Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

connecing 360 too pc

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2008, 11:33 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default connecing 360 too pc

can i use the wireless adaptor to hoook up to my pc, so i can down load movies on to the pc then play them through xbox? how can this be done?
Old 14 January 2008, 12:49 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

in a nutshell yes,

do a search on here for 360 router & media streaming

Mart
Old 14 January 2008, 05:13 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Mart's the expert on here

look for his giant rambling threads
Old 14 January 2008, 09:19 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

haha
Old 14 January 2008, 09:33 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_wrx
can i use the wireless adaptor to hoook up to my pc, so i can down load movies on to the pc then play them through xbox? how can this be done?

If you want to stream video , you need Windows Media Centre on the hosting PC.

Also, if you are streamign video, you probably don't want to do it wirelessly, unless you have a very good connection between the Xbox and the router (and also the PC to the routert obviously)
Old 14 January 2008, 09:40 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
If you want to stream video , you need Windows Media Centre on the hosting PC.

Also, if you are streamign video, you probably don't want to do it wirelessly, unless you have a very good connection between the Xbox and the router (and also the PC to the routert obviously)
I'm sure it was a typo (), but you don't need Media Centre, you can play video from a USB 2.0 FAT32 removable drive, optical media, and by streaming from the Zune software or Windows Media Player 11

Xbox Team : Spring '07 Video Playback FAQ
Xbox Team : December 2007 Video Playback FAQ

Last edited by DJ Dunk; 14 January 2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 14 January 2008, 09:42 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Oh, and this is what you need to do:

Xbox.com | System Use - Use a PC with Xbox 360
Old 14 January 2008, 09:46 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
I'm sure it was a typo (), but you don't need Media Centre, you can play video from a USB 2.0 FAT32 removable drive, optical media, and by streaming from the Zune software or Windows Media Player 11

Xbox Team : Spring '07 Video Playback FAQ
Ahh cool, they changed it then - To be honest I only ever dabbled with it once - I never us the 360 to stream stuff - I did it a couple of time obviously to see what it was like, But at the time, it would only stream from my Vista PC and nto the XP one.
Old 14 January 2008, 10:18 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Yep you only need Media Player 11 installed on the pc, and you can share all of your compatible media
Old 14 January 2008, 10:20 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

My PC and 360 are both connected via Wifi to my Netgear DG834G router and streams Divx AVI's perfectly. PC is about 4m away and the 360 about 10m from the router.
Old 14 January 2008, 10:40 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
My PC and 360 are both connected via Wifi to my Netgear DG834G router and streams Divx AVI's perfectly. PC is about 4m away and the 360 about 10m from the router.
Now thats interesting. I hooked up the wireless adaptor for the first time yesterday. Considering the potential, I was a little dissapointed to find it would only play wmv video. Its going to be a little tedious converting files to stream, so.....How do you stream avi etc etc files?
Old 14 January 2008, 10:48 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

What format were the files in?

You can only stream files that are encoded in the correct format (i.e. stuff that the xbox can process). This includes wmv, raw avi, and divx. I've found that renaming .divx files to .avi often works
Old 14 January 2008, 10:56 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
Now thats interesting. I hooked up the wireless adaptor for the first time yesterday. Considering the potential, I was a little dissapointed to find it would only play wmv video. Its going to be a little tedious converting files to stream, so.....How do you stream avi etc etc files?
Do you have the latest dash update? divx was only enabled in the last update (circa 4th Dec)

Some old avi's wont play but stuff like 24 etc I've downloaded play perfectly.
Old 14 January 2008, 11:34 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5-Black
Mart's the expert on here

look for his giant rambling threads

Well i have being another play over the last few weeks,

heres what iv'e found:

Its a black art with various routers playing ball, or not

to date:

Netgear router DG834G V3

Will connect to live ok wireless. (behind firewall)
Wont media stream - wireless pc connection-wmp or zune. (behind firewall)
Wont media stream - wireless pc connection no firewall enabled
Nat moderate on xbox

Belkin F5D7633 V 1.24

Will connect to live ok wireless (behind firewall)
Will media stream - wireless pc connection-wmp or zune. (No firewall)
Will media stream on media centre (need to check firewall)
Nat open on xbox

re the Belkin, i understand Comodo have a firewall patch to enable the xbox to pass through, i,m going to investigate this further.

Re the Netgear, as it wont connect with no firewall in the sytem, i,m still at a loss as to why. Ive tried it on 2 different DG834Gv3 models now with no success on either.

Given that i have success with the Belkin, i,m going to stick with that for the mo. ( iv'e a bebox to try later)

Mart.

one quick q though

someone mentioned how i can get media full screen when streamed. where are the setting for that? i had a quick look at the xbox, but cant see anything obvious there.

Mart
Old 14 January 2008, 11:38 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by mart360
one quick q though

someone mentioned how i can get media full screen when streamed. where are the setting for that? i had a quick look at the xbox, but cant see anything obvious there.

Mart

Q: How do display modes work?
A: There are five display modes: auto, letterbox, full-screen, stretch, and native. To access these modes while watching a video, press Display on your remote or press A on your controller and then scroll to the Display mode icon. Press A to select one of the following display modes:
  • The auto setting attempts to automatically determine the optimal viewing experience for your video. If it is a very low-quality video, it will enlarge it enough to be viewable on your screen while limiting the size. Higher quality videos are enlarged to fit the TV screen. In all cases, the aspect ratio (for example, 4 × 3 or 16 × 9) of the original video is retained.
  • Letterbox mode displays your image full screen while retaining the aspect ratio of the original video. Use letterbox to override the auto function and fit the contents to your TV.
  • Full-screen mode displays your image full screen with the assumption that a video with an aspect ratio of 16 × 9 is formatted for screens with a 4 × 3 aspect ratio. This can be helpful for older content that may have an aspect ratio of 4 × 3 with black bars encoded into the video. This mode allows you to zoom through the black bars and display your content as widescreen.
  • Stretch mode displays your image full screen and stretches content with a 4 × 3 aspect ratio horizontally to fill a 16 × 9 TV screen. This is useful if you want to fill your TV screen regardless of the aspect ratio of the content. Content with a 4 × 3 aspect ratio displayed in this mode appears stretched.
  • Native mode lets you to see the content at its original resolution. Use this to view content that has extremely low resolution or features a low bit rate.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/digitalmedia/videoplaybackfaq.htm#displaymodes
Old 14 January 2008, 11:47 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Netgear router DG834G V3

Will connect to live ok wireless. (behind firewall)
Wont media stream - wireless pc connection no firewall enabled
Nat moderate on xbox
I've got the same router, and it works 100% fine. Got one elite wired to it via ethernet, and the other elite connecting wirelessly. Both are connecting to my Vista and XP machines and streaming content, and work fine with Xbox live (NAT is 100% fine). I didn't even have to set anything up on the router as it is all upnp

I still wonder if you have something in your house that is causing interference, (hence the moderate NAT). I know a few people with this router who all say it works absolutely fine...
Old 14 January 2008, 11:49 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I've got the same router, and it works 100% fine. Got one elite wired to it via ethernet, and the other elite connecting wirelessly. Both are connecting to my Vista and XP machines and streaming content, and work fine with Xbox live (NAT is 100% fine). I didn't even have to set anything up on the router as it is all upnp

I still wonder if you have something in your house that is causing interference, (hence the moderate NAT). I know a few people with this router who all say it works absolutely fine...
got the same router and works 100% also. Only thing I have to do is disable Norton Internet Security to play the avi's as it must block the port or something it uses.

mart it's down to something else on your system and certainly not the 360 or the router if they're set up correctly.
Old 14 January 2008, 01:38 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

got the same router and works 100% also. Only thing I have to do is disable Norton Internet Security to play the avi's as it must block the port or something it uses.

mart it's down to something else on your system and certainly not the 360 or the router if they're set up correctly.

I have to disagree, the Belkin was given full reboot, to take it back to stock settings, plugged in entered my isp logon details, and set up the wireless pass key.

it connected to the web, and with the firewall disabled, straight to the xbox for file sharing

both Netgears were subject to a factory reset, (one hadnt even been plugged in!! bnib) and set up exactly the same way.
ALL units can see and connect to live, belkin & netgear either behind or in the open so to speak. None can connect from behind the firewall to fileshare.

The xbox can see the netgear routers and will connect, but will not see it for file sharing.

plug the belkin back in... automatic connection & filesharing.

I,ll play with the heavily (locked) bebox later today or tommorow
and see what that does

if you want i,ll take screen dumps of both routers, configuration pages,

then you can see if it is down to me

mart
Old 14 January 2008, 01:55 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Well, you are the only person I have found who's had a problem with the Netgear. Mine (and my brothers, and a couple of friends) all worked first time out of the box using factory settings. In fact they are using that router because I had such a good experience with it

It's all very strange.
Old 14 January 2008, 04:24 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I,m goint to have another play later,

it may be my network settings on the pc?

i tried hooking the new router up today, and i cant access it from the pc

strange..

it may be ive set the network up incorrectly on the pc,, the descriptions and the little pictures they use are ok, if your pc meets the MS setup, it dosent seem to match the setup i have

it dosent help that i have loads of web connections shown in the configuration list. it give loads of names and numbers, but dosent actually say "this" is the connection/ hardware thats actually active.

another issue that may have an effect is file sharing.

because i dont understand how windows file sharing sytem is configured and administrated i have where possible disabled it.

this because my other half lets the kids loose on the lappy, and they click and save and download all sorts of junk. I dont want them erasing all my music and films.

if there is a way a can restrict the lappy from accessing the main pc then great, i,m all ears

i,ll update later

Mart
Old 14 January 2008, 05:08 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Just had a play with the BE box..

strange, the desktop pc wont talk to it on 192.168.1.254 via ethernet

i tried on the wifes lappy likewise... via ethernet no comms

so i opted for wireless connection, and it was fine. 192.168.1.254

now i know thats deffo not a network issue, as the wifes lappy has not been changed since purchase,

anyone got any ideas why they wont communicate via ethernet on startup, but will wirelessly?

the belkin is the same, although on the belkin i can reconfigure the start ip to 192.168.0.1 and then it talks via ethernet

mart
Old 14 January 2008, 07:07 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Right I went back to basics

i deleted all my internet connections, and used the network setup wizard

i allowed file and printer sharing, and disabled all firewalls (apart from the router one, don't know how to do that)

I left the Belkin in place turned on the xbox, and it found the pc

i turned off the xbox, connected the netgear, and turned on the xbox.

it found the netgear, and i entered the wep passkey. it connected to the router, and thats it. it steadfastly refuses to do anything else. it will connect to live, but will not show itself for media streaming.

i plugged the belkin back in....

straight away its found the xbox, and streaming video & audio

Just to make sure it wasn't me, i plugged the other netgear router in,

and exactly the same, it will acquire the ip address etc, but wont do anything further than that

mart
Old 14 January 2008, 07:08 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
Q: How do display modes work?
A: There are five display modes: auto, letterbox, full-screen, stretch, and native. To access these modes while watching a video, press Display on your remote or press A on your controller and then scroll to the Display mode icon. Press A to select one of the following display modes:
  • The auto setting attempts to automatically determine the optimal viewing experience for your video. If it is a very low-quality video, it will enlarge it enough to be viewable on your screen while limiting the size. Higher quality videos are enlarged to fit the TV screen. In all cases, the aspect ratio (for example, 4 × 3 or 16 × 9) of the original video is retained.
  • Letterbox mode displays your image full screen while retaining the aspect ratio of the original video. Use letterbox to override the auto function and fit the contents to your TV.
  • Full-screen mode displays your image full screen with the assumption that a video with an aspect ratio of 16 × 9 is formatted for screens with a 4 × 3 aspect ratio. This can be helpful for older content that may have an aspect ratio of 4 × 3 with black bars encoded into the video. This mode allows you to zoom through the black bars and display your content as widescreen.
  • Stretch mode displays your image full screen and stretches content with a 4 × 3 aspect ratio horizontally to fill a 16 × 9 TV screen. This is useful if you want to fill your TV screen regardless of the aspect ratio of the content. Content with a 4 × 3 aspect ratio displayed in this mode appears stretched.
  • Native mode lets you to see the content at its original resolution. Use this to view content that has extremely low resolution or features a low bit rate.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/digitalmedia/videoplaybackfaq.htm#displaymodes

widescreen Yeah

cheers

Mart
Old 15 January 2008, 02:32 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

what i want to do is have the x box with the wireless adaptor and a laptop with wifi enabled. will the laptop beable to connect to the xbox? i want to be able to download movies and hd content to laptop and then stream it through xbox onto hd telly.

is this possible and if so what bits would i need?
Old 15 January 2008, 08:22 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

what i want to do is have the x box with the wireless adaptor and a laptop with wifi enabled. will the laptop beable to connect to the xbox? i want to be able to download movies and hd content to laptop and then stream it through xbox onto hd telly.

BTTT because im doing a similar thing.
I have a Vista rig and an XP rig, which would be best?
Old 15 January 2008, 08:35 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

This guide is simple and worked for me Xbox 360 DivX, XviD Playback Guide | Articles - Digital Digest
Old 15 January 2008, 09:07 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

providing the laptop is up to the job then yeah this can be done no problems. mart is the only one having problems because he has some firewall issue somewhere stopping things working but he's blaming it on the router and over complicating things. Nice chap but best ignored when talking about these things
Old 15 January 2008, 09:13 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

providing the laptop is up to the job then yeah this can be done no problems. mart is the only one having problems because he has some firewall issue somewhere stopping things working but he's blaming it on the router and over complicating things. Nice chap but best ignored when talking about these things
ha ha

Ive now got the router talking to the xbox and vice versa,

the firewall issues will be resolved hopefully today

other than that it now seems to be working on the Bebox

Mart
Old 15 January 2008, 09:20 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

ha ha

Ive now got the router talking to the xbox and vice versa,

the firewall issues will be resolved hopefully today

other than that it now seems to be working on the Bebox

Mart
Old 15 January 2008, 04:49 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a wireless connection running from my xbox to my home pc at the moment connected to the t`internet.
Is it possible to connect my laptop straight to my xbox through the ethernet cable for media sharing and playing movies etc? Without jepordising my current connection.
My lappy is a better spec then my old rig thats temporamental and will only play media files using vlc!!!

Quick Reply: connecing 360 too pc