Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Best plug-in wireless range extenders ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2007, 11:24 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best plug-in wireless range extenders ?

I need to extend the range on my wireless router (big house, thick walls etc) and have decided on those plug-in type range extenders - so I can plug/unplug as needed.

Its a Netgear Wireless RangeMax Router and wanted people's opinions on the best plug in extenders - as there seems to be loads out there.

Cheers.
Old 24 September 2007, 02:48 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Option 1
Buy another identical router and locate it within wireless range of the first.

Option 2 (preferred)
Use a pair of Devolo plugs - uses your house's electricity supply to carry a network signal around your home. And they work - WELL.
Homeplugs
Old 24 September 2007, 02:51 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Yeh I have heard the name Devolo a lot recently - quite expensive but if they do a great job happy to pay.
Old 24 September 2007, 03:00 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
Yeh I have heard the name Devolo a lot recently - quite expensive but if they do a great job happy to pay.
If you can use one, your ALWAYS better off with a WIRED connection hence the Devolo's. I've been using them for months now without problems.

Your existing router will be running at 100Mbps so make sure you get something of similar speed from Devolo. Even though your broadband runs at a fraction of that speed, you'll utilise the full(ish) brandwidth of 100Mbps when passing files around your LAN, etc...
Old 24 September 2007, 03:13 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

i was looking at these at the weekend but can't decide which one's
Old 24 September 2007, 03:15 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Welcome to devolo

Second from bottom looks like the highest bps they do (85)

Would I just need one ?

I run a home PC (wired to router so fine) but the purpose of this is to get my laptop picking up a decent signal (which it doesn't at the moment)

At the moment the laptop links to the wireless router via a USB wireless adaptor plugged into the USB port - weak signal in most parts of the house.

Would this plug in Dovolo be OK to improve the signal going to my laptop from the router via the USB adaptor?
Old 24 September 2007, 03:30 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Ah, your using it with a laptop.

The Devlolo plugs into any electrical socket around the house - think of it as a long network cable from any room in the house back to your router. IF you move around the house with your laptop, you'd need to unplug it from one room and plug it into the next room, so its no good if you're wondering around.

If however you always work in one place with your laptop, then its ideal. You wouldn't bother at all with your existing USB wireless adapter in your laptop - you'd just plug a network cable into your laptop's network socket (check it has one) and plug the other end of the cable into the Devolo.
dLAN Highspeed Starter Kit

If you DO wonder around the house with your laptop, your better off with a wireless connection, and use Option 1 from my post above.

Added: Better link here:
Devolo 1154 at PC World - Buy cheap Powerline Home Networking - Devolo 1154 Homeplug High Speed Starter Kit

Incidentally, for the ultimate way of extending your wireless range in your house you could use a combination of the Devolo's AND another wireless router! eg. if your upstairs had poor wireless, plug the Devolo in upstairs and plug the 2nd wireless router into the upstairs Devolo via a network cable.

Last edited by spectrum48k; 24 September 2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 24 September 2007, 03:58 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate - yes Laptop stays in one place mostly, so Devolo looks ideal solution.

Thanks again,

Ro.
Old 24 September 2007, 04:05 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

No problem Ro, if I remember rightly, many years ago you helped me out with a fitness/training related question. Happy to help.
Old 24 September 2007, 08:39 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

i have one of these
Amazon.co.uk: Netgear DG834GT 108Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 switch: Electronics & Photo
which would be best to use with it this
NETGEAR WGXB102 at PC World - Buy cheap Powerline Home Networking - NETGEAR WGXB102 Wireless Range Extender Bundle
or this
NETGEAR HDXB101 - 100UKS at PC World - Buy cheap Powerline Home Networking - NETGEAR HDXB101 - 100UKS Powerline HD Bundle
and will they work with vista and has anyone seen them cheaper?

Last edited by farmerwrx; 24 September 2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 24 September 2007, 09:17 PM
Thunder77
Scooby Regular

I got these (dabs.com - Devolo dLAN 200 AV Starter Kit (1177)) and am really pleased with them. I have read the Netgear ones can get quite hot.
Old 24 September 2007, 10:54 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

farmer,

The first one gives you WIRELESS access - doesn't need a cable between your computer and the wall plug (computer must have wireless network adapter)

or

The 2nd one gives you a WIRED connection - needs a cable between your computer and the wall plug (computer must have a normal network adapter eg. you plug a network cable into it)

If you DON'T move your computer around much, I'd use the WIRED connection - more reliable than wireless.

Last edited by spectrum48k; 24 September 2007 at 11:04 PM.