Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sony PS3 vs. GameCube sales

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2007, 04:59 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sony PS3 vs. GameCube sales

First 10 months sales, comparison...

PS3 sold 1,742,000 units in its first 10 months of availability compared with 2,120,000 GameCube units These figures are based on units SOLD in the North American marketplace.

So much for your "brand loyalty" and your installed global user base for PS2 in excess of 100 million

Last edited by spectrum48k; 03 October 2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03 October 2007, 05:45 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

hehe love it
Old 03 October 2007, 08:34 PM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5-Black
hehe love it
Loving the relaibilty of the PS3 and the lack of screaming American teenagers online.

Cranked the 360 up for the first time in 102 days, bought FIFA and Halo. Tried for ages to get a copy of FIFA for the PS3 but sold out in all 5 shops, i eventually settled for a copy for the 360.

Dirt for the PS3 is better than the 360 version due to its DFP compliance
Old 03 October 2007, 09:10 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

What's "DFP" compliance ?
Old 03 October 2007, 10:06 PM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
What's "DFP" compliance ?
Sorry, DFP stands for Driving Force Pro

The PS3 version also supports the G25 wheel as well
Old 04 October 2007, 06:23 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Awesomepossum
Loving the relaibilty of the PS3 and the lack of screaming American teenagers online.

Cranked the 360 up for the first time in 102 days, bought FIFA and Halo. Tried for ages to get a copy of FIFA for the PS3 but sold out in all 5 shops, i eventually settled for a copy for the 360.

Dirt for the PS3 is better than the 360 version due to its DFP compliance

Reliability of my two 360's have been prefect. Launch day premium and recent Elite never had a stutter.

PS3 online ? no american teenagers because they haven't sold more than a bakers dozen all year. you really think when you have 10mil consoles out there the online community will be better spoken ?
(I never play with yank kids because I have a good friends list )

and Dirt is kak on doth consoles with or without a wheel !
Old 04 October 2007, 08:53 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Comparisons between GC and PS3 are pointless - GC sunk because it had no thirdparty support when it really needed it - This isn't the case with PS3.

It''s a fantastic machine, just as 360 is. Haven't got one? You're missing out. I pity you, foo's.
Old 04 October 2007, 09:35 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
It''s a fantastic machine, just as 360 is. Haven't got one? You're missing out. I pity you, foo's.
I'm sure it is. But, what exactly are the 360 owners missing out on? I'm struggling to see anything at the moment
Old 04 October 2007, 09:49 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

only reason I don't have a PS3 is I still think it's an expensive bluray trojan horse.

If I want a bluray player then it would be an option but I don't so no need to buy one.
Old 04 October 2007, 10:03 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

The PS3 is a more all-round capable machine but it's just severly lacking to 2 major areas - a decent games catalogue (games that haven't already appeared elsewhere) and online functionality which is shocking compared to Live.

Make that 3 - I absolutely can't stand the Sixaxis, too light and awkward button placement, and the "triggers" are a complete joke IMHO.

On the upside - I think the price tag is worth it for Blu-Ray alone. The PS3 will come good eventually but it needs to be sooner rather than later.
Old 04 October 2007, 11:28 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
The PS3 is a more all-round capable machine
Would you like to elaborate ? I have neither, so I'm interested in your evaluation.
Old 04 October 2007, 11:35 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

On the PS3, can you do a slideshow of photos / video / music streamed over the network from a media sharing (media center) pc yet?
Old 04 October 2007, 11:38 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Iain Young
On the PS3, can you do a slideshow of photos / video / music streamed over the network from a media sharing (media center) pc yet?

That was added with the 1.80 firmware wasn't it?

PS3 1.8 firmware streams music, photos, and video from Vista | HCW Tech Blog
Old 04 October 2007, 11:43 AM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5-Black

Reliability of my two 360's have been prefect. Launch day premium and recent Elite never had a stutter.

PS3 online ? no american teenagers because they haven't sold more than a bakers dozen all year. you really think when you have 10mil consoles out there the online community will be better spoken ?
(I never play with yank kids because I have a good friends list )

and Dirt is kak on doth consoles with or without a wheel !
My launch day Premium is also still fine to this day but everytime i switch it on i fear the "Ring of death" or some other hardware failure. This is going by the percentage of 360 failures against percentage of ps3 hardware failures

The Microshaft wheel feels like weak and poorly made compared with the Logitech range of wheels, yes range of wheels. You get a choice of wheels with Sony as opposed to Microshaft like it or lump it philosophy

Have you played Dirt on PS3, Loads quicker than the 360, whisper quiet when loading and the Logitech wheel gives a better feel of available grip than the kack Microshaft wheel on the 360

Sorry but the only drawback of the PS3 is the shockingly poor line up of games but in time this problem will rectify itself. Enjoy your Sceaming American Teenagars as i play online with a slightly more grown up crowd, good thing about the high cost of the PS3, it put off the Burberry Brigade and they went for the cheaper under developed with limitations on storage capacity 3 bloody 60 Core

I even prefer Resistance Fall of Man to the tripe which is Halo3

Thank you

Anyway rFactor on the PC is better than anything any console will ever through out driving wise
Old 04 October 2007, 11:47 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Got both 360 & PS3.

Both machines are very good but flawed in some areas. The PS3's problems are mainly software related, be it either lack of decent game catalogue or functionality - the 360's problems are mainly hardware, I know RB5 has said he's had no problems with machine but I'd say he's been very fortunate and is in the minority (the jammy git!) I'm onto my 3rd 360 and there are other that will probably call me jammy...

A HD telly is an absolute must for a PS3, personally I'd say you can get away with a regular tv on a 360 (I did for almost a year) but the PS3 seems to revolve around HD content & blu-ray as I'd say its more media-oriented - the 360 is the much more gaming focused. I didnt buy a PS3 for games, it was more for blu-ray as most of the PS3's current gaming lineup was already out on 360, Motorstorm & Resistance are both decent titles but I much prefer playing online these days and PS3 doesnt make things easy, online seems to be have been a bit of an afterthought. The online experience is totally embedded into the 360 and Sony have a lot of catching up to do, fortunately firmware updates are happening monthly.

In footballing terms you'd probably call the PS3 a sleeping giant - its got huge potential, it just needs unleashing - if they sort out the online stuff, get some AAA titles out (GT5, MGS4 & Killzone 2 can't come soon enough) then it'll start to take off, it doesnt seem to suffer any of the 360 hardware problems so there's nothing major holding it back apart from a good selection of games...
Old 04 October 2007, 11:48 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

yes.
Old 04 October 2007, 11:51 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Comparisons between GC and PS3 are pointless - GC sunk because it had no thirdparty support when it really needed it - This isn't the case with PS3.
You're right, in the main, this generally ISN'T the case with PS3 - which makes the figures even more of an eye-opener

Saying that, CAPCOM, a 3rd party developer, have only just announced proper support for PS3 recently. And a lot of others have delayed their products citing 'technical issues' which could possibly be interpreted as a veiled attempt to hold back their game until more PS3 units are sold!
Old 04 October 2007, 11:53 AM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

I'm sure it is. But, what exactly are the 360 owners missing out on? I'm struggling to see anything at the moment
1. Reliabilty
2. Massive storage capacity for games on the disc
3. Free online play
4. Better quality range of wheels as opposed to buying the only one available from Microsoft
5. Internet Browser that will surf for pr0n
6. You can use a Mini - USB cable to charge the wireless controller as opposed to buying the only one available from Microsoft
Old 04 October 2007, 11:59 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Got both 360 & PS3.

Both machines are very good but flawed in some areas. The PS3's problems are mainly software related, be it either lack of decent game catalogue or functionality - the 360's problems are mainly hardware, I know RB5 has said he's had no problems with machine but I'd say he's been very fortunate and is in the minority (the jammy git!) I'm onto my 3rd 360 and there are other that will probably call me jammy...

A HD telly is an absolute must for a PS3, personally I'd say you can get away with a regular tv on a 360 (I did for almost a year) but the PS3 seems to revolve around HD content & blu-ray as I'd say its more media-oriented - the 360 is the much more gaming focused. I didnt buy a PS3 for games, it was more for blu-ray as most of the PS3's current gaming lineup was already out on 360, Motorstorm & Resistance are both decent titles but I much prefer playing online these days and PS3 doesnt make things easy, online seems to be have been a bit of an afterthought. The online experience is totally embedded into the 360 and Sony have a lot of catching up to do, fortunately firmware updates are happening monthly.

In footballing terms you'd probably call the PS3 a sleeping giant - its got huge potential, it just needs unleashing - if they sort out the online stuff, get some AAA titles out (GT5, MGS4 & Killzone 2 can't come soon enough) then it'll start to take off, it doesnt seem to suffer any of the 360 hardware problems so there's nothing major holding it back apart from a good selection of games...
Ok, I understand you weighed up your pro's and cons, but I'm still not sure why you think PS3 is "more capable" From your comments did you mean you think its equally good at games and media content ?
Old 04 October 2007, 12:04 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disc space has not been an issue yet only internet scaremongering.

Online, I don't mind paying if it works well.

Internet browser, I have a pc

Charger is only £14, hardly expensive, who cares if MS get the money or some 3rd party chinese company I just want my controller charged.

Cant comment on the wheel as not tried it, as far as reliability both my 360's have been fine since launch/purchase. Maybe the ps3 will start failing when people start using them

Sony are hardly faultless with their exploding laptop batteries, lets hope they've used no components in the ps3.
Old 04 October 2007, 12:37 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
Ok, I understand you weighed up your pro's and cons, but I'm still not sure why you think PS3 is "more capable" From your comments did you mean you think its equally good at games and media content ?
I think the 360 is hitting its limits, some games have reportedly been reduced due to disc storage storage capacity (Oblivion, PGR4, Gears Of War) and some games have had reduced resolutions to compensate for other effects & frame rates - Halo 3 being the latest - technically its not in HD. Gran Turismo 5 is running at 1080p and it looks staggering, so the PS3 still has room to breathe.

Some people will tell you the processing power between the 2 is the same but all in all the PS3 has twice the power of the 360 but its yet to be expoited but launch games shouldn't be used as reference - Killzone 2 is looking very good and the gameplay video's I've seen are better than Halo 3's IMHO - whether it plays as good is another matter.
Old 04 October 2007, 01:40 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I think the 360 is hitting its limits, some games have reportedly been reduced due to disc storage storage capacity (Oblivion, PGR4, Gears Of War) and some games have had reduced resolutions to compensate for other effects & frame rates
Where is the proof of this? It's the first I've heard about frame rate problems etc because of the hardware. More likely to be dodgy code. You only have to look at the abysmal Halo2 on the PC etc to see how bad a game can look on even really good hardware. As for disc space, I'd rather have the disc filled with gameplay rather than cut-scenes (as is mostly the case with the PS3 stuff from what I've seen so far).

Gran Turismo 5 is running at 1080p and it looks staggering, so the PS3 still has room to breathe.
You mean Prologue? GT5 isn't any where near being released yet Also don't forget that the GT games are doing a lot less work in the processing department that other games, simply because their damage / ai routines are so simplistic. It leaves time for eye candy...

Some people will tell you the processing power between the 2 is the same but all in all the PS3 has twice the power of the 360 but its yet to be expoited but launch games shouldn't be used as reference - Killzone 2 is looking very good and the gameplay video's I've seen are better than Halo 3's IMHO - whether it plays as good is another matter.
Don't hold Halo3 up as an example of what the 360 can do. IMO it's a step backwards from the likes of Bioshock etc.

Processing power between the machines is in fact fairly similar, with the ps3 having a slight edge (but only slight) in the processing department, and the 360 actually having a slightly quicker gfx chip. I don't really care about that though. What I care about are games. When there are some on the PS3 worth getting then it'll be worth buying a machine. Until then I really don't see what I'm missing out on.

Don't want a blu-ray player
Got a pc for web browsing
Don't mind paying a bit for a superior online service
Hardly ever use the wheel, so the MS one will do for me
If you have the play&charge lead from MS (about £10), you can charge the controller via usb as well.

p.s. I had no idea the PS3 could be used as a media extender. If so, then that's cool

Everyone I know who has a PS3 hardly uses it, (they're gathering dust) due to the lack of games. Not a great advert is it...
Old 04 October 2007, 02:21 PM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

Through time your friends will be blowing off the dust and enjoying thier reliable machines for years to come.

Thats the bugbear i have, everything has to be purchased from MS. Wheel, Charge kit and Wireless adaptor all have to be purchased from a single maker and that just stinks of poo. Hunt about for a Recharge kit and it ranges from 15 quid at Comet to 10 quid online and for the PS3 a mini-usb costs 99p everywhere. Thats the reason i gave up on Forza, the wheel was a severe let down in comparison to the Logitech equivelent.

What does Live give you that the PS3 network does not?
Surely you are not refering to quantity over quality as i can assure you i found the play on the PS3 a tad more mature in general and remember the PS3 network seems to be offering larger rooms online. Off hand not sure what the max for a 360 is but 16 seems to be the general rule of thumb, hhhhmmmm 40 on Resistance and running very smoothly indeed for free. Machine pays for itself in ten years (chortle).

Played FIFA on the 360 last night after watching the mighty Glasgow Celtic whip Milan. First game was ace, some French guy but at least he played his local team of Marseille. 1-0 to me after a good close game. Pleased as punch and picked another game, English youth who immediatley changes his team from Aston Villa to Man Utd, ok fair enough i thought, feeling confident after the last game. The short erse passed the ball round me as if i was not even on the park, 5-0 to him. Next up some Cheese eating, onion wearing surrender monkey who immediatley changes from Leharve to Chelsea. First five minutes i am getting the same chasing shadows kind of feeling and then Drogba scores from a rebound, i get the full replay from every angle with the ****head explaining the virtues of the chosen one called Drogba. Machine switched off in man of 34yo huff, the controller got it bad...real bad.

I just want to play online with players using similer controls methods and no training aids. Thats why i left Forza for rFactor, everyone on rFactor was singing from the same hymn sheet and you could choose what server to join according to what assists were allowed, plus the incar view swung it for me and the lack of "Wreckers" in general online was a bonus

Cheers all and see you on Live/PS3 soon.
Old 04 October 2007, 02:26 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I'm one of the PS3 owners who hardly uses it - for games at least, my BR collection is growing though and upscaling regular DVD's is pretty good. Pity that Transformers has been pulled from BR as the 1080p trailer on the Store is seriously impressive stuff.

Halo 3 has been rumbled as running at 640p - when Bungie have pulled up about it they say that it uses 2 buffers so we're actually getting 1280p... (yeah, whatever)

Agree that Halo 3 should not be used as showing off what graphics the 360 is capable of - much better to use Gears or BioShock - I've already posted in the review thread that I think Halo 3 looks like Perfect Dark Zero...didn't think it was anything special to begin with but its starting to grow on me.

I knew you'd start nit-picking about GT5/Prologue or whatever it is - but whatever its name is the demo is very good looking indeed.
Old 04 October 2007, 02:46 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After paying £4-500 for a ps3 why argue about paying £1-15 for a charger.

As for transformers Messiah, i think you had a lucky escape, the movie was dreadful , some nice cgi tho.
Old 04 October 2007, 03:10 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

lol - I enjoyed it, has good potential to be a demo disc whatever you think of the content - and yeah, good CGI, FX seem to have gone up a notch in the last year and ILM look like they're showing some of the new kids who's the daddy.

I've always been a Sony fan and beleived that by the time this generation of machines comes to an end then Sony would be back out in front, but the more time I spend with the 360 the more I'm convinced that Sony have left it too late.

Awesomepossum, do you not think that the PS3's audience is more mature down to the cost of the PS3 and that if any parents were going to be buying their kids one then it would be at Christmas, and its not had one yet in this country. You always get good and bad people online whatever the console. I can't really comment on which console has a better friends list, I've only got 1 on the PS3, but 77 on the 360...
Old 04 October 2007, 03:11 PM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
After paying £4-500 for a ps3 why argue about paying £1-15 for a charger.

As for transformers Messiah, i think you had a lucky escape, the movie was dreadful , some nice cgi tho.
I paid the 15 for the charge kit....lights flash away to tell me the battery is dyeing and i cant bloody find the cable to plug it in.........Similer situ on the PS3........aahhhh use any old generic mini usb, think it was from my mini dv, and hey i am back in business.....no stress incurred by losing official PS3 charge kit as opposed to i need to find that specific charger for the 360 or i need to go buy another 15 quid charge kit from Comet........happy with the PS3 way of thinkin.......unhappy at Microsoft's you must buy ours philosophy......and with my scatterbrained nature i can foresee me buying one or two more "Microshaft Charge Kits" over the course of machine's lifespan. Now i just use the wired 360 controller and keep an eye on the dog in case he pulls the thing apart whilst going about his daily dog routine of thinking me sitting on chair playing console is a good time for a clap......no patch it is not you damn animal.

Agreed Transformers story is cat krap but damn good eye candy
Old 04 October 2007, 03:24 PM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

.Awesomepossum, do you not think that the PS3's audience is more mature down to the cost of the PS3 and that if any parents were going to be buying their kids one then it would be at Christmas, and its not had one yet in this country. You always get good and bad people online whatever the console. I can't really comment on which console has a better friends list, I've only got 1 on the PS3, but 77 on the 360...
Agree wholeheartedly about the cost being the issue and its post Xmas release being a factor. At the moment this 34yo is enjoying the sanctity of the PS3 network but after xmas i know this is going to change once the machine becomes more widespread. Same here about 12 on my PS3 list and 80 odd on 360 but they are friends, stress free combatents that like similer type of play .

I share my time equally between the 2 consoles and after a session online with random public players i feel i come off the PS3 less stressed. Only so many times you can take "You sound like Wullie the Janitor from the Simpsons.....teehee" and "Oh dont you know i am the King of England" line of converstion.

My greatest ever console moments have been with Friends in closed rooms on Forza and RB6 Vegas both on 360. Publically i prefer the PS3 network for reasons i have previously explained.

Why has the PS3 got the greater player capacity online than the 360?

Sorry must go now as i only have 4 days gaming time left solid before i return to work...........................

Last edited by Awesomepossum; 04 October 2007 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spellllin
Old 04 October 2007, 03:29 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I think Sony are putting a lot of effort in to try and trump Live which is maybe why the lobbies are bigger. I know from personal experience that the way some 360 games operate online can be painful - I've spent loads of hours in GRAW but was only able to support 4 or 5 players when the lobby capacity was 16.

I know Home is supposed to be the next big thing for PS3, but what I've seen of it, doesnt really seem to offer much.
Old 04 October 2007, 04:11 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Awesomepossum
...and the lack of screaming American teenagers online.
Why do you think the PS network won't suffer from these "screaming kids"? Do Sony vet every member before allowing them to join?

Quick Reply: Sony PS3 vs. GameCube sales