Vista: How to modify users default file location? - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Vista: How to modify users default file location?

Old 22 January 2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Default Vista: How to modify users default file location?

Hi all,

I have Vista Ultimate installed on my laptop, which has a 200Gb HDD partitioned into two halfs, C: and D:.

Currently my default location for files is:

C:\Users\Iwan\???

I want to have all my files on D: for backup purposes, and the O/S and programs on C:. Is there an easy way of telling Vista I want to use D: for my files? On XP I seem to recall an option where you can specify where you want each users "My Documents" folder to reside - and when you change it Windows used to move all the files within from the old location to the new location automatically.

Is there an easy way to do this in Vista?

Thanks.
Iwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 04:45 PM   #2
bob269
Scooby Regular

right click Documents from the Start Menu and select Properties. This opens the Properties dialog box for the Documents folder. Click the Location tab and type in the path to the location where you want to store the folder. Click OK. If the folder location you specified in the Target field does not exist, the Create Message dialog box will appear. Click Yes to create the folder and click OK. Alternatively, you can also select the Move button from the Location tab and browse to the location where you want to store the Documents folder.

* I accept no responsibility for any inaccuracies from Google
bob269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 05:27 PM   #3
DJ Dunk

As above, thats what I did on the other halfs laptop to backup her data to a mapped drive on my PC.
DJ Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Ah, super.

That's what I was looking for, but it only seems to allow moving the Documents, Pictures and Music folders, rather than all files under one User.

Close enough though I think.
Iwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Luminous
Scooby Regular

That does work, but you will also need to repeat for Music and Video folders, otherwise they will still be defaulting to the C: drive....or at least that is what happened on the last Vista machine I manage those changes to.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 06:45 PM   #6
DJ Dunk

If you want to move the entire users structure, have a read of this:

Change User Profile Folder Location in Vista Joshua Mouch
DJ Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2008, 11:08 AM   #7
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

if you move them all you make have a problem adding favourites in IE7, and potentially downloading files --- there is a fix - I will post it later.

Dave.
DemonDave is offline   Reply With Quote