Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Alternatives to water cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2007, 12:55 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternatives to water cooling?

I've converted my old PC into an MP3 jukebox using a micro ATX case, which is tucked away in a cupboard. It's already overheated and shut itself down once - as I didn't realise how hot it had got.

Are there any alternatives to water cooling? There isn't a lot of room inside the case, but there is some in the cupbard.

I'm a bit dissapointed as the system is great - bought a touch screen monitor and PC Jukebox software, and have got it to boot directly into the software.

What should I be focusing on cooling? The hard drive? The entire back of the PC felt really hot, too hot to hold...The system isn't THAT ancient really, is a 2.5ghz with 500MB RAM...

Any advice?
Old 03 December 2007, 02:47 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Does the PC cool adequately when it's out of the cupboard?

My first guess would be that it's the air in the cupboard that is getting too hot and causing the PC to overheat. If that's the case, water cooling would only benefit if you were using the water cooling kit to transfer the heat outside of the cupboard.

One option might be putting a small fan on the back of the cupboard to draw air through the cupboard.

Is there room on the case to add another fan to ensure plenty of air is moving through the PC case?
Old 03 December 2007, 02:54 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Also, perhaps some ventilation slats in the cupboard door ?
Old 03 December 2007, 04:10 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Leave the cupboard open slightly.

I think water cooling would only work to a certain degree, but in a closed system the heat has to go somewhere and ultimately it will all end up inside the cupboard.
Old 04 December 2007, 11:51 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

It's shutting down because the CPU is getting too hot. Try using a more efficient heatsink, or under-clocking the chip, or both. That said, if the system is in a cupboard any heat it ejects will get drawn back in, so you really need to look at venting the cupboard.
Old 04 December 2007, 01:18 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Have you checked what temp it instructs itself to auto shutdown? Maybe it's set unnecessarily low?

Otherwise, can you remove a side panel from the case? For all the 'science' of having air sucked in the front of cases and blown out the back, or getting bigger fans etc, I've always found simply taking off a panel is easily the most effective solution. HTH
Old 05 December 2007, 01:34 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Thanks for all the advice, the problem is obviously because the cupboard is closed with the PC on.

Tried taking the lid off, but it still gets hot - I know it sounds really daft, but there is an unused hole behind the cupbard (which is on an outside wall) from when Sky+ was moved, could I fix a small radiator to the outside of the house? Would that be overkill?

Would I be better off just swiss cheesing the back of the cupboard? I've had to drill holes in the back of it anyway...

I called it a cupboard for ease, its actually a two door small sideboard.

The logical solution is to have the doors open, but that looks untidy (and encourages my one year old daughter to investigate... )
Old 05 December 2007, 03:55 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

You just need to get a bit of airflow through the cupboard.

A couple of 120mm fans - one top (blow out) & one bottom (suck in) should do the trick.

You can power them off the PC's 12v rail too - that way they only come on when the PC does.

The larger 120mm fans are near enough silent if you get a quality brand.
Old 05 December 2007, 06:18 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Another vote for airflow through the cupboard. That means some holes/slats or another idea that gets air into the front of the cupboard. Then exhaust through the back. This is pretty much how most machines work these days, air in front, exhaust out the back.

You could have an external radiator to the cupboard to fulfill your needs. That would transfer the absorbed heat out of the closed unit to wherever the radiator is located. Be aware though, the only heat that will be transferred will be from the water cooled heatsinks. That means there will still be heat being generated inside the cupboard, just not as much.

A Zalman Reserator can look very cool if you are into that sort of thing.
Old 05 December 2007, 06:47 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

agreed, hook some fans up, i have an old 1.2ghz thunderbird running the cctv system at work and that is in a cupboard, the shelf above it holds old car mags and they started getting really hot

you could also try undervolting/underclocking the cpu to help keep temps down?
Old 06 December 2007, 01:35 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
the shelf above it holds old **** mags and they started getting really hot
so thats where the name stickyMicky comes from