, 07:40 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
IMO iTunes is the best program out there and people who disagree and slag it off generally don't have a clue how it works and what it can do.

iTunes can play any music, it doesn't have to be brought from the iTunes store. You can import your own CDs or any MP3 files that you may have.

hmm i am struggling to import and album cover for a d/l album...how can ITunes help me ?
Old 22 February 2008, 07:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

You can help yourself by reading earlier threads on this subject. Earlier as in today.
Old 22 February 2008, 07:54 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

It is okay. A bit of a resource hog on the PC.

Steve
Old 22 February 2008, 08:06 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's quite an arrogant thing to say imo. People who actually know what they are talking about avoid itunes like the plague, as it is a badly written piece of code for one, slow to use, resource hog, poor UI, and for me I hate the way that copy protection is forced onto the user, when you have legitimate music to put on it from your own CD's. Basically it is cack.
Old 22 February 2008, 08:45 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
That's quite an arrogant thing to say imo. People who actually know what they are talking about avoid itunes like the plague, as it is a badly written piece of code for one, slow to use, resource hog, poor UI, and for me I hate the way that copy protection is forced onto the user, when you have legitimate music to put on it from your own CD's. Basically it is cack.
But you've just proved my point. iTunes imposes absolutely no copy protection at all. The only form of copy protection is stuff you actually buy from the iTunes store.

As for adding album art you just need to drag and drop a picture of the album onto iTunes.

Or use an automated program

iTunes Album Art Importer - Ryan's Blog
Old 22 February 2008, 10:32 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Yes it does, you can't copy files from an ipod onto another PC ! Well with itunes anyway
Old 22 February 2008, 11:04 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

as I dont like itunes - personally think its just pants, I use anapod explorer, but a quick google search on itunes alternatives turned up this list
Amarok,
Banshee
Floola
gtkpod
MediaMonkey
Rhythmbox
SharePod
Songbird
Winamp
YamiPod
Old 23 February 2008, 01:37 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bioforger
Yes it does, you can't copy files from an ipod onto another PC ! Well with itunes anyway
you can if you use this
SharePod
Old 23 February 2008, 03:35 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

I know farmer, we're talking about itunes usage.
Old 23 February 2008, 08:00 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

I personally still use iTunes as it just works specially for syncing and Podcast support ...... however use Media Monkey for re-tagging and everything else. This handles the syncing, retagging and syncing to the iPod and any media player - ill propbably move to using it sooner or later.