Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wont boot with 2nd drive installed

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2007, 12:05 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wont boot with 2nd drive installed

Hi,
Need some help please.

When i install a 2nd drive on this machine it wont boot,keeps saying boot disc failure,when i put the drive in the kids machine all is fine,both on xp and ntfs,all jumpers set right and boot in bios correct order,it seems like its trying to boot from the 2nd drive for some reason.
I have formatted it and did try to do a clean install of xp on it as well but it would not complete for some reason.
Its a hitachi 120gb drive,does anyone know of a check i can do on it if i put it in the kids to access it and go online.

Thanks for any input,thats if i get any lol
Old 15 August 2007, 01:21 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

its been a while now but when you used to use fdisk to create drives I am sure you used to flag them from within fdisk as active. This would make them bootable as well as requiring the sys hidden files on tracks 0 and 1.

If you never want to boot from the disk again you could delete the sys files from the secondary HD.

You used to be able to recreate the sys part of the disk by using a dos command of sys d: (if the second drive was d)

Like I said, havent done this for many years so could be worth a technet search.
Old 15 August 2007, 05:03 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replies,

Sorry i was not too clear on the point of putting it in the kids machine,i put it in that as a slave too and everything booted up all right and it also went it my mates to take all my data off that i needed to keep.

The drive was my master untill my daughter tried to install a game on it and it crashed and i could not get it going so put it in my mates as a slave to recover all important data then formatted it from the kids to use as a 2nd drive as theirs only had a 6gig in but need it back in mine now.

Even when i format it from the kids pc and then put it in mine as a slave it still wont boot.

I will go and do a search for the fdisk routine as well.

Cheers