Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

email probs- they have all gone ??!!!

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2007, 09:22 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default email probs- they have all gone ??!!!

Help ??!!

using windows xp, outlook express for my email just noticed last night that my inbox had been totally cleared, was well over 1000 emails within the inbox folder but again upon checking they had all gone folder was totally empty, sent emails were still there along with the deleted ones and draft folder.

checked outlook express about 30 minutes later to find my sent messages had now gone ??!!

internet connection had been fine yesterday ( wanadoo / orange ) with no other problems, did notice this morning that my email connection was timing out but this does happen from time to time with orange b/band, tried a systmn restore in the hope that the missing emails would be retrieved but still nothing, did notice that my outlook express connection ie all incomming emails came thru straight away after this restore but in saying that the pc was obviously rebooted in the restore process and this itself can sometimes get things moving quickly again !!

so okay can I get my missing emails back ?? where have they gone ??!!
Old 20 July 2007, 10:36 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Anyone any ideas on this one then ??!!
Old 21 July 2007, 12:41 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Have a look in C:\Documents & Settings\<your logon name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\ in there should be a long folder with seemingly random characters, then a folder called Microsoft\Outlook Express and in there should be a few files, one will be inbox.dbx, sent items.dbx etc etc

If you had a 1000 emails in there then the files should be a reasonable size, check the date on the files too, as this will show you by last access which is the current folder (if there are more folders with random characters)

Not sure if you can import these files, but you can copy them (the larger ones) into your current folders and overwrite the existing files, then when you open OE again they should all be there

Check first though on the dates of the files (the ones with no email in will be the newer dates)
Old 21 July 2007, 09:38 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that mate really do appreciatte your advice.

only thing I am not sure about is my windows log on name that you refer to within the above ??!! its been that long since I have had to enter a log in name for windows !!

anyway will have a go and let you know how I get on.

cheers