Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

raise a glass to a fallen gaming comrade

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2002, 11:02 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Over the last few years i've wasted many an hour in the playing fields behind tottenham court road, and it saddens me to say they have gone into liquidation.

gutted.

full email below :-

Some of you may have noticed the recent post on our website. Yes, it is true, as of 1pm today The Playing Fields was placed in the hands of the liquidators and on 29th January 2002 will no longer exist. We started out in April 1997 with a vision of helping to push multiplayer computer gaming into the mainstream. After four and a half years of hard graft we have finally run out of money and so can no longer carry on. History will tell whether we made a difference.

To all our customers, members and friends thank you for all your support over the past few years and thank you for the memories. But most of all thank you to our staff. We have been blessed with some of the best, most loyal, most dedicated staff that you can find. We are only sorry that we couldn't find the finance to build on their efforts.

We have always enjoyed making people happy through our own brand of entertainment. It's been a roller coaster ride, but it has always been fun and rewarding. We will be here with the liquidators tomorrow, but after that I think a short break might be in order. If you are interested we are holding a wake at the Prince of Wales Feathers in Warren St from 5pm tommorrow which you are most welcome to come to.

Thank you for all the messages and condolences that have already arrived. They are much appreciated. Please do not feel offended if we do not manage to reply to all of them.

Best wishes
Edward and Charles
The Playing Fields

PS. Please can all members cancel their membership with their bank as soon as possible.
Old 09 January 2002, 01:50 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Sad indeed.
Old 09 January 2002, 08:24 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

what did they do?
Old 09 January 2002, 10:52 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

they were a bar that had about 13 or so networked pc's where you could go in with some mates and play all sorts against them.
Old 10 January 2002, 09:46 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Unhappy

Yes m8, that is gutting of the highest order

Aaaah fond memories of drinking Red Bull to ridiculous hours of the morning, smoking too many **** and generally getting a severe whipping at UT lol!!

Alas the world will now be a worse place, denying us all nighters at UT once more BOOOOO!
Old 10 January 2002, 09:58 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

And such classic memories such as a rather camp sounding chap telling Steve Lawson he was 'after his ****' because Steve killed him.

I damn near wet myself laughing at that one
Old 10 January 2002, 11:14 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Hahaha, "And its not the first time i've been after someones ***!!!" I beleive his comments were!!! lmfao!! I was facing him at the time, nearly choked on Red Bull and smoke combination, just remember giggling like a fool when he said that!!!

And there I was talking to Tango last nite about doing another all nighter