Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

I love my PS3!

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2008, 04:20 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love my PS3!

Finally succumbed to the whole next-gen console thing over Christmas.

Debated long and hard between Xbox360 or PS3 (or Wii) and very pleased I picked the Sony - but promised myself an Xbox360 if the choice of games didn't improve.

Very slick piece of kit , easy to setup and get going on the net.

Nice and quiet operation.

Reliable - hasn't missed a beat

Amazed at my choice of games.... (in order)

Motor Storm - great fun, spectacular courses
Uncharted - Just my type of game - bit of running, gunning and puzzle solving
Kane & Lynch - loved hitman, so naturally ignored all the criticisms and got stuck in. Not perfect by any means, but really enjoyable
COD4 next on the list when I finish Uncharted.

By the way, can I recommend to everyone the best piece of kit I've bought in AGES....a High Def projector. Gives me a 68" display (I could get bigger if I had the throw distance). Looks AMAZING, tons of colour and brightness. Mine projects onto the wall (no screen needed) Would NEVER go back to a TV now for gaming - my bro got a 50" Pioneer plasma TV which looks fantastic, but still falls short of the projector.

I hooked up 4x flat panel speakers, 2 sub-woofers and an a/v amp and it KICKS ***!! ;-)
Old 02 January 2008, 04:52 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

I have all 3. All of them have their pros and cons but without a doubt the Xbox 360 is still the best at this point in time (and has been since it was
released).

So ner ner ner
Old 02 January 2008, 05:21 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tobisausage
I have all 3. All of them have their pros and cons but without a doubt the Xbox 360 is still the best at this point in time (and has been since it was
released).

So ner ner ner
Same here I have all 3 as well. And admit that between the 3 I play more on the 360 and the wii. You'll soon change your mind when you start to have to sit there minutes on end waiting for the SONY updates before you can play games etc... But I can recommend Ratchet and Clank on the PS3.
Old 02 January 2008, 05:31 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Uncharted is actually not that bad either (its better than assassins creed). The rest of the shared platform games like COD4, Assassins creed etc are no better in terms of graphics on the PS3.
Old 02 January 2008, 05:39 PM
Smiler-Wrx
Scooby Regular

Its better than waiting for the Red Ring of death
You know its coming but when
I know ive had 3 of them now just one Ps3

Last edited by Smiler-Wrx; 02 January 2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02 January 2008, 05:46 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smiler-Wrx
Its better than waiting for the Red Ring of deaf
How much is the official xbox hearing aid?
Old 02 January 2008, 08:17 PM
Smiler-Wrx
Scooby Regular

Dont give Bill any more stupid ideas

Last edited by Smiler-Wrx; 02 January 2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02 January 2008, 10:05 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

this wasn't meant to be a thread to slag off Xbox360 - I just chose the one I preferred
Old 02 January 2008, 10:09 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

The more my bluray gets used the more it makes sense. Current highlights are Planet Earth and Blade Runner!
Old 02 January 2008, 11:26 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Bought my PS3 a fortnight back, and loving it so far - very nice.

Still like my 360, but the PS3 is just as nice, plus built in wi-fi and free to play online is superb.

Playing Assassins Creed and its great, desptie what some people/review say - it reall yis my sort of thing. Playing COD4 on the 360 although that hasn't been on since buying the PS.
Old 03 January 2008, 03:46 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smiler-Wrx
Its better than waiting for the Red Ring of death
You know its coming but when
I know ive had 3 of them now just one Ps3
Id rather have tons of fun gaming waiting for the RROD than be bored on a PS3.
Old 03 January 2008, 09:28 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Anyone got sega rally? I played the demo, liked it so bought the game, can never find much happening online though. my ID is gazooo68 btw.

Gary
Old 03 January 2008, 12:44 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr.Manchester
That all depends what you want from the games though - the games I like are on both platforms so I can simply choose the cheapest version (like I did with assassins creed when buying it).

The only 360 exclusive that bothers me is Forza 2 and I was bored of that after about 2 hours.

Plus the fact I can play Blu-ray discs on my new HD TV in a month or two is superb
Old 03 January 2008, 01:00 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr.Manchester

Just wait till grand turismo comes out on the PS3 then, supposed to be the first game with true 1080p
Old 03 January 2008, 02:20 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
Just wait till grand turismo comes out on the PS3 then, supposed to be the first game with true 1080p
Ah, 1080p - the promised land.

To be honest, developers are finding it hard enough to maintain framerate in 720p mode, never mind the huge overhead of 1080p, so I'm not convinced we'll see many games utilising it, anytime soon.

My HD projector informs me which graphics mode which game uses, and the only game so far to use 1080p , that I've seen, has been the Gran Turismo-HD demo.

Anyone know when they're releasing the GT5 Prologue demo on PSN ?

Last edited by spectrum48k; 03 January 2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03 January 2008, 02:36 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Gran Turismo HD Concept for PS3 - Gran Turismo HD Concept Playstation 3 - Gran Turismo HD Concept PS3 Game

If it ever comes out.
Old 03 January 2008, 02:46 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Brother in law has been playing prologue (demo?) after setting up a jap account - thinks its the best thing since sliced bread and looking at getting a wheel to go with it...

gonna wait for the uk release personally.
Old 03 January 2008, 03:03 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
Brother in law has been playing prologue (demo?) after setting up a jap account - thinks its the best thing since sliced bread and looking at getting a wheel to go with it...

gonna wait for the uk release personally.
I tried, but they only put it on the JAP website for a limited period. Its gone now.
Old 03 January 2008, 04:11 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
Ah, 1080p - the promised land.

To be honest, developers are finding it hard enough to maintain framerate in 720p mode, never mind the huge overhead of 1080p, so I'm not convinced we'll see many games utilising it, anytime soon.

My HD projector informs me which graphics mode which game uses, and the only game so far to use 1080p , that I've seen, has been the Gran Turismo-HD demo.

Anyone know when they're releasing the GT5 Prologue demo on PSN ?
So what do they mean when the games say "720p,1080i,1080p" on the back of the boxes? Surely they have to be 1080p or it's false advertising? I was looking in Game today and several claim to be 1080p?

Geezer
Old 03 January 2008, 04:23 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

High Defintion comes in 3 flavours:

720p
1080i
1080p

The "number" refers to the number of horizontal lines that make up the picture. The more lines the more detail.

As for the suffix "p" means progressive scan and the short answer is, its much superior to "i"

To get a smooth graphics, you have to draw these 720 lines every 50 or 60th of a second without fail. This takes a lot of processing power.

If a game uses 1080p it means its drawing a LOT more lines on screen, and it still has to maintain this every 50 or 60th of a second to look smooth. Its much harder for the programmer/console to manage.

Games like these will be scarce until programmers really get the hang of the next-gen consoles.

Hence a TV capable of 1080p has more horsepower under the hood and is more expensive than a TV that can only manage 720p.

As for games advertising they run at 720p or 1080p or whatever, there's lots of cheating going on - HALO 3 for example doesn't run at a true 720p, but instead draws significantly less lines. Very few people noticed the difference.

Last edited by spectrum48k; 03 January 2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04 January 2008, 12:55 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a case of it displays in these modes, but is it native, there's a difference.

I loved GT1 on the psx, first of it's kind, set the standards unfortuanately they repeated and rinsed for the next few releases, same tracks, updated cars, same races, they milked the naive public, unless GT5 is something groundbraking, which judging by it's release date and whats out on 360/wii/pc by then then it's nothing new, so why are 90% of ps3 owners trying to justify their purchase of the ps3 on some fantasy? The game will be run of the mill "the norm" by time it's finally shelved.
Old 04 January 2008, 01:31 AM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Call Of Duty 4 will run in 1080p, also how many people here are using cooling fans for the PS3's ?. Also who has had problems with the fans ?.
Old 04 January 2008, 09:49 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I didn't think any of the 360 games were 1080p natively - despite having an Elite I'm not using the HDMI, still using the component as my TV's 2 HDMI ports are occupied with the Sky HD & PS3.

I suppose I should really get an HDMI switchbox but it if the 360 doesnt do 1080p natively - and I'm pretty sure it doesnt (it upscales) then I'd rather stick with the native 720p and component does just fine for that.

Bearing in mind that not all games on the 360 are HD, and others which are that still dont even manage 720 (cough, Halo3, PGR3, et al) how is the console going to be capable of chucking out more than double the pixels?

Until I get my HDMI switching AV Amp (the one that Santa forgot to bring) I'm unlkely to find out for myself
Old 04 January 2008, 09:59 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
I loved GT1 on the psx, first of it's kind, set the standards unfortuanately they repeated and rinsed for the next few releases, same tracks, updated cars, same races, they milked the naive public, unless GT5 is something groundbraking, which judging by it's release date and whats out on 360/wii/pc by then then it's nothing new, so why are 90% of ps3 owners trying to justify their purchase of the ps3 on some fantasy? The game will be run of the mill "the norm" by time it's finally shelved.
Agree with that Bob, GT1 and 2 were awesome in their time. I skipped 3 and went straight to 4 and it was too much of the same just prettier which isnt good enough. The gt5 hd demo looks amazing but it does need to have new things to keep it interesting. On my ps2 I ended up playing toca 3 much more than gt4 just because of the variety of different vehicles and the fact it had real uk racing circuits. I'm in the 10%, didnt buy the ps3 for gt5, I would love to see toca 4 or a forza 2 equivalent for the ps3.

Gary
Old 04 January 2008, 10:14 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

There is a new racing game coming from the TOCA devs (codemasters?), the name escapes me at the moment (if it even has one yet), but apparently the AI is being programmed so that no matter what your skill level, there'll always be somebody looming large in your rear view mirror.

Screenshots look akin to PGR from what I've seen - looks very promising.
Old 04 January 2008, 10:29 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by messiah
There is a new racing game coming from the TOCA devs (codemasters?), the name escapes me at the moment (if it even has one yet), but apparently the AI is being programmed so that no matter what your skill level, there'll always be somebody looming large in your rear view mirror.

Screenshots look akin to PGR from what I've seen - looks very promising.
Grid

Looking amazing...
Old 04 January 2008, 12:24 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

It's a case of it displays in these modes, but is it native, there's a difference.

A bit harsh bob, but agreed, its getting long in the tooth.

Hopefully the new online racing element will add some life. Anyone know if we'll be able to sample this in the new Prologue demo - did the Jap version offer it ?
Old 04 January 2008, 01:10 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

yes, and online TT's were added on 25th Dec IIRC.
Old 04 January 2008, 01:30 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

That and GTA IV
Old 04 January 2008, 01:40 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Quick Reply: I love my PS3!