Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

SONY cut PS3 Price Again ...

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2007, 11:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up SONY cut PS3 Price Again ...

SONY has cut the cost of its PlayStation 3 console by £125 just six months after launch.

A new slim PS3 will cost £299 - but, it is NOT now backward compatable with PS2 games.
Old 08 October 2007, 07:47 AM
SD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pete,

Just to give the full story. The unit is exactly the same size as the 60/80GB models. The differences are:

40GB hard drive
No PS2 backward compatibility
Only 2 USB ports
No memory card reader.

Just to give the full story.

Simon
Old 08 October 2007, 08:15 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

oh dear, theres going to be some unhappy PS3 owners at the news of this cut.

Another £50 off and Im tempted
Old 08 October 2007, 08:57 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm guessing it will be bundled with 4 games for the Xmas market

It's starting to make financial sense ....... nearly
Old 08 October 2007, 09:00 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Don't like the 'not backward compatible bit'
Old 08 October 2007, 09:06 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

When I bought the PS2, I thought that it was GREAT it could play all my old PS1 games.

Did I EVER play one single PS1 game on the PS2??

Nah, I never did and have no intention of doing either ...... truth is, the 'OLD' stuff looks cack in comparison to the new.
Old 08 October 2007, 09:43 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

They've taken the PS2 hardware out. However, I've heard it can still emulate the 'emotion engine' in software so in theory it can still play PS2 titles.

Which ones, and how well (fast) is anyone's guess though. But as lewis says - why would you want to?

Trending Topics

Old 08 October 2007, 09:44 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
They've taken the PS2 hardware out. However, I've heard it can still emulate the 'emotion engine' in software so in theory it can still play PS2 titles.

Which ones, and how well (fast) is anyone's guess though. But as lewis says - why would you want to?
Best check your facts on this one. No software emulation for the PS2 will be included in this model. PS1 titles will play but why you'd want to I'm not sure.
Old 08 October 2007, 09:55 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Best check your facts on this one.
It's all a bit vague I must admit. I might be able to find out more tomorrow as I'm starting a consultancy with SCEE developing PS3 tools.
Old 08 October 2007, 10:07 AM
blockmonke@fsmail.net
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
When I bought the PS2, I thought that it was GREAT it could play all my old PS1 games.

Did I EVER play one single PS1 game on the PS2??

Nah, I never did and have no intention of doing either ...... truth is, the 'OLD' stuff looks cack in comparison to the new.
Me either I might have played the final fantasy games a couple of times but that was it. If you buy a ps3 to play ps1 games you need your head examining
Old 08 October 2007, 10:09 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I'll stick with my N64
Old 08 October 2007, 10:29 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

The regular full fat PS3 is now £349 isnt it?

You be neeing those extra 20gigs for all the 1080p content in the store...
Old 08 October 2007, 07:27 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

truth is, the 'OLD' stuff looks cack in comparison to the new.
For you prehaps....

I still have plenty of PS1 games that i play, and are still addictive... kerushi & vib ribbon, spring to mind. There are also plenty of kids PS1 titles that my little one plays regularly. Whats the need for two units, when one will suffice?

Given that backwards compatibility was one of the core values that Sony built its PS1/2-3? campaign around, and lets not forget WAS given to the USA & Asia market in the correct form (the emotion engine chip). It comes as a bit of a smack in the face to be told that Europe would get LIMITED backwards compatibility via software emulation. And that was with a console that was delayed by 6 months....

If backwards compatibility isn't the be all and end all, and not worth it in your opinion, then perhaps you would care to explain why the PS2 is selling the same amount as before / if not more than the PS3? according to official data supplied?

Sony could have carried on the bloodline, and ceased production of the PS2, knowing that sales would have continued with consumers still buying PS2 software to play on the PS3, and also taken advantage of the PS3's capability's.

Mart
Old 08 October 2007, 10:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Interesting point of view.

I have been thinking about why the PS2 is still selling so well ......... I think it is because it is so cheap, the games are so cheap and it delivers pretty impressive performance £ for £.

I'll not buy a PS3 yet - I have PS2 games I haven't touched yet ..... my PS2 also has the LCD Screen attached and runs on 12V DC - making it pretty portable.

The PSP seems to have died a death .... very cheap secondhand and the games are now in the discount bin?
Old 08 October 2007, 10:44 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Interesting point of view.

I have been thinking about why the PS2 is still selling so well ......... I think it is because it is so cheap, the games are so cheap and it delivers pretty impressive performance £ for £.

I'll not buy a PS3 yet - I have PS2 games I haven't touched yet ..... my PS2 also has the LCD Screen attached and runs on 12V DC - making it pretty portable.

The PSP seems to have died a death .... very cheap secondhand and the games are now in the discount bin?
Agreed I / we have a PS2 / 360 elite & a Wii, there is also a gamecube upstairs, along with other consoles/ computers.

All have games that are unique, but offer playability that hasn't been repeated on the next generation of machine (figure that one out )

Ditto, i have several PS2 games that are untouched, some will get played, some i have to admit were impulse purchases, that perhaps will not get touched..

Is / has the current trend for the immersive experiance / game part of the problem? Its nice to have a game whereby you can load up, play a few levels / round, and then save it for a rainy day.

The trend now is small amounts of game play, coupled with hours of cut scenes and video, ok at first, but soon becomes tedious

Jury,s out on the PS3 at my place, currently its not liable to get a look in. Ps4? perhaps?

mart