Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

newsgroups - where ? how?

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2007, 06:48 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newsgroups - where ? how?

as title, many people mention using newsgroups but how do you use them, how do you find them etc

pm if you dont want to post it

thanks
james
Old 15 November 2007, 08:14 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a connection to a newsgroup server and sadly the good ones are pay per month..

For example

Newsgroups, Usenet News Server, News Servers, Newsgroup, NNTP - Giganews is excellent

I used grabit to view the newsgroups !

and paid 3 euros a month to use the shemes.com search within grabit !!
Old 15 November 2007, 09:07 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I use newzbin hard to find a good one now that you can register with ??
Old 15 November 2007, 11:31 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I use easynews as my Usenet provider and I use Grabit or Newsbin Pro as my reader.

You'll also need something like Quickpar for the .par files.

I use nzbmatrix.com for my nzb files (these are the lists of bits you need to download).

Good luck

geezer
Old 16 November 2007, 08:52 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Easynews here
Old 16 November 2007, 08:57 AM
Explorer
BANNED

I rate Easynews as well.
Old 16 November 2007, 11:03 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Is it worth paying for this sort of service. What is available that you cannot find at a good torrent site?

Trending Topics

Old 16 November 2007, 11:11 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Is it worth paying for this sort of service. What is available that you cannot find at a good torrent site?
Nothing, people who say newgroups are better than torrents have never used private trackers !

The securty of someone catching you is less in newsgroups but.. meh

I use the famous Leech and always get 2.4Mb/sec and its free

I cancelled my newsgroups connection.
Old 16 November 2007, 11:15 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Luminous
Well, I'm sure someone will contradict me, but from my own experience, the advantage is far greater speed and you don't have to earn points as a seeder to get performance or keep loads of stuff on your hardrive for others to leech from you, you just pay, and it's instant download gratification!

I also find that the forums attached to the nzb sites are very helpful, so if there is a problem with a particular download, you can get info on what to do, but with torrents, I awlays found it to be a bit of a lottery.

Like I say though, some people use torrents quite happily, make a decision based on your needs.

The only other thing is that usenet is a paid for service, so service is guaranteed, unlike torrents.

Geezer
Old 16 November 2007, 11:23 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, thanks
Old 16 November 2007, 12:25 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Well, I'm sure someone will contradict me, but from my own experience, the advantage is far greater speed and you don't have to earn points as a seeder to get performance or keep loads of stuff on your hardrive for others to leech from you, you just pay, and it's instant download gratification!

I also find that the forums attached to the nzb sites are very helpful, so if there is a problem with a particular download, you can get info on what to do, but with torrents, I awlays found it to be a bit of a lottery.

Like I say though, some people use torrents quite happily, make a decision based on your needs.

The only other thing is that usenet is a paid for service, so service is guaranteed, unlike torrents.

Geezer
Nothing is guaranteed my friend.. I'm happy to share, makes me feel part of the community and its free! each to their own !
Old 16 November 2007, 12:30 PM
Explorer
BANNED

I use both, gives the best of both worlds.
Old 16 November 2007, 03:48 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

daft question time, I downloaded grabit and then set it up to use some free newsgroup servers but it couldnt connect. It gave the option of 2 ports, one was something like 119 and the other was 443 (maybe wrong but at work so cannot check) tried both but still no joy, is it just a case of subscribing to a subscription based svs?
Old 16 November 2007, 03:52 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
daft question time, I downloaded grabit and then set it up to use some free newsgroup servers but it couldnt connect. It gave the option of 2 ports, one was something like 119 and the other was 443 (maybe wrong but at work so cannot check) tried both but still no joy, is it just a case of subscribing to a subscription based svs?
I don't know what your error means specifically, but on a broader note, I don't know of any free Usenet service that does binaries now, as the amount of data is prohibitive, so it's probably worth signing up for Easynews or Giganews etc. With the $ so weak, Easynews is currently less than a fiver a month!

Geezer
Old 16 November 2007, 03:54 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Nothing is guaranteed my friend.. I'm happy to share, makes me feel part of the community and its free! each to their own !
I'm not unhappy to share, but I don't want to leave my PC on all the time either so other people can leech off me. I also don't want to keep loads of stuff that I don't need or want just to keep my score up.

However, like you say, each to their own!

Geezer
Old 16 November 2007, 03:55 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
Port 119 TCP is the default port for the NNTP protocol (Network News Transfer Protocol)

Port TCP 443 is for News servers that allow you to connect over SSL so it's encrypted, like a secure webite (https, online banking etc). I think Giga-News is the only service that offers this but I may be wrong on that one

typically you need a username and password to connect unless its an ISP based service where they do it on IP address.
Old 16 November 2007, 04:29 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

cheers guys some interesting reading will have a play tonight
Old 16 November 2007, 05:04 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

the VERY best software for binary newsgroup downloads is:

NewsLeecher :: Download binaries from the usenet with ease

It's just fantastic. I use it in conjunction with a monthly unlimited download subscription service ($14.95 per month) from:

Newshosting.com :: Your source for Premium Usenet Newsgroup Access with the highest Retention and Completion

Easynews is $9.95 or summut for 20GB... I can do that in a day or two from Newshosting, and for regular or large downloads the $19.95 unlimited service is great. A maximum of 8 concurrent connections means that I usually max out my 20Mb VM cable connection...

With Newsleecher - BUY IT - but purchase the SUPER SEARCH service. It's fantastic, and makes downloading anything very very easy and quick indeed.

I can easily find just about anything that's out there, in a matter of seconds and have it downloaded, parity checked, etc. and uncompressed within moments - all with just a click or two in Newsleecher... it does the lot.

Try Newsleecher - you won't regret it...

DN
Old 16 November 2007, 07:27 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
I'm not unhappy to share, but I don't want to leave my PC on all the time either so other people can leech off me. I also don't want to keep loads of stuff that I don't need or want just to keep my score up.

However, like you say, each to their own!

Geezer