Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

media streaming xbox360 - pc

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2007, 12:48 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default media streaming xbox360 - pc

Well i still cant get this pos utility to work,

something is going wrong, but what? im totally stumped..

I downloaded and installed a new partition on my HD, i installed WMCE, and the first thing i did was try to connect and once agin the box tells me i have no pc on the network....

now i,m no it wizard, but if the box can connect to live, then it can find the router, if it finds the router then why cant it see the sodding great pc thats plugged into the fecking router!!!!!

i,ll run it by you in the vain hope that my error will be spotted

Router NG DG8434G

IP address for router 192.168.0.1

Ive set up a static address for the PC 192.168.0.200

ive set up a fixed ip for the xbox, only so a can see if it shows up in the system IP 192.168.0.10

the only other thing i have on the system is a wireless lappy, which is set to auto, so it finds its only ip and connects

no matter what i do the box says there is no pc on the system...

what do i have to do to get the bloody thing found?

ive heard tales of DMZ zones and DHCP severs, but that means jack to me.

port forwarding ,,, dosen't work on the router....... trust me!!! you give me evidence to show it works and perhaps i,ll believe you, but i could set the thing to wide open and still nothing is shown as forwarding!!!

wip wep wsk wask whatever security, again more geek mu8mbo jumbo, no matter what i do there it makes no difference.

please dont point me at the port forward web page, is dosen't work either.

what are the boxes for? whats the purpose of the boxes? data you enter in the boxes dosen't do anything, so why have them?

mart

seriously pissed off and fed up with the so called integrated experiance.
(my &rse)

Mart
Old 16 November 2007, 08:40 AM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

change > router > cheap ebay router for "testing > mart stops posting about 360 streaming?
Old 16 November 2007, 09:03 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'd make sure the router is running the latest firmware from the netgear site. Run the wizard to connect to your ISP. I have that router and connect perfectly with my 360. All I did to connect was set up the security as WPA and set the password I wanted. I don't use static Ip's. I use DHCP which as I understand just assigns one to the 360 when it connects. I didn't change any of those settings though.

From the 360 just run the Xbox live test and when asked for the password put it in and job done.

Only other thing was on the PC I had to set which folders to share in WMC and allow the 360 to use them. few clicks of the mouse.

I think you're making it far more complicated than it is.
Old 16 November 2007, 07:14 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
I'd make sure the router is running the latest firmware from the netgear site. Run the wizard to connect to your ISP. I have that router and connect perfectly with my 360. All I did to connect was set up the security as WPA and set the password I wanted. I don't use static Ip's. I use DHCP which as I understand just assigns one to the 360 when it connects. I didn't change any of those settings though.

From the 360 just run the Xbox live test and when asked for the password put it in and job done.

Only other thing was on the PC I had to set which folders to share in WMC and allow the 360 to use them. few clicks of the mouse.

I,ll give it a try and let you know

Mart
Old 16 November 2007, 09:11 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Live has never been a problem, its the media sharing, what did you do to make the Xbox see the PC, according to my xbox i dont have a pc on the network, which is garbage

Mart
Old 16 November 2007, 11:07 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Well it still dosent work and just to cap it off, Windows has decided to assign a random password to my admin account, which i wasnt aware off,

so now i cant log onto windows on the other OS

**** it, the adaptor is going in the bin and i,m going to bed.

I,ll send it back to gates tommorow and ask him for compo

Mart
Old 17 November 2007, 11:34 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

have you tried a different router yet?

Trending Topics

Old 17 November 2007, 11:29 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
have you tried a different router yet?
Monday i should be getting another router to try

Mart
Old 19 November 2007, 10:44 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Well i got the other router (belkin)

went through the process, of setting it up -- its just a router so no net side to configure--

and nothing , nada zip, exactly the same as before, so i was ready to sling it then i thought lets move the router close to the xbox (im upstairs 3rd floor) even thought the router can connect for live, up here media streaming was no go

so i tried it on the next floor down, and wah hay it found the xbox, and started to connect, but still wouldnt play ball...

so i dropped my long ethernet lead in the back and hung it over the banister so it was at ground floor ceiling height...

and it connected :lu xhello::luxh ello:

media & music all ok....

so now the plan is to repeat the same with the netgear, if the netgear connects being that close, its time to do some cabeling(sp)

if not its out to buy a different router

Mart

a slightly happier bunny today
Old 20 November 2007, 08:44 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Well the netgear is a pile of crap

i tried various settings & positions, even top the pont of sitting the router within 3 inches of the xbox.

could it find it could it ****, even with resetting the router and running it with no security it still couldnt see the xbox

Compare that to the belkin, i could see straight away what was connected, showed the mrs's lappy the xbox and the home pc, the netgear shows all but with no names..... why not? there being sent to the router.

looks like my brand new dg will be going on fleabay

Mart
Old 20 November 2007, 10:34 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

sounds like user error or a fault router to me. Many people are using the same router with no problems.
Old 21 November 2007, 06:27 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

well i did try and give you the advice to "try a different router weeks ago"
Old 21 November 2007, 09:51 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
well i did try and give you the advice to "try a different router weeks ago"
well i couldnt get hold of one that quick

at least i know now

Mart
Old 21 November 2007, 09:53 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

sounds like user error or a fault router to me. Many people are using the same router with no problems.
A totally reset router, and a vanilla install of MCE with no firewall other than windows own, all the respective firewall ports open.

Its a pile of poo and will be exchanged asap

Mart
Old 21 November 2007, 11:14 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Just because the router is reset, doesn't mean it's not faulty. I've used MCE and Vista, and both worked first time with no fiddling about with my Netgear WPN824...
Old 21 November 2007, 11:59 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

snap Iain. The router is generally a highly recommended one and for good reason. Mart... sort it out!
Old 22 November 2007, 08:47 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

snap Iain. The router is generally a highly recommended one and for good reason. Mart... sort it out!
for your info i have two dg834g router, one brand new and never used, the other 12 months old.

both failed to connect to the xbox for media streaming, one duff one yes fair do,s but two !!!

Mart
Old 23 November 2007, 12:08 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That's weird. Are you sure it's the router at fault and not your PC, (or perhaps some other device on your network conflicting?).

p.s. I think (don't quote me on it) that if you put the xbox in the DMZ, then it won't be able to see the PC. Just a though if you've put it in there. On the WPN824, it has UPNP so there's no need to even set up the ports. It just works (at least it did for me).
Old 23 November 2007, 06:32 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
That's weird. Are you sure it's the router at fault and not your PC, (or perhaps some other device on your network conflicting?).

p.s. I think (don't quote me on it) that if you put the xbox in the DMZ, then it won't be able to see the PC. Just a though if you've put it in there. On the WPN824, it has UPNP so there's no need to even set up the ports. It just works (at least it did for me).
Hi Iain,

to recap,

i installed WMCE on a brand new partition of the HD, no other programms were added other than drivers for my gfx card. and M/B. the firewall was windows own, configured for WMCE

with the belkin router it both found the xbox, and connected both on media streaming, and on live

With both netgears, both reset one 12 months old, one brand new and unused (had it for 6 months) both would allow connection to live, but neither could find the xbox for media streaming, despite being sat ontop as near as dam to the xbox.

Two faulty routers? with exactly the same fault? not very likely

looking for a belkin next time

Mart
Old 23 November 2007, 07:09 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That is odd. Can't explain that one at all (seeing as mine worked so easily). If belkin works for you then it might be worth trying if only to save the aggro