Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

I need some advice about wireless routers, set up and best model ?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2007, 06:38 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some advice about wireless routers, set up and best model ?

I am not an expert when it comes to PC`s and routers so i need a bit of advice, i currently have a D-Link router with ethernet cable and i want to change to a wireless router mainly because of the problem of the cables in a newly decoprated house as i don`t want cables everywhere.

Firstly can you tell me if i need any special cards to put in my laptop which is a Toshiba Satellite Pro A30 so that it recognises the wireless router or does the card or usb connection come with the router ?

Secondly will the main pc in the house need any special card as well to recognise the wireless router, sorry for the basic questions but i really have no idea how these wireless routers work.

Will a wireless router greatly affect my broadband speed as ive read somewhere that you lose speed, if so how much speed will you lose from a 4 meg connection ?

Lastly and not least, which wireless router would you recommend, its for a main pc and a laptop ?
Old 28 November 2007, 10:02 PM
Dee NI
Scooby Regular

I use a Belkin modem/router which is a year or so old now. Hasn't gave me any trouble. I also have a Belkin wireless network adapter card for my desktop. Handiest way to know if you have one on yours is to look at the back and see if there is a wee stubby aerial where the cards and connections come out. Or check your hardware in device manager settings. My laptop is WiFi enabled so I can connect to the router. Most new laptops come wifi enables now but again you'll have to check your specific model. Failing that you'll need a wireless card for a laptop. I'd go for Belkin again. Try and keep your whole setup the same brand whatever you go for so it's going to be all compatible.
As for broadband spped on wireless, I've had no bother. Wireless transfers are alot greater than the max broadband speeds in most cases.

Hope this is of some help.

Damien
Old 28 November 2007, 10:05 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I would recommend a netgear only because they are so popular, if you do have problems then there are plenty of people to give help / advice.

As above, wireless will not affect the broadband speed. However if you to lots of large file transfers between your pc and laptop, wireless is slow compared to wired.
Old 28 November 2007, 10:59 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
I would recommend a netgear only because they are so popular, if you do have problems then there are plenty of people to give help / advice.

As above, wireless will not affect the broadband speed. However if you to lots of large file transfers between your pc and laptop, wireless is slow compared to wired.
agreed, unless you pay more for the wireless ! and dont use USB2..

I would also recommend Netgear.. have setup hundreds for customers and always been excellent !
Old 28 November 2007, 11:06 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

So how does netgear work, do i have to bin my current D-Link ethernet router and replace it with Netgear ?

Is Netgear easy to set up as well, will i need some sort of card for my laptop and main pc using this method ?

How do you rate HomePlug ?
Old 28 November 2007, 11:11 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
So how does netgear work, do i have to bin my current D-Link ethernet router and replace it with Netgear ?

Is Netgear easy to set up as well, will i need some sort of card for my laptop and main pc using this method ?

How do you rate HomePlug ?
Well yeah.. if your current router is not wireless it is of no use to you.

I'd suggest a home networking set.. something like
Wireless Starter Kit: DGB111G

comes will all you need for PC or laptop.. each PC would then requires either a cable to the netgear router or a wireless receiver !