Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

outlook help required

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2007, 03:20 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outlook help required

Hi ,

For some reason most of my emails are being sent to people spam box?

Any one know why this is doing it and how to fix it?

many thanks chris
Old 27 August 2007, 08:20 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Not sure what version you're using... and I'm assuming you're not using an exchange server of any description (work etc,...) but you could try this for starters:

On the Tools menu, click Options
On the Preferences tab, under E-mail, click Junk E-mail.
Make sure you're not defaulting to the safe list option with no actual safe list.... the options are:

No protection - Although this turns off the automatic Junk E-mail Filter, Microsoft Office (Outlook 2003>) will continue to evaluate messages by using domain names and e-mail addresses on your Blocked Senders List, and messages will continue to be moved to your Junk E-mail folder.

Low - If you don't receive many junk e-mail messages and want to see all but the most obvious junk messages, you should select this option.

High - If you receive a large volume of junk e-mail messages, you should select this option. However, you should periodically review the messages. , because some wanted messages may be moved there as well.

Safe Lists Only -Any e-mail messages sent from someone not on your Safe Senders List or sent to a mailing list not on the Safe Recipients List will be treated as junk e-mail messages.

Otherwise, check that your not using a Firewall with an aggressive spam filter. Some FW's integrate themselves with your email client and do the Junk / Anti spam stuff for you....
Old 27 August 2007, 09:31 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Hi ,

thanks for your help . They are not going to my junk folder... it;s the emails im sending that are automatically going to junk folders
Old 27 August 2007, 11:02 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Right.. sorry.. misread your post...

But the below still stands for these other people!!!

From your perspective.. are you using your ISP's mail client, work client or are you sending from a generic client like GMail or Postmaster etc? I ask because some ISP's can be blocked by aggressive filtering if they are known to send Spam or spoof...

You can send an email to this check-auth@verifier.port25.com (just use the word test in the subject and body). You should get an immediate message back telling you if your sending client is passing spf and domain key tests correctly. There is a lot of technical jargon in the reply email to let you know the technical details of your mail... But if it says you have an spf failure then that is set up incorrectly in your or your ISP client / exchange and your mail may be treated as Spam. (In a nutshell, SPF Sender Policy Framework (SPF) is an Internet attempt to control forged e-mail and if you or your client is not doing this properly it will more than likely be treated as Spam...

It quickly gets technical and veeeery boring... so, I'll leave it there until you get some responses
Old 28 August 2007, 05:41 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Hi Alan,

Thanks again!

I got a reply email saying that the SPF is neutral so I take it that is good .

Tbh im not really sure how my mail is set up . It used to be through my old website host onnetdesign but now webcreation have taken over. I told them I wanted to use the same email address and password so don't know if they have done something or not?

i'll drop them a mail

cheers chris
Old 28 August 2007, 07:55 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

As you're coming back neutral, then getting in touch with your ISP would be a good call..... There are many configuration errors that could go wrong from your PC all the way through to your friends and we could end up quoting them all on here for the next week as we whittled them down... your ISP's fault database will be a lot quicker than me!!

Please let me know if your ISP help desk sort it out...