Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

A USA spec laptop for the UK, can you see any probs ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2008, 05:40 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A USA spec laptop for the UK, can you see any probs ?

I am looking at a Sony Vaio AR590E which someone is selling over here, basically all my google searches seem to relate to this model being pruduced for the USA market as it comes back in $ and the weight in pounds etc.

Can you see any problems with using one of these in the UK, the person thats selling it is in the UK so you would think it will be ok, he probably has a UK plug converter. Is their any way to tell how old a model is as well ?

Its mainly for things like the inbuilt tv tuner etc if they will be ok in the UK.

Could someone have a look at the spec from the link and to see if it should be ok, it will be appreciated. This is a link from the USA as i can`t find a UK link.

http://www.zones.com/site/product/in...l?id=002112671
Old 20 February 2008, 08:13 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Keyboard, stupid US keyboard has a stupid enter button. I couldn't live with it as I use a UK keyboard all day and habits are hard to break. It would become a major annoyance.
And warranty should be checked too.
Old 20 February 2008, 10:29 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Everything should be okay apart from the keyboard. The @ " and a few other keys are in the 'wrong' place.

Steve
Old 20 February 2008, 11:34 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
And warranty should be checked too.
Some manufacturers are very un-helpful in these situations if you have problems. Sony USED to be terrible. Maybe a quick email to them to clarify the warranty? Also some software can be arsey about using US versions on PC with the language set to real English, and support may be difficult, patches may not work, upgrades not install. However, things have got better over the last couple of years, with international/worldwide warranty support etc. I'd still tend to shy away from it though, simply because I'm a cynic, if it can go wrong, it will! That's why I spent a bit extra on a 3 year warranty for my new Dell laptop, just in case.

You pays your money, you takes your choice!
Old 21 February 2008, 10:04 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

also no pound sign

but you can use a workaround program and create a different key layout so give the pound symbol if needed.

i have been using a usa spec keyboard on my laptop for a few months now and you do get used to it, also have no issues going onto the desktops and remembering where all the symbols and stuff are