Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

USA video console sales - october

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2007, 03:45 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USA video console sales - october

* Nintendo Wii: 519K (5 million total)
* Nintendo DS: 458K (13.6 million total)
* Microsoft Xbox 360: 366K (7.1 million total)
* Sony PSP: 286K (8.8 million total)
* Sony PlayStation 2: 184K (39.4 million total)
* Sony PlayStation 3: 121K (1.9 million total)

source NPD

Update: Different story in Japan (but much smaller market):

* Nintendo DS Lite: 78,854
* Sony PSP: 58,964
* Sony PS3: 55,924
* Nintendo Wii: 4,546
* Sony PS2: 9,043
* Sony Xbox360: 5,817

Last edited by spectrum48k; 17 November 2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 16 November 2007, 03:59 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Blimey, both the PS2 and PSP outselling the PS3, and 3 times as many 360s sold over the PS3 as well!! I wouldn't have expected that at all. Perhaps all the old 60gb models have sold now so the previous sales spike is dying away.

Nintendo must be rubbing their hands in glee
Old 16 November 2007, 09:18 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

If it makes the idiots in the game industry think, then its a start. EA and the like got it all wrong, and when the penny dropped they framtically back-pedalled and re-allocated resources for Wii development.

Its not ALL about photo-realism and who's the fastest.
Old 17 November 2007, 12:41 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

The more my missus keeps getting and playing new games on her DS, the more and more I'm getting tempted to get one myself. Lots of good fun games on it, with a classic gaming feel and lots of Zelda-esque RPGs which float my boat Seems a bit overkill getting two though, she just needs to stop playing it as much

Do you guys thing that the Nintendo consoles being cheaper has made them more appealing to the younger person market, with mum and dad more willing to get them those cheaper consoles, with the less violent games? I know some younger kids still want/like 360 and PS3, but wondering if there is an age cutoff where say 5-13 year olds go for the Nintendo, then 13+ the 360 & PS3, with parents more willing to buy the more fun machines.

Interesting figures nonetheless, thanks for the continued reports speccy
Old 17 November 2007, 01:10 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
The more my missus keeps getting and playing new games on her DS, the more and more I'm getting tempted to get one myself. Lots of good fun games on it, with a classic gaming feel and lots of Zelda-esque RPGs which float my boat Seems a bit overkill getting two though, she just needs to stop playing it as much

Do you guys thing that the Nintendo consoles being cheaper has made them more appealing to the younger person market, with mum and dad more willing to get them those cheaper consoles, with the less violent games? I know some younger kids still want/like 360 and PS3, but wondering if there is an age cutoff where say 5-13 year olds go for the Nintendo, then 13+ the 360 & PS3, with parents more willing to buy the more fun machines.

Interesting figures nonetheless, thanks for the continued reports speccy
I think the games industry as it stands is missing out on a huge demographic, which Nintendo is only starting to tap into. It's not necessarily just being cheaper that's made them appealing - its the type of entertainment they offer.

Most other games are written by blokes for blokes - fighting (violence as you put it), racing, male orientated sports like FIFA and NBA, etc.. and there'll always be a place for that BUT Nintendo are aware there's a huge world beyond that market and are only just starting to reap the rewards.

Nolan Bushnell, Atari founder and one of the pioneers of the arcade game winces whenever he's asked about the games market, which he believes hasn't hardly progressed beyond Doom clones and the like. He's got a Wii though!

"What I have consistently been concerned about is sort of the repetition and the lack of innovation... as much as I applaud the beautiful, fantastic production guys of Halo 3, it's really Doom 1 in different clothing. Clothing or not, the clothing is nicer, but the game is the same", Bushnell said in an interview with GameTap.

"And so is it an economic success to do Halo 3? Absolutely. Is the network connecting architecture fantastic? Yes, it's wonderful. Is there real innovation? Not a lot."

When queried on what he views as innovative videogames, Bushnell picked out the likes of Tetris, The Sims, Spore, Wii, Dance Dance Revolution and Guitar Hero.

"There's a lot of people think that bigger, faster, better is an innovation", he continued. "It's not. It's just bigger, faster, better."

He sees a drop in the cost of production as the catalyst for innovation - where you see innovation starting to come, said Bushnell, is in the casual game space.

In the interview he also took a swipe at the Grand Theft Auto series.

"...they can say it's R-rated and what have you. But the reality is kids play that game, and it really not only doesn't teach you anything [of value], it teaches you the wrong things.

"It values antisocial behavior, and God knows we've got a certain amount of problem with that in the United States or in the world today. I just feel like, you know, these things that you can make a buck on should be chastised."

Last edited by spectrum48k; 17 November 2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old 17 November 2007, 09:16 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I think i was exposed to some "edcase" technology at the weekend, i was playing rainbow six vegas for the first time, and as i passed some of the billboards, it was showing posters for beowulf, had to admit it was clever, but then realised its scary, cant oem's leave us alone, we get bombarded with adds every minute of our life. sometimes its nice to do something with no bells & whistles ..

We have a wii, and its used by all members of the family. my wife, me, my four year old, and my fifteen year old.

The 360 is myself and the 15year old

the PS2 is the 4 year old & me

one other advantage of the Wii is there are some cracking gamecube games that can be played as well (try Pickmin its simple but bloody hard)

i have to admit i find some of the latest gen console releases unplayable,

GOW & R6 to name two, these so much detail and movement going on, its almost impossible to see what or where your going. whilst technologically there superb, the gameplay is muted.

Thats what Nintendo have seen, look back at early 80,s console / computer games, a near on vertical learning curve, but hugely addictive.

the Wii, has adictive and fun gameplay with modern technology

i hope they do well

mart
Old 17 November 2007, 09:29 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
I just think as above they (Nintendo) have widened the appeal of video games to all ages and males and females, just like they have done with the DS. The cost is lower because no doubt the R&D costs of the hardware is so much lower than that of the PS3 and 360. I'm well pleased with my Wii, its superb in a social situation, it hasnt been used as much of late but there are some great titles starting to appear. That said I bought a PS3 this week as well for some adult gaming and a good online multi-player experience.

Gary