Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

broadband uk - are we secretly there?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2002, 02:14 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heard from a reliable source that nearly all exchanges have been upgraded for adsl support. Its all the political red tape within BTs various groups (wholesale etc) causing the delay on the exchanges to be offically upgraded.
m8 in Ipswich is running on dsl even though his exchange still has a TBA rollout date [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
He did tell me how he got his connection, but I can't remember what he said . So hopefully I get a chance to speak to him next week to find out how he did it! will let u know if it is possible for us to perform the same tricks.
Old 18 January 2002, 02:19 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Would take that with a very large pinch of salt

Remember BT Labs, Marltesham is next to Ipswich, various beta trials etc are done in the local exchanges independant of the normal customer roll-out.

At least one guy on my project had a 2mb SDSL line for a while but it was part of a trial.

Deano
Old 18 January 2002, 02:43 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Deano - could well be load of cr@p but

Just spoke to my m8, he knows some friends, one who works in the exhanges and the other who works for BT ignite (ADSL team). They say BT ignite isn't by law allowed to tell Openworld when the exchanges has been upgraded. But BT ingite if they want to can legally tell other ISP!!!. There a numerous exhanges across the country that have been upgraded!

He mentioned the best way to find out if you got any change for adsl is to go the someone like Pipex or demon. They have alot more information on the exchanges than openworld due to the above "I can't tell u unless I shoot u" rubbish

The reason why he managed to get adsl is becuase he works from home alot and he requires a high speed link. he therefore informed his company (v.big bluechip) that his exchange was enabled becuase of the above. Within several months his company gave him adsl!

You are right on the BT lab, but didn't Ispwich not have ISDN for years?

rr

[Edited by roadrunner - 1/18/2002 2:44:36 PM]
Old 19 January 2002, 12:12 AM
stu200
Scooby Regular

Check out adslguide.org.uk