Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dell Computer - Processor Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 01:39 PM
Rob FTM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The technical support people at Dell have been less than helpful unless you consider an automated reply to a different question than asked to be helpful but..

can I upgrade the processor in my Dell Dimension XPS T___ series computer? Its a P3 500 which is fine for most things but I'm after a bit more "go" for video editing. I'm happy with everything else DVD, CD-RW, 364 Megs memory, Firewire card, 60 Gigs of hard drives 64Megs video card but a bit of a slow processor. So can I just buy a faster processor and stick it in? Or is there much more to it than that - if so, what? How much does, say, a 1Gig P3 processor cost anyhow?

Thanks to all you experts out there!

Rob.
Old 07 January 2002, 02:05 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

I reckon you'll be able to go up to a PII 800 on your system board..you want to look at increasing the memory though you want at least 1Gb for video work, stick in as much as the system will take. You may be lucky to find a new 800 chip now, look on the 2nd hand market, or computer fairs.
I expect youre cpu is a slot 1, most chips will probably be the fcpga type, but u can get adaptors..

John
Old 07 January 2002, 03:57 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Cool

Rob,
Be very careful upgrading the Dell. Technically the motherboard will be able to support a faster speed. But in the case of Dell they don't always provided jumpers to the max speed.

Look on the motherboard, by an edge there should be some jumpers in a row with numbers next to it. Yours should have a jumper on 500. The biggest number there is the fastest you can go without messing about.

Hope this helps your quest for speeeeeeeed

H