Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Why PS3 will 'win'

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2008, 12:19 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why PS3 will 'win'

Okay, here is everything I've been saying on here for the past 18 months summised in a single article by an unbiased journalist.

Enjoy, although no doubt few of you will agree (still).

I will be back to say I told you so later in the year

EDITOR'S VIEW: The PlayStation 3 Rebirth : Next Generation - Interactive Entertainment Today, Video Game and Industry News - Home of Edge Online
Old 23 January 2008, 01:28 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I've no doubt it will win , As far as I can see the 360's only advantage over the PS3 is more games to choose from. Things will only get better in the Sony camp from now on.

Just found another use for my PS3 ...Downloading Bit-torrents of UK programs sticking them on a 1 gig CF card and playing them on my Plasma

< now awaits another PS3 vs 360 debate >
Old 23 January 2008, 01:37 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbsub
Just found another use for my PS3 ...Downloading Bit-torrents of UK programs sticking them on a 1 gig CF card and playing them on my Plasma

If you're justifying £400 to play second rate crap quality divx then that's your choice, however the 360 can do the same
Old 23 January 2008, 01:51 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
If you're justifying £400 to play second rate crap quality divx then that's your choice, however the 360 can do the same
Jumpy buggers these 360 owners

I said another use

And my 80 gig PS3 was $499 CAD = £250

And if you had to put up with crap Canadian TV then " second rate crap divx " is bloody godsend

Last edited by kbsub; 23 January 2008 at 02:16 AM.
Old 23 January 2008, 08:43 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Pfft- Wii is kicking both thier *****, and will continue to do so.
Old 23 January 2008, 09:29 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kbsub

Yeah? I just stream them wirelessly via the computer straight to the 360.
Thinking about it, the PS3 can do the same can't it?
Old 23 January 2008, 09:45 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
Yeah? I just stream them wirelessly via the computer straight to the 360.
Thinking about it, the PS3 can do the same can't it?
Yup.

It will also stream from your PSP and vice versa.

Even better, you can now stream media stored on the PS3, or play PS1 games stored on the PS3 (or in the disc tray) remotely over t'internet on your PSP.
Old 23 January 2008, 09:45 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Originally Posted by bob269
You're just a tad touchy being up after half past one trying to work out Mass Effect's biotics

aww bless him, he's tired

I tend to agree with a lot of that article, 2007 was undoubtedly dominated by the 360but I feel all its big cards have been played, PS3's are still to come - it just depends on whether Sony can actually get them out of the door in 2008...
Old 23 January 2008, 09:49 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

thing is IMO

most of my mates have a 360 and are on live, 1 of my mates has a ps3

how many of my mates are going to buy another (next gen) console, the ps3, just to play pretty much the same games that are on the 360, apart from a few title exclusives ?

maybe 25% (i would not even guess that high?) if the failure rate of the 360 is now 10% in the new consoles, i might see 10% of my mates swap?
Old 23 January 2008, 10:00 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

small point

Crazily, Microsoft might actually make some money from its console adventure. That’s got to be a win even if it sells fewer consoles than its rivals.

i thought they were already running "in profit" now??

article sounds like more fanboy rubbish to be honest

if the ps3 was first priced where it is now, a little more then the 360, then i would have bought a ps3, and i suspect most other people would have done the same, but everybody went out and bought a 360 instead as it was a lot cheaper.

it stands to reason that the ps3 will at some point outsell the 360 as

1. most people already have a 360
2. it is a bit newer and when the 360 is not so fresh, this will be a little "fresher"

still not convinced that joe public really wants the high def stuff anyway, had a mate raving about how class his samsung plasma was and that "samsung make class plasmas with awesome pictures"

so on his recommendation i looked at a few and bought one, when checking his model number, i worked out that he had a 42" plasma that was SD
Old 23 January 2008, 10:06 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Even better, you can now stream media stored on the PS3, or play PS1 games stored on the PS3 (or in the disc tray) remotely over t'internet on your PSP.
Now THAT you've just got to love, Very nice.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:08 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
Now THAT you've just got to love, Very nice.
Why? Seems pretty pointless to me....
Old 23 January 2008, 10:16 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Why? Seems pretty pointless to me....
You can access 60GB (or whatever) of media where ever you are - The benfits are obvious - If you are the sort of person that makes use of portable media.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:33 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
small point
I suspect they are losing money still on the console, but turning a nice profit from the games/hardware, they have the biggest attachment rate of games/hardware sold per console than both the wii and ps3.

As for the portable streaming of the ps3/psp, sounds ok but i doubt i'd fancy leaving the console switched on all day (let's face it, none of the consoles are friendly on the eleccy bill) just incase i fancy listening to an mp3 while taking a dump at work.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:44 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

It is inevitable that the PS3 will outsell the 360, regardless of which is the better system for gamers.

The huge PS2 fan base will naturally want to upgrade to a PS3 eventually, and many people, incredulously, do not even realise the 360 exists. Even if they do realise it exists they don't really see it in the same light as a PS3.

Many new PS3 owners are ignorant of the games market in general.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:45 AM
redxiii
Scooby Regular

By the time PS3 'wins' the 360 will be getting replaced and the cycle will start again, I genuinely believe that while the PS3 is a better peice of kit it will not simply outsell a 360 on that basis, unlike earlier consoles the Live experience makes a huge difference. What other gaming product in history has the sort of breakdown/failure rate of a 360 yet still people go back to it
A PS3 might allow me to remotely boil the kettle over the internet from my PSP while playing ridge racer 1 but I'd doing that on my own while all my friends are having a laugh on xbox live.
I do think Blue-ray is a selling point for PS3 though untill the stand alone players come down in price.
At the end of the day who cares ?
Old 23 January 2008, 10:45 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky

The Xbox division as a whole is expected to start turning a profit this year. However, there is the slight issue of being around $6Billion in the red overall.

It lost $1.9 Billion in financial year June 2006-July2007 alone.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:46 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

but doesn't the PSP automatically wake the PS3 when trying to connect?

there's thousands of people who go out to work and leave the PS3 running Folding@Home all day long - overheating doesnt seem to be an issue with the machine but it is a bit power hungry from what I've read - 180W in standby?
Old 23 January 2008, 10:50 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Its 180W when it not doing anything - but turned on - Its 1.9W when in standby

XBOX 360 vs PS3 (and Wii) - Power Consumption Report - hardCOREware.net
Old 23 January 2008, 10:52 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

The Xbox division as a whole is expected to start turning a profit this year. However, there is the slight issue of being around $6Billion in the red overall.

It lost $1.9 Billion in financial year June 2006-July2007 alone.
That must be just the loss generated by the amount of RROD's - the cost of that was put down as $2bn...

I think Sony will win this round of the console war but I can see MS dominating next time round by lauching a new console years before anyone even mentions a "PS4" Seems like MS want new console launches more frequent to try and have the hardware nearer to the abilities of a PC so they can get stuff like Crysis on it.
Old 23 January 2008, 11:01 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

You can access 60GB (or whatever) of media where ever you are - The benfits are obvious - If you are the sort of person that makes use of portable media.
Still don't see the point, and in these days of "global warming" etc, it's hardly socially responsible to be encouraging people to leave their consoles on all the time on the offchance that they might want to listen to an mp3 somewhere. Anyway, isn't that what ipods are for, (which can also play movies etc).
Old 23 January 2008, 11:23 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

it's hardly socially responsible to be encouraging people to leave their consoles on all the time on the offchance that they might want to listen to an mp3 somewhere. tc).

Doesn't quite work like that - you can turn it on/off remotely - So you don't have to leave it on all day.
Old 23 January 2008, 11:32 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

You mean put it on standby (if it was turned off it wouldn't be able to respond). It still means that the ps3, router, modem etc all have to be turned on all the time and are constantly using power.

And you can do it all (except ps1 games) with an ipod/zune/etc anyway, and don't have to worry about having access to wifi when you want it...
Old 23 January 2008, 11:43 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

The more I spend with a HDTV, the less appealing playing on a small screen becomes.

When I had a PSP before selling it - Wipeout Pure really impressed me with the graphics, but the screen was too small to appreciate them fully.

Of course where is a place for mobile gaming, as the PSP, DS etc have proved but in terms of being a media link then there's little they can do that a mobile phone can't.

I think its a great feature that you can run a PS1 game on a PSP, but for me it doesnt go much further than nostalgia or novelty. Its great that all these devices can speak to one another but I get the impression that some features are being included just for the sake of it rather then being any use - a bit like Jar Jar Binks.

I've been poisoned by HD methinks, tried playing Mass Effect on a 25" telly as the wife was hogging my main telly, ugh - never again.
Old 23 January 2008, 11:48 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

You mean put it on standby (if it was turned off it wouldn't be able to respond). It still means that the ps3, router, modem etc all have to be turned on all the time and are constantly using power.
Yes in standby - So drawing about 1.9W.

My TV, PS3, 360, router etc all remain in standby anyway. It far less stressful for components to remain in standby that to be turned on and off all the time.

I mean why worry about your minimal consumption from standy things, when you have a fridge/freezer that is absolutely dwarfing any standby consumption

The fact you can take the ps3 in and out of standby at least shows that they have considered it.
And you can do it all (except ps1 games) with an ipod/zune/etc anyway, and don't have to worry about having access to wifi when you want it...
Of course, and that exactly what I do - But the facility is there if I want it. And it is pretty cool to be able to remote control the PS3 and stream from it, wherever I am.
Also I dont have to pay a premuim for lots of storage i don't necessarily need - Which of course is the big advantage with streaming.
Old 23 January 2008, 11:53 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I mean why worry about your minimal consumption from standy things, when you have a fridge/freezer that is absolutely dwarfing any standby consumption
Because the things that are on standby are in addition to the things like fridges etc. You need a fridge, but a streaming ps3-psp setup is just a pretty superfluous commodity imo, and I'm not convinced it's a good idea for company the size of Sony to be promoting the waste of energy like this

Besides, I still don't see the point of it
Old 23 January 2008, 11:56 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I thought Sony got some praise from Greenpeace not so long back for their green credentials...
Old 23 January 2008, 12:01 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Because the things that are on standby are in addition to the things like fridges etc. You need a fridge, but a streaming ps3-psp setup is just a pretty superfluous commodity imo, and I'm not convinced it's a good idea for company the size of Sony to be promoting the waste of energy like this
Ahh, but if you look at the overall picture, what consumes more power - having many devices, or one convergent one? Packaging, disposal, charging, manufacture, fabrication of all those individual devices.

I mean if you are going to go down the "Its not green" route, you need to investigate whether it is or sint greener than the alternative.

Personally I just think you are clutching at straws to come up with a reason that it's useless.
Besides, I still don't see the point of it
Yeah, I got that

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be a facility available though.
Old 23 January 2008, 12:08 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Ahh, but if you look at the overall picture, what consumes more power - having many devices, or one convergent one? Packaging, disposal, charging, manufacture, fabrication of all those individual devices.
But you still have many devices with the streaming route, (i.e. you need a psp to watch it on).

I mean if you are going to go down the "Its not green" route, you need to investigate whether it is or sint greener than the alternative.
If I used to PSP to stream from the PS3, then I would also need an ipod or similar device for situations where I could not get a wifi signal (at work for example where I can't see our IT bods letting me connect my psp to the network, or when on holiday etc). So using the PSP for streaming from the PS3 would actually mean that I would need more devices not less
Old 23 January 2008, 12:55 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

as crap as the Xbox 360 is for build Xbox live is very good and is the big selling point.

Game likes Gears of War and Call Of Duty on Xbox live have become a weekly routine for many people at the weekends. It just works so well ( most of the time).

The PS3 looks good and no doubt will be built better but seems dearer, graphics not much better and fewer games.

Had Sony been more aggressive with ther pricingin and had more games at launch it might be a different stroy. The nail in the coffin for me was not being able to play PS2 games on the PS3.

AllanB

Quick Reply: Why PS3 will 'win'