Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Questions about Windows Media Centre 2005

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2008, 05:13 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Windows Media Centre 2005

Will shortly be starting a new build. I could re-install Windows XP or buy a copy of Vista which I'm reluctant to do for all the various current reasons.
That leaves me with Windows Media Centre 2005. It looks like a really fun family/home orientated operating system. Anyone here use it? Is it as good as it appears to be?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...a&mg_id=20393b
Old 30 January 2008, 05:38 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

It's exactly the same as XP, just with the media center bit built on (i.e. so you can use it for recording tv etc).

I'm using it and it's a fair bit faster than Vista, but not as pretty
Old 31 January 2008, 12:23 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
Will shortly be starting a new build. I could re-install Windows XP or buy a copy of Vista which I'm reluctant to do for all the various current reasons.
That leaves me with Windows Media Centre 2005. It looks like a really fun family/home orientated operating system. Anyone here use it? Is it as good as it appears to be?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...a&mg_id=20393b
XP MC2005 is pretty much an entertainment variant of XP Pro.
The differences are mainly visual, so expect a lot of CPU usage. You can of course choose not to install the MC enhancements, which will just leave you with XP.

Vista has its flaws, again like MC2005, it too uses a lot of CPU/ RAM etc so will quickly slow you down unless you have a CPU in excess of 2ghz and RAM with a minimum of 512 DDR2.

Its really down to how long you want the system to last, personally I would choose Vista Home Premium, as its fast, not too laggy and its good value for money. DVD's of genuine Vista are on ebay for as little as 60 quid with a genuine licence.

Later this year Windows 7 will be released, so expect it to be better than Vista, which is basically a clone of MAC OSX.

Hopefully this will keep you thinking, but in the end its down to your own preference.
Help is always here in one shape or another.

Old 31 January 2008, 12:33 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobz72
Its really down to how long you want the system to last, personally I would choose Vista Home Premium, as its fast, not too laggy and its good value for money. DVD's of genuine Vista are on ebay for as little as 60 quid with a genuine licence.
Converesly I've just uninstalled Vista and gone back to XP (Media Center 2005 edition). My machine is now running 20-30% faster. Vista is not currently a fast operating system, and it's not as stable or bug free as XP.
Old 31 January 2008, 12:37 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Later this year Windows 7 will be released, so expect it to be better than Vista, which is basically a clone of MAC OSX.
No it won't. The last I heard it is tentatively scheduled for a 2010 release.
Old 31 January 2008, 12:51 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
No it won't. The last I heard it is tentatively scheduled for a 2010 release.
APC Magazine claims to have seen Microsoft's roadmap for the operating system, and reports that the software giant is gunning for a 2009 release to manufacturing, a year earlier than initially planned.

The roadmap apparently contains three distinct milestone builds for Windows 7, with the first build, M1, apparently already shipped to partners for code validation.

M1 is reported to be English language only, but is shipping in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. M2 is slated to ship in April or May, while M3 is expected some time in the third quarter of 2008.

Dont shoot the messenger, the report i read was from here
Old 31 January 2008, 01:14 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

M2 is slated to ship in April or May, while M3 is expected some time in the third quarter of 2008.
Well, that's not what my source in MS told me, but it's all whispers at the moment with no solid details coming from MS about the release date or even what it's going to contain. The first preliminary beta release (not necessarily with all the new feature in place) was released to selected partners in January I believe. They'll be hard push to ship the final release by 3rd quarter. I seem to remember using Vista betas and release candidates for a year or more.

It would also be a very odd thing to do for them financially given that Vista is only just being adopted, (and they haven't got that OS working properly yet).
Old 31 January 2008, 03:17 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Well, that's not what my source in MS told me, but it's all whispers at the moment with no solid details coming from MS about the release date or even what it's going to contain. The first preliminary beta release (not necessarily with all the new feature in place) was released to selected partners in January I believe. They'll be hard push to ship the final release by 3rd quarter. I seem to remember using Vista betas and release candidates for a year or more.

It would also be a very odd thing to do for them financially given that Vista is only just being adopted, (and they haven't got that OS working properly yet).
Ditto, i still have my beta version of Vista, Longhorn from 2004. So i expect the new version to be a variant of Vista, not too much anticipation.
I would like then to finish Vista first, but with Server 2008 knocking on the door, it seems hands are tied at the moment.

I still think a well updated XP Pro, is much better ATM than Vista, only on speed though. Will await the 1st beta releases of windows 7 this year.
Old 31 January 2008, 07:39 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Lot of food for thought there.Hadn't realised it was system heavy which can be a real drag, especially on my current set up.
However things will be a lot faster with the new 'puter so think I'll go for it. As mentioned, I can always revert back to standard xp home if its too bad.

Thanks fellas.
Old 31 January 2008, 08:46 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've not noticed it using much more in resources than normal XP, Obviously it starts using stuff when streaming video etc, but normal day to day use is just like XP.
Old 02 February 2008, 11:36 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I've been down at Microsoft at TVP, Reading all week and I was told late 2009 as a possible release date.

But these things change

Old 02 February 2008, 12:01 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't wait for windows 7, vista is good but as you say a bit of a resource hog, from what ive heard about w7 ms have gone back and totally revamped it from the kernel upwards to it takes less resources, faster and much more flexible.

Mce in vista works a charm, i may go for a twin dtt car as the one im looking at uses pci-e so that frees up a slot should i wish to use crossfire, we'll see.