Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Graphics card dying & can i use

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2007, 05:43 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graphics card dying & can i use

looks my Gr card is dying, the screen goes black and the monitor keeps going into standby every couple of mins ..requiring a restart..

if i buy a new pc (sata) is there anyway i can use my ide drives with it? lots of movies and stuff on them

Mart
Old 28 August 2007, 07:59 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

it looks like its the card.... had a bsod pointing to the hardware...

ive knocked the bitplane setting down and its running again, but for how long i dont know...

mind you the charred section of the mobo near the front usb ports possibly accounts for the burning smell

anyone got an agp graphics card thats obsolete?

mart
Old 28 August 2007, 10:42 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

my cctv machine at work has just killed its GFX card and i had a look under my bed, found a 32mb geforce 2 mx200 with no fan

i think its agpx4 only? (no idea where it even came from )
how i was surprised when it not only worked but it worked fine with two x 4 channel DVR cards installed in the machine (running 8 cameras)

all this technology and no fan
Old 29 August 2007, 12:39 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

It was only last year when I stopped using my Pheonix Voodoo Banshee (pci) card...Although recently I dumped it in my current system when I fancied tring out a 3 montior video wall and was short of a graphics card

It worked! and seeimingly better than the poxy pile of rubbish that is my 7600GS which won't play HD video properly

Anyhoo, you can get SATA mobos with EIDE interfaces, mine has 4 SATAs and 3 IDE channels (so thats 6 IDE drives ).

Which is fine apart from the HDs I connected to the interfaces controlled by the ITE8211F interface chip threw a hissy fit every 10mins. Not tried them since I changed the OS so fingers crossed

For that I DO NOT reccomend a Asus P5LD2, which has to be the most unstable motherboard I have ever owned...thats ignoring the catostrophic RAM chip failure that wrecked my original OS install and the gfx glitches

Rant off.
Old 29 August 2007, 07:49 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mart360
it looks like its the card.... had a bsod pointing to the hardware...

It doesn't necessarily follow - BSODs are often RAM , and sometime software.

As for the motherboard, all current ones have at least one IDE port (i.e. two IDE devices) but many ONLY have one.

Personally I'd replace the m/b first if part of it is scorched. Mind you, that will mean a gfx replacement anyway unless you can track down a motherboard with an AGP port.

M