Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

AOL Internet broadband quick question ..help !

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2008, 11:02 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question AOL Internet broadband quick question ..help !

Just a quick question

After years of trouble free AOL surfing ...it all went pants this week as I lost my internet connection

For the last few days the BT Voyager ASDL modem has been "looking for AOL via TCP /IP" and nothing else happens.......no Internet.... nothing

I have just installed a Netgear Wireless router AOL upgrade and I am back online but the AOL log in page now says it is using TCP/IP.

Is it OK that I'm talking to you via TCP/IP ??

Cheers

Shaun
Old 18 January 2008, 01:13 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my aol used to be tcp/ip and it was fine,

although i jumped ship on tuesday to BE

mart
Old 18 January 2008, 07:15 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

I used too have a voyager & one time they upgraded their network which stopped me from connecting. Ended up lending a modem off a m8 with the updated drivers i got off his computer. Prior too it happening there was a warning message popped up saying you must upgrade due too changed being made too their network which may prevent me from connecting. Problem was the upgrade did not install correctly.

I had a similar message pop up last week. So maybe you didnt get the update for your voyager.

When i got my laptop i needed a wireless connection so baught a d-link router which i use now.

When i open the AOL browser & log in, which is rarely it says connecting using TCP/IP as you mentioned.
Old 18 January 2008, 01:01 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe
I used too have a voyager & one time they upgraded their network which stopped me from connecting. Ended up lending a modem off a m8 with the updated drivers i got off his computer. Prior too it happening there was a warning message popped up saying you must upgrade due too changed being made too their network which may prevent me from connecting. Problem was the upgrade did not install correctly.
Yes Aol have done an update for what its worth

here is an extract from the email recieved on Monday

Quote"
This email contains important information about some updates we are making to your service. The updates are summarised in this email but we recommend you click here to xxxxx

Dear xxxxxxx,
We wrote to you in October to tell you about various improvements that we are making to our network over the next few months, and that some of these may affect your service.

We are writing to you now with more information about these improvements:
  1. Your connectivity software will be upgraded
  2. Your connection will be moved to our new network
  3. The new network - some features that will work differently

1. Your connectivity software will be upgraded
Each time you connect to the internet using the AOL software, you are connected to our network by the AOL Connectivity Service (ACS). We are pleased to inform you that we are upgrading your connection and you will be prompted automatically to install the update when it is ready.

2. Your connection will be moved to our new network
We are also in the process of moving your connection to our new network. We have detected that you use a router to connect to our broadband service, which means you will not have to do anything – your upgrade will happen automatically and our new network will detect your connection as soon as it becomes available.

3. Services affected on the new network
Over the next few months, we are planning to introduce several new innovative services on our new network. In the meantime, you can still continue to access your emails and content using the same details as before.
However, there are some features that will work differently:
  1. [*]
  2. [*]

You don’t need to do anything - but help is always at hand
All the upgrades mentioned in this email will happen automatically. We do recommend that you also read the detailed information at where you can find Frequently Asked Questions which provide more details concerning these changes. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact our Member Services team at or alternatively call 0844 499 5555*.

Yours sincerely,
Alain Meric
Customer Services Director
AOL Broadband

"Unquote

Mart
Old 18 January 2008, 01:05 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL

TCP/IP is what all computers use to communicated online

(Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol)

I'd be worried if it wasn't !

I just had a test on this stuff!!
Old 19 January 2008, 10:23 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AOL still working LOL

Thanks for all the help........ much appreciated

Shaun