Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cheapest place for Norton security.

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2007, 05:07 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cheapest place for Norton security.

Who is the cheapest for and trustworthy for, Norton protection, as mine is about to expire. I would prefer to download it, unless i could get it cheaper in a shop etc..
Old 27 August 2007, 06:52 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can I give you my 2 pence worth (well I'm going to anyway )?

you'd be far better off with Kaspersky Internet security if it's a security package that you are after

Kaspersky Internet Security free trial download

Old 27 August 2007, 07:07 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

£0.00 from rapidshare
Old 27 August 2007, 07:08 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VoteConservative!
£0.00 from rapidshare
Old 27 August 2007, 07:12 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

The best place for Norton is in the Bin.

Get anything else - AVG/Avast/Kapersky etc.
Old 27 August 2007, 07:32 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Norton is horrible software. Use NOD32 for AV, ZoneAlarm for firewall. If you only have one machine then the freeware version of ZA is fine.

M
Old 27 August 2007, 10:14 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Yep, Norton's Sh!te it will bring your PC to a standstill.

I would also recommend Kaspersky Internet Security, I got it a few months back now. You can get a 3 user license version (handy if you have more than one PC) for £29.99.

Once installed you hardly even know it's there.
Old 28 August 2007, 12:02 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
Who is the cheapest for and trustworthy for, Norton protection, as mine is about to expire. I would prefer to download it, unless i could get it cheaper in a shop etc..
I wouldnt entertain it Paul; and Id used Symantec products for ten years. I use NOD32 now: it uses a fraction of the rescources and technically it seems to be head and shoulders above anything else.

Its available as a free demo too.

Simon
Old 28 August 2007, 01:32 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Ditto the torrent option, but even then I wouldn't touch it with a brage pole!

£0.00 is far too expensive for Norton, you're better off with a virus than installing that.

Google Nod32 - try it for free for 30 days.
Old 28 August 2007, 02:01 PM
staffs Mike
Scooby Regular

Lol I was going to say someone else's bin but got beaten.

Kaspersky is the best package.

I got The 3 user license internet security from amazon for £15 a few months back.

NOD32 is the best anti virus by far but no firewall which put me off due to its price.
Old 28 August 2007, 08:01 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Another vote for the bin...

NOD32 user here also and Windows firewall.... unless you go to some really dodgy sites (and I include P2P here...) and / or get loads of spam, then the above is more than adequate....
Old 28 August 2007, 09:36 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1210
can I give you my 2 pence worth (well I'm going to anyway )?

you'd be far better off with Kaspersky Internet security if it's a security package that you are after

Kaspersky Internet Security free trial download

Did it earlier today, thanks chaps
Old 28 August 2007, 09:50 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Anyone remember the thread on here a short while back regards antivirus softwares was in relation to a pc magazine multi review off different av packages ??

interestingly enough one off the free ones came pretty well near the top off the list.

buy yep sure you wont regrett getting shot off Norton, could not belive how slow it made my dads pc when he installed it, have now managed to convert him to another happy Nod32 user !!

if anyone does remember the link please do post the link back up, possibly pc pro magazine ??
Old 28 August 2007, 09:51 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

PC Pro: Product Reviews: Labs: Antivirus software

Found it !!

Funny enough they dont seem to rate Nod32 too well and it actually comes well behind Norton ??!!

would have said it was a fix but surely not from such a respected computer magazine ??!!

from my own online research it would appear that its kaspersky that is normally rated as best followed by Nod32 then comes the rest.

Last edited by jono300; 28 August 2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 28 August 2007, 11:08 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

I do forensic work and regularly use AVG Free (alongside several other AV & Malware packages) as I've seen it detect stuff others have missed. This includes Platinum Enterprise installs.

These AV tests are very dependent upon the way it's been set up, the Virus / worms being detected, the systems it's being run on and the OS config. I've seen many independent tests of many packages and would say each reviewer has come up with a differing list every time.

I would never trust one package to the job. We have layers of AV on servers and desktops at my work to ensure we get a decent level of protection.

But for home use, you could pick one from the top 10 and you'd get something very reasonable that will protect you most of the time.. but not guaranteed all of the time.... The amount of NOD users here reflect what's being mentioned in the industry, with Norman AV coming up real fast as a great contender (not even mentioned on that list alongside Bitdefender and others).

My comment would be to listen to the positives here, try some of the free samples on that list and use that alongside the various other summaries to choose a product that suits your system and personal tastes..
Old 29 August 2007, 12:18 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I USED to reccomend Kaspersky, but the software has gone a bit bloaty and the engine was starting to hog system resources (its used on 256meg PIII 1gig machines with XP, so that's very important to us as they ended up grinding to a halt when scanning).

They also didn't pull their finger out with sorting X64 OS compatible software, so when some system were renewed (we still had valid licenses for their business workstation AV ) they told us to use the home edition, but our license keys wouldn't work with it, and when asked we we told we had to upgrade at extra cost when the new version was released....even though there was 5months of subscription left

To put that into perspective Norton was orginally the OE antivirus, that was awful from day one - bloated, resource hungry and unstable and thus binned very quickly. Also used McAfee on another system and it let through some nasty viruses with up to date definitions, plus it was almost as resource hungry, bloaty and as slow as Norton.

Consequently now swtiched to NOD32 and thus far:

Its cheaper (we have a 2 year 10 computer site license...works out at a tad over £10 per computer per year )

The software isn't bloaty (i.e no fancy interface, or thingamgigs you never use)

And most importantly it doesn't hog too many resources, so even the lowely PIIIs with 256meg are still useable whilst scanning.
Old 29 August 2007, 12:32 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan C
I do forensic work and regularly use AVG Free
I wouldn't recommend that at all. I've had a nightmare of a job at times trying to rescue machines that had been infected with stuff because AVG had missed it completely...

I've tried most of the available various offerings out there, (Norton, avg, mcafee, kapersky and Panda etc) and Nod32 has been the best by a large margin. That's what I use now
Old 29 August 2007, 08:11 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

I use Nod32, but If I wanted a security suite Kaspersky would be my choice, Nod's security suite is in beta 2 at the moment IIRC
Old 29 August 2007, 08:22 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

How do you stop the annoying "I've updated" messages in NOD32?
Old 29 August 2007, 08:24 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Annoying confirm box when update [Archive] - Wilders Security Forums

check it
Old 31 August 2007, 03:41 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I wouldn't recommend that at all. I've had a nightmare of a job at times trying to rescue machines that had been infected with stuff because AVG had missed it completely...

I've tried most of the available various offerings out there, (Norton, avg, mcafee, kapersky and Panda etc) and Nod32 has been the best by a large margin. That's what I use now
Iain. You missed the whole sentence mate.

Originally Posted by Alan C
I do forensic work and regularly use AVG Free (alongside several other AV & Malware packages) as I've seen it detect stuff others have missed.
We use a host of stuff, but my comment was around the fact that AVG has found stuff the others missed.... I wouldn't recommend using any single product to protect an Enterprise or sensitive data..