Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Virginmedia .. Speed increase... FREE

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2008, 05:55 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Virginmedia .. Speed increase... FREE

The time has come for 4mb customers to be up graded for free !!

Last year we doubled the broadband speed for our 10Mb customers, giving them up to 20Mb broadband and now we're more than doubling the speed of our Broadband Size: L customers, taking them from 4Mb to a superfast 10Mb at no extra cost.
This exciting upgrade will roll out region by region from late February and will give customers a significant speed advantage over our competitors with regular 8Mb ADSL connections. With our new 10Mb service a customer will be able to download a typical music track in just four seconds; an album in under a minute or a TV show in around five minutes.

50mb is following !!

On a different ... er.. platform so it wont cause issues with current speeds !!

I.E the 10 to 20 cause issue with slow speeds.. so they have up graded this time to make it work...

probably wont but
Old 01 February 2008, 06:10 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Great news! Yesterday 02 tripled my minutes and now this today. Just wish they'd forget to bill me again. Sort it out Pimmo.
Old 01 February 2008, 06:19 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea if/when the 20Mb will increase without further cost??? I'm hoping that the XXL (or whatever it is) 20Mb package will go to 50Mb at the same cost as it is at the moment...

And what do you mean by a different platform? Central platform, or will we have to wait whilst every green box in the country has some new fangled kit slapped in it???
Old 01 February 2008, 08:03 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Hopefully it wil be a bit quicker than the last free upgrade roll-out. Which took best part of 10months from announcement to actually getting it

Must admit, I rarely hit my 4mb downstream limit. The big bottle neck for me is the latency, sever response times and upload bandwidth...is that lot going to be improved to cope as well?
Old 01 February 2008, 08:27 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr.No
Any idea if/when the 20Mb will increase without further cost??? I'm hoping that the XXL (or whatever it is) 20Mb package will go to 50Mb at the same cost as it is at the moment...

And what do you mean by a different platform? Central platform, or will we have to wait whilst every green box in the country has some new fangled kit slapped in it???

The Docsis, the way the modem communicates with the UBR, they are moving to Docsis 3 I think.. I try not to get to into single products, I need to have a general over view.
Old 01 February 2008, 08:28 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man

Hopefully it wil be a bit quicker than the last free upgrade roll-out. Which took best part of 10months from announcement to actually getting it

Must admit, I rarely hit my 4mb downstream limit. The big bottle neck for me is the latency, sever response times and upload bandwidth...is that lot going to be improved to cope as well?

Spending millions on up grades so yes
Old 01 February 2008, 09:47 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Shame the ADSL side of things is still wanting to say the least.

That and the ability to actually get a MAC.

Sorry, had a very bad experience with them recently.
Old 01 February 2008, 10:46 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
The time has come for 4mb customers to be up graded for free !!

Last year we doubled the broadband speed for our 10Mb customers, giving them up to 20Mb broadband and now we're more than doubling the speed of our Broadband Size: L customers, taking them from 4Mb to a superfast 10Mb at no extra cost.
This exciting upgrade will roll out region by region from late February and will give customers a significant speed advantage over our competitors with regular 8Mb ADSL connections. With our new 10Mb service a customer will be able to download a typical music track in just four seconds; an album in under a minute or a TV show in around five minutes.