Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Removing norton a/v ??

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2007, 11:10 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing norton a/v ??

Finally persuaded dad to change over to Nod 32 from his about to expire Norton a/v, seem to recall there is some issues with regards getting rid off Norton completely from your pc ie using uninstall alone does not get rid off everything ??

sure there was a programme designed purely with the intention off getting rid off norton completely anyone remember it ?? failing this anyone got any tips on how to get rid ??
Old 25 August 2007, 11:38 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Go to Start --> Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs.
Scroll down to your Norton program
Click Change --> Remove All.
You will be asked to restart your PC. Do so.
Now go to Start --> My Computer --> Program Files. Right click on each Symantec folder and select Delete.
While you are in Program Files go to the Common Files folder at or near the top of the Program Files window. Delete every Symantec folder there. And, again, restart your PC.
Go to Start --> Search --> All Files and Folders --> More Advanced Options. Check each option except for "Case sensitive"
Now type in Norton and delete each Norton folder from the search results (Again, right click, choose "Delete"). One more time, restart your PC.
Repeat step 5 except type Symantec in the "Search" box.
The next step is trickier: go into the Registry.

First thing to do is Back up the Registry. I'll be saying more about the Registry later. But suffice it to say that the presence of uninstalled security software in the Registry can conflict with newly installed security software and cause system freezes. So can folders of "uninstalled" programs for that matter.
Once again, go to Start, then click on "Run". Type in "regedit"
Go to the top of the Regedit window. Click (+) next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Go down the thread until you see Software. Click on Software and scroll down the thread until you see Symantec. Right click on Symantec and choose "Delete".
From there go down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and repeat step 3. Restart your PC.
Click (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, now: Click (+) next to Software, Click (+) next to Microsoft, Click (+) next to Windows and Click (+) next to CurrentVersion.
Select the Run folder. Right-click and delete each Symantec entry you see (if present). Restart your PC.
Old 25 August 2007, 11:40 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Quick google search
Old 26 August 2007, 12:10 AM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

do a google for 'Norton Remover' of visit symantec site - they have a remover there..........
Old 26 August 2007, 12:47 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by albob
do a google for 'Norton Remover' of visit symantec site - they have a remover there..........
It does not remove it completely
Old 26 August 2007, 07:04 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
Go to Start --> Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs.
Scroll down to your Norton program
Click Change --> Remove All.
You will be asked to restart your PC. Do so.
Now go to Start --> My Computer --> Program Files. Right click on each Symantec folder and select Delete.
While you are in Program Files go to the Common Files folder at or near the top of the Program Files window. Delete every Symantec folder there. And, again, restart your PC.
Go to Start --> Search --> All Files and Folders --> More Advanced Options. Check each option except for "Case sensitive"
Now type in Norton and delete each Norton folder from the search results (Again, right click, choose "Delete"). One more time, restart your PC.
Repeat step 5 except type Symantec in the "Search" box.
The next step is trickier: go into the Registry.

First thing to do is Back up the Registry. I'll be saying more about the Registry later. But suffice it to say that the presence of uninstalled security software in the Registry can conflict with newly installed security software and cause system freezes. So can folders of "uninstalled" programs for that matter.
Once again, go to Start, then click on "Run". Type in "regedit"
Go to the top of the Regedit window. Click (+) next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Go down the thread until you see Software. Click on Software and scroll down the thread until you see Symantec. Right click on Symantec and choose "Delete".
From there go down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and repeat step 3. Restart your PC.
Click (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, now: Click (+) next to Software, Click (+) next to Microsoft, Click (+) next to Windows and Click (+) next to CurrentVersion.
Select the Run folder. Right-click and delete each Symantec entry you see (if present). Restart your PC.
Thanks for that , exactly what I was after.

cheers
Old 28 August 2007, 09:29 AM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised the Norton remover(s) haven't worked, because they effectively do what Jono pointed out, with the addition that various versions (you don't mention which prog or version you have) write specific things to different areas and they aren't all tagged with Symantec... so though a manual regedit (dodgy if you don't know what you're deleting) will most likely get rid of the active processes it won't clear some of the other sub keys from the hives..

I'd finish off with a decent Reg clean up tool like WinASO or CCleaner to get rid of the other unwanted crap..

(PS.. A Norton / Symantec product will never be installed on my system again as I've also learned the hard way!!)