Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Olympus C-860L

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2002, 07:22 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

i've just ordered the above camera and was wondering if i need a smartcard or anything? dont know anything about digital cameras, what is a smartcard (seen them advertised)
any help apreciated

rob
Old 21 January 2002, 02:03 PM
CaptainBeakie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

You should get an 8 megabyte card with it, with the number of shots it'll hold dependent on the resolution of the images you want to take. So the higher the resolution the bigger the file image the less the card will hold. The memory card holds your camera images on it which can be kept on the card, deleted or transferred onto a PC. (I've got the 960L and it's a nice bit of kit.)
You can swap cards as you please and use bigger ones (up to 64meg - though check your manual). Also some printers on the market will have ports to plug the cards straight in and print from them.

Regards,

Beakie
Old 21 January 2002, 07:32 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Beakie
so if one card is full of images then i can take it out and swap it for another untill i can download it onto the pc?
do you recomend any cards or are they all the same?

cheers

Rob
Old 22 January 2002, 09:29 AM
CaptainBeakie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yeah, cards can be swapped whether they are full or not (unlike your normal camera) and can be re-inserted to be reused at anytime. With the Media cards, you'll find a couple of self adhesive silver circles (approx 1cm in diameter) if you put them onto the card (you can see were they go on the card) this will stop anything being deleted off the card.

There aren't that many manufacturers of SmartMedia Cards. I normally buy 'Jentopik', £19-£22 will secure you a 32mb card and with a reasonable resolution setting on your camera will allow you to hold 140 odd images. Which should be more than enough considering you can review and delete any unwanted photos if you want. The max for your camera is a 64mb card (approx £35) on the lowest setting it'll hold something like 900 shots. I personally haven't gone for anything that big. It's nice to have a few smaller cards (eggs in one basket....)

All you probably want after that is some nice editing software, really handy for 'touching up' any mistakes you might have made.

I'm sure you'll have great fun with your new toy!

Regards,

Beakie

Old 22 January 2002, 09:55 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well got my camera today (bought from a shop off e-bay) and there's no serial lead :-(
the shop says it wasn't listed in the description ( i didn't know what it was for until i read the instructions) so i don't get one nor can they supply one.
the lead according to the box is a RS-232C and i will also need a CD-ROm to install it

any ideas who sells them Beakie???????

cheers

Rob
Old 23 January 2002, 10:09 AM
CaptainBeakie
Scooby Regular

The software, you might be able to download this from the Olympus website. (It's a bit of a shame that they didn't include everything with it)

The lead should be available from any good camera retailer or even at a computer fair

They are pretty good for bits and pieces;
http://www.jessops.com/search/showsubdept.cfm?node=231

Otherwise if you can't get the software, I'll try and dig out mine and could mail you a copy of it. (Though not sure if it will be compatible).

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Beakie