Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How can I get spam under control?

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2007, 12:49 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I get spam under control?

I seem to be getting more and more spam everyday and want to try and get it under control. I know a lot of people are using Mailwasher but I have multiple emails accounts coming to Outlook and would prefer for email to come straight in to outlook and sorted somehow, I dont really want to use a system like mailwasher where you choose what you want from the server.

I have had a deluge of "Ecard" junk mails over the last week and no matter how many outlook rules I set up the new ones sneak round them!

Help!
Old 17 August 2007, 02:16 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Currently I'm using Windows Mail - its Windows Vista's version of outlook express. It does a really good job in detecting spam.

Another solution might be to use gmail. Create a gmail account, and re-route all yor email to the gmail account. This way you keep your existing email addresses valid, and you let gmail do all the dirty work for you.
Old 17 August 2007, 02:19 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

As above for me, I bought a domain and route everything through Gmail as its spam filter is superb.
Old 17 August 2007, 02:20 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Something like this might be worth a look at. I use SpamSieve with OS X Mail and it works pretty well, but that's OS X only.

SpamAid might also be worth a look too.
Old 17 August 2007, 02:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I was going to comment about using Gmail, as I've heard others use that solution. My question about that is if you have multiple accounts from different domains then can you get the reply to address changed to match the original, so you get the spam filtering aspect of Gmail, plus any replies going to the address the email was originally sent to.

Also, if this is an ISP email account, have a look on the ISP's site and see what they have for spam protection, if they don't have anything, email them and ask about what they can provide to protect you from Spam. I know that Titan has something (mailshield?) on their email servers to protect me from spam, and very handy it is too.
Old 17 August 2007, 02:51 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Markus
I was going to comment about using Gmail, as I've heard others use that solution. My question about that is if you have multiple accounts from different domains then can you get the reply to address changed to match the original, so you get the spam filtering aspect of Gmail, plus any replies going to the address the email was originally sent to.
Yes, you can have multiple reply-to addresses in Gmail.
Old 17 August 2007, 09:57 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I use SpamBayes which is on old plug-in for Outlook. Once trained it's infallible.
Old 18 August 2007, 12:56 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

k9 Robin Keir's home page - Software - K9 excellent!
Old 18 August 2007, 08:48 AM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Started using SpanSieve on my Mac over a year ago and it's one of the best bits of software I have on my entire machine. Does an excellent job.

Originally Posted by Markus
Something like this might be worth a look at. I use SpamSieve with OS X Mail and it works pretty well, but that's OS X only.

SpamAid might also be worth a look too.