Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XP 32 bit or Vista 64-bit

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2008, 06:17 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP 32 bit or Vista 64-bit

Got a new laptop today from work a HP AMD Duron with 2Gb Ram

Now I can leave it with standard XP Pro 32bit, or I can download and install Vista (any version) 64 Bit

The Laptop has 2 Gb Ram, and I plan on (if going to Vista) using Vmware with an XP Image for the odd Applications I need that arent Vista compatabile (or Virtual PC/Server)

How is support on 64 Bit Vista, do standard Apps like Photoshop etc run ok on 64 Bit ?

Cheers

S
Old 25 January 2008, 06:40 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I installed Vista 64 bit and had lots of problems with the programs I like not working properly (like Yahoo messenger). After installing 32 bit Vista the world is a happier place and I actually prefer it to XP.

Steve
Old 25 January 2008, 06:58 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I have been using Vista 32 bit on an old Acer Tablet PC for a while now, its ok not brilliant but ok

On my Dell Laptop (home one) I use XP Pro with Vista Transformation Pack, as I like the colour scheme better than XP

Not sure how comparable it will be speed wise running 64bit than 32 bit
Old 25 January 2008, 07:05 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I have 64 bit Vista Ultimate. The one thing I notice is IE crashes occasionally due to plugins especially Skype, but that's all. Opera is fine though.
Old 25 January 2008, 07:35 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Got a new laptop today from work a HP AMD Duron with 2Gb Ram

Now I can leave it with standard XP Pro 32bit, or I can download and install Vista (any version) 64 Bit

The Laptop has 2 Gb Ram, and I plan on (if going to Vista) using Vmware with an XP Image for the odd Applications I need that arent Vista compatabile (or Virtual PC/Server)

How is support on 64 Bit Vista, do standard Apps like Photoshop etc run ok on 64 Bit ?

Cheers

S
Ummmm.. Are you sure the laptops new, new? As the AMD Duron processor hasn't been around in a few years, it was replaced by the Sempron CPU as AMDs budget processor. Saying that if it is a Duron or Sempron then you're stuck with a 32 bit operating system as the CPU is only a 32-bit one. If you want to run 64-bit O/Ss then you need a new CPU which has 64-bit capability.
Old 25 January 2008, 09:23 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

It is 64 Bit, otherwise HP wouldn't have released every single driver for that model

It is a new new Laptop, we deliberatly ordered it with XP Pro as it was 70 quid cheaper and we have 1000 Vista Licenses

Its an AMD Turion 64x2 *not* a Duron, my mistake
Old 25 January 2008, 09:26 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

It is 64 Bit, otherwise HP wouldn't have released every single driver for that model

It is a new new Laptop, we deliberatly ordered it with XP Pro as it was 70 quid cheaper and we have 1000 Vista Licenses

Its an AMD Turion 64x2 *not* a Duron, my mistake
No worries

I would personally go with XP Pro or XP Media Centre. Have heard horrible tales of Vista and driver issues, therefore why I'm not bothering. As they say if it ain't broke...
Old 25 January 2008, 09:30 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Having used Vista already on my old work laptop (which died last week, hence this one, my spec and model of choice, as it gives a very nice 1600x1024 resolution (or thereabouts) every other laptop under 600 quid only does 1280x800 which is not that good for me really

the only software I use that doesnt work on Vista is 3com Managed Wireless Management software, and maybe one other network utility, so I plan on running those on a vanilla XP virtual image

Im going to give Vista 64bit a whirl as HP do have ALL the drivers for this Laptop on 64 bit
Old 25 January 2008, 09:43 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Having used Vista already on my old work laptop (which died last week, hence this one, my spec and model of choice, as it gives a very nice 1600x1024 resolution (or thereabouts) every other laptop under 600 quid only does 1280x800 which is not that good for me really

the only software I use that doesnt work on Vista is 3com Managed Wireless Management software, and maybe one other network utility, so I plan on running those on a vanilla XP virtual image

Im going to give Vista 64bit a whirl as HP do have ALL the drivers for this Laptop on 64 bit
Will they not run in XP compatability mode?
Old 25 January 2008, 09:49 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

the 3com software wont even install, instantly says its not compatible, Im surprised really considering it was only released about 2 months ago
Old 26 January 2008, 01:16 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've just uninstalled Vista64 and gone back to XP32. The speed increase is quite noticeable

I used to like Vista a lot (and I still like the interface), but it's got too many problems under the covers for my liking at the moment.
Old 26 January 2008, 01:19 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Hmm, maybe I might stick with XP with the Vista Transformation pack then

Service Pack 1 for Vista is in Release Candidate, and I can download Vista with SP1 built in
Old 26 January 2008, 01:27 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Windows 7 is already being mentioned

MSFN - Feast Your Eyes on the Leaked Screenshots of Windows 7

Im currently running Vista but really everything I could do in Vista I could do in XP.....with better sound drivers for my creative card of course

makes me wonder how many compaines will roll out Vista, or miss it and wait for the next one. Currently the Uni where I work we are XP based desktops and mainly 2k3 based servers, I can't really see many benefits that Vista would give us, and most machines would have to be replaced. I also think the price for Vista is a little steep to be honest. Just my 2p worth
Old 26 January 2008, 01:53 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Running Vista 64 here.

Teething probs with older software(mainly with sage), but 99% of stuff is ok now. Been stable through-out though.

Biggest issue was when trying to use hacked (uncertified) drivers ...the system won't boot unless you do a bypass though the start-up menu everytime you switch it on

I'd say, if you have old software (or use sony-erricson's SEUS ), and mess about with DIY drivers and stuff then go for vista 32.

But if all the software, utilities and connected peripherals are new, x64 shouldn't pose any issues. Well, except for the glitchy nVidia drivers

Last edited by Shark Man; 26 January 2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 26 January 2008, 01:54 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I agree Mike

Our MD keeps asking us why we aren't pushing Vista onto our customers as its been out so long

I keep telling him that no one wants it, we get phone calls after phone calls asking how to invoke the downgrade to XP

I think we have 3 machines in the office that use Vista, the rest are all XP, only one of our Customers is using Vista on 60 Laptops the rest of their site is XP and staying on XP

Windows 7 has been mentioned for a while, even Windows 2008 servers replacement is already being coded
Old 26 January 2008, 10:56 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

By switching back to XP (with the same driver versions and hardware), my 3dmark score has gone up by over 20%, and stuff actually works. Was having loads of problems with things like ie7, media player etc in Vista (on more than one machine), but it all works flawlessly on XP.

Personally I think it was rushed out too soon, much like they did with the 360. Both great products when they work, but contain serious flaws...
Old 26 January 2008, 04:02 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Microsoft screwed up bigtime by making Windows XP so stable

Also all the improved IE7, Media Player etc add ons increase its longevity.
Old 26 January 2008, 04:09 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Another vote for XP. The only redeeming feature of Vista is that it has inbuilt benchmarking software so that you can see just how slow the computer is that some pushy salesman is trying to palm off on you

(yes, I did have to endure going to PC World recently to help a couple of people buy laptops. No, they would not order from the interweb and yes, they just had to have one there and then. Was quite amusing when the salesman was telling me that this laptop which was £300 more was just so amazingly fast...right up until I open up the Vista experience score I do think he muttered "most people don't know how to do that" )
Old 26 January 2008, 04:17 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Even simple things like copy and pasting files seem to take ages in Vista, I've just gone back to Xp and it is so much quicker. The only thing I miss about Vista is the media center extender on the Xbox 360, the Xp version is just not as nice.
Old 26 January 2008, 08:27 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Well Ive put Vista 64 bit on and it runs pretty good

However installing the Wireless Drivers, and Graphics Card drivers results in the installers crashing but they still install and work fine

with the full Aero Interface I get a score of 3.0 with not all of the drivers or windows updates installed

I may try the Service Pack 1 see how that fairs, but Im not sure if it is only the 32bit one that has been released up to now, I can download the slipstreamed 64 bit with RC of SP 1

Ill fire up my virtual XP image and see how that runs, if anything it should run faster than the native install on my old Acer Tablet laptop ran it
Old 26 January 2008, 08:48 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have 64 on my pc and lots of stuff you take for granted over the interweb won't work
Old 26 January 2008, 08:50 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

What sort of things ?

MSN works fine, web browsing works (for the sites I use) not really done much else with it really
Old 26 January 2008, 09:17 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

bbc iplayer won't work. real palyer doesnt work most sites that need adobe flash and there is loads more just can't think at the moment ?? you realise it doesn't work whe you are on line
Old 26 January 2008, 09:47 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Dont use iplayer or real player

No doubt time will tell what will end up not working, but like I say hopefully my XP image will work ok with anything I need to have working

This is a works laptop so primarily will only be used for work, I have my own laptop at home that runs XP with the transformation pack
Old 26 January 2008, 10:08 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

You know that a score of 3.0 for graphics is the lowest allowable for the aero interface? If it had been any lower....

My old nForce2 machine managed 4.7 for graphics when it had Vista. Back to XP now though

I wish you luck. Installing windows is never amusing, especially when you have done it omg wtf how many times before. Enjoy the funky graphics
Old 27 January 2008, 12:57 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Installing windows these days is a lot easier, stick the cd/dvd in, next next next finish reboot, job done

Not like the old days at all, now you can set a PC installing and go and do something more worthwhile

I knew the Laptop would be capable of the Aero interface, once I get bored with it I will turn it off

Ive used the Aero interface before, as we had Vista running before it came out on some test PC's just never used it as a daily hack, apart from the last few months
Old 28 January 2008, 08:49 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Well I have more or less everything installed on the Laptop now, and I have to say its all running rather well and pretty quick too

I got this laptop as my old one died, as it would no longer post, however when I plugged the drive into my USB caddy to transfer my data to the new laptop, erm it was actually the hard drive that had died not the laptop

Still I got a brand new decent spec laptop, just need to try and recover the last 6 years worth of work
Old 29 January 2008, 08:30 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Still I got a brand new decent spec laptop, just need to try and recover the last 6 years worth of work
had great success with getdata back, costs $$$ though

if the laptop will still boot off cd:

Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD

build that and put

Data Recovery Software - File System Utilities

plugin for bart

http://www.runtime.org/getdataback_for_ntfs.cab

Old 29 January 2008, 12:56 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
had great success with getdata back, costs $$$ though

if the laptop will still boot off cd:

Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD

build that and put

Data Recovery Software - File System Utilities

plugin for bart

http://www.runtime.org/getdataback_for_ntfs.cab

I've used that, very useful.
Old 29 January 2008, 01:24 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
You know that a score of 3.0 for graphics is the lowest allowable for the aero interface? If it had been any lower....

My old nForce2 machine managed 4.7 for graphics when it had Vista. Back to XP now though

I wish you luck. Installing windows is never amusing, especially when you have done it omg wtf how many times before. Enjoy the funky graphics
Basically standard issue gfx cards will score a 3.0. Which basically means all brand-new off-the shelf business end and medium range home PCs be it HPs, Dells and most non-media laptops

i.e uses the built in Intel GMA 950 graphics.

It's perfectly fine for desktop use and general purpose stuff. Seeing that I run 3 system (including the lappy) on Vista with intel GMA950 gfx which scores a three. And performance wise appears no difference to my home PC with a Nvidia 7600 gfx card.

The difference mainly will be with usuing dual screens, or silly high resolutions (such as 1600x1200 for people still using CRT screens ) and gfx intensive stuff like photochop and games (which is nothing new).

Of course a low spec system will work better on XP, but vista won't stress a dual core e6xxx onwards system with 2gig. Even with the basic Intel gfx.

Last edited by Shark Man; 29 January 2008 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: XP 32 bit or Vista 64-bit