Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox 360 vs. PS3 comaprison (albeit a short one)

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2007, 12:13 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Xbox 360 vs. PS3 comaprison (albeit a short one)

I recently borrowed a Xbox 360 and a PS3 from a colleague (who has more moeny than sense) and had a chance to compare them, and these are my thoughts (MY thoughts, before the shouting starts! )

Looks:

PS3 a clear winner. OK, it's physically big, but black and shiny, looks like something you wouldn't mind having in your lounge, doesn't shout "I'm a games console" at you. I admit this view is slightly skewed by the fact that my TV, SKy HD and DVD player and stand are all shiny black items, so it fits in very nicely.

Dimensions:

360 has a considerably smaller footprint, so it was easier to squeeze in with my other equipment. That said, the power transformer that comes with it it HUGE, and really quite ugly. Difficult to hide. There's no way I would get away with that in the lounge from the missus! The PS3 may have this sort of stuff hidden inside, so depends on your point of view on that really........

Interface:
This really is down to personal preference, so I won't dwell too much on it. However, I though the PS3 one looked better, but I don't really go into garish colours everywhere. Nothing to choose between the two of them really.

Connectivity:
I don't want cables running all over my house, and I want to play a next gen console on the biggest, best Hi-def telly I can, so whatever console I have is in the lounge. All my other computing stuff is in the study, so wireless is the only choice for me. This puts the PS3 ahead in 2 respects, I can have it anywhere in the house for no extra cost (360 Wireless is an extra cost option), and it's simply less wires to have running around, even if I did put my router in the lounge (which will never happen, thanks to Mrs Geezer )

Controllers:
Even Stevens. I found controllers from on both systems to be as good as each other. The wireless aspect of the Sony ones was not really a bonus, as I never sit that far away, and possibly a detriment as you have to connect them to charge them, and the cable is woefully short. Ergonomically I think the 360 sits in the hand a bit better.

Noise:
Maybe it was just the one I had, but the 360 was as noisy as hell! Really quite intrusive (maybe it's about to fail), the PS3 just hummed really.

Games:
Now this is the big one isn't it? It's what you really buy one of these for. Well, the only game which was common to both systems was Oblivion Elder Scrolls IV (don't ask why he bought it for both, I don't know), and I detested that game so much I couldn't bring myself to put it on. However, for other games, I found the quality of display to be broadly similar for new games, a bit less so for the older 360 games he supplied. Now that tells me the 360 is probably close to the limits of what it will display, but the PS3 is new, and has a lot more to give. I may be wrong, as the cell is supposed to be very difficult to get the best out of, so not much more to come maybe.

The number of games for the 360 is far greater than for the PS3, but that is only a temporary state of affairs. I tried PRG3, and to be honest, if I had paid money for that, I would have wept. It is truly dismal. Guitar Heroes was a good laugh, but it's not 360 exclusive. Gears of War was superb, better than Resistance IMO. Motorstorm was very good for a first gen game, something different and entertaining.

I still have a load of games to play on them (less so for the PS3 obviously!), so I will continue to compare.

All in all, for me, the PS3 was a better package. Apart from the personal thing about how it looked and blended into where I would have it more, I felt that for the extra money, the things you got actually made it worth it. Wireless connectivity as well as wired, a Blu-Ray player and a bigger HDD.

I didn't try the online services, so I can't comment on those.

I think that when the games start to flow (and obvisouly they will) and the price drops a bit more, Sony have done it again, especially with the hardware failure debacle that MS has created.

I know I'll get flamed for all this, but like I say, they are my thoughts, and I have stated the reasons why I think them.

Enjoy your gaming!

Geezer
Old 10 July 2007, 12:21 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geezer
Now that tells me the 360 is probably close to the limits of what it will display, but the PS3 is new, and has a lot more to give. I may be wrong, as the cell is supposed to be very difficult to get the best out of, so not much more to come maybe.
Not so, next gen consoles tend to have a 5 year shelf life, you will see better and better games as time progresses, they are certainly nowhere near the limits on either console yet, just check out the pgr4 thread for the 360s latest efforts, and expect better to follow.

Doesnt the wireless adapter + 360 still work out cheaper than ps3 ? Anyways i'm not gonna argue
Old 10 July 2007, 12:37 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by **************
This is the biggest feature of the 360 which you have over looked and what makes it stand out above anything else that has come before and after it! The 360 is nothing without being online so without reviewing that you're wasting your time comparing the two.
For you maybe, but as my post points out, it's for me.

I find online gaming with consoles most dissatisfying. The action games are woeful with a conrtoller, all my FPS online gaming is, and will continue to be, on a PC.

I also find the numbers (and I'm sure this will change) available poor. Playing on a 64 slot server is eminently more enjoyable than running around looking for the scant amount of players on console based online games. The same is true of driving games, as well as driving games on PC being generally better, with better handling and truer sims.

All that notwithstanding, there is still a huge amount of people who will never take a console online.

Geezer
Old 10 July 2007, 12:38 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

you said you liked Gears of War, try that co-op or deathmatch is excellent
Old 10 July 2007, 12:48 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

I find online gaming with consoles most dissatisfying. The action games are woeful with a conrtoller, all my FPS online gaming is, and will continue to be, on a PC.
To think outside the box (no pun intended) online gaming is a big part of the 360, but not the biggest, they have an excellent marketplace with plenty of downloadable content for your offline games, plenty of playable demos to download, plenty of video content (music and movie also) and cheap addictive downloadable arcade titles and the ability to voice chat to any other 360 user whilst playing games, as well as other benefits.
Old 10 July 2007, 01:24 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

The biggest let down for me with the ps3 (I've not tried one), is the controller! Its the same as ps1!! Was ok when I was young but now I have adult hands! Its so small!

Trending Topics

Old 10 July 2007, 01:52 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by jjones
you said you liked Gears of War, try that co-op or deathmatch is excellent
Yes, as a game I thought it was excellent, but, FPS games with a gamepad are truly miserable. No where near as accurate or quick as a mouse.

Geezer
Old 10 July 2007, 01:59 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Great review Geezer

I too am edging towards the PS3 , Mainly because I want a decent Blu Ray player and the PS3 does this very well after the recent firmware updates. Also has HMDI 1.3 and decodes the latest HD sound formats , Something you would have to pay considerably more for in a stand alone player.
Plus if a decent game for the PS3 comes along well that's a bonus !

Trawling thru the AV forums across the pond the PS3 is very popular with the non gaming peeps just because of what it does on the Blu Ray front at an excellent price. Also it doesnt seem to have the reliability issue's the 360 has.

Having said all that if I were into Forza and enjoyed online gaming the 360 would be the way to go.
Old 10 July 2007, 02:09 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Nice to hear the views on the machine. At the end it's all about the games. 360 has them. PS£ doesn't. When it does then I think your points may be very valid although the Wireless option for the 360 is easily sorted and a cost saving for most people. sounds like you don't have the wireless pads either which are more the norm than not for the 360.

As mentioned though Live 'just works' for the 360 and adds so much to it and the games. Cant comment on the Ps3 in that respect.

As said before. for the next 12 months (if the console lasts) the 360 is king. The PS3 may win out after that.
Old 10 July 2007, 03:12 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Yes, as a game I thought it was excellent, but, FPS games with a gamepad are truly miserable. No where near as accurate or quick as a mouse.

Geezer
Well buy the mouse and keyboard for the 360 then
Old 10 July 2007, 03:30 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by davegtt
Well buy the mouse and keyboard for the 360 then
Well, I would, but they don't work (apparently) and the device that makes it work isn't too good I believe.

Maybe the NEXT gen of consoles and games will support that...............

Geezer
Old 10 July 2007, 03:43 PM
A'K
Scooby Regular

I was of the same frame of mind, FPS should be left to the PC but after time you get used to it with a controller, and I don't even use the PC anymore for games.
Old 10 July 2007, 03:50 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Well, I would, but they don't work (apparently) and the device that makes it work isn't too good I believe.

Maybe the NEXT gen of consoles and games will support that...............

Geezer
I use a 2quid USB keyboard just fine for any typing on the 360
Old 10 July 2007, 03:59 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by bob269
I use a 2quid USB keyboard just fine for any typing on the 360
Oh yeah, I'm happy with that, but you can't use a keyboard and mouse as a control method for the games. Even my PS one allowed to me to do that for certain games (a mouse anyway), seems a bit of a step backward.

Geezer
Old 10 July 2007, 04:12 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Surely you would have to be a bit mental to try and balance a KB/M on your lap whilst you were sat at the sofa, playing your 360. Or you play sat at a desk, which is slightly more mental.
Old 10 July 2007, 04:39 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Surely you would have to be a bit mental to try and balance a KB/M on your lap whilst you were sat at the sofa, playing your 360. Or you play sat at a desk, which is slightly more mental.
Surely the same could be said of a steering wheel, yet they work for racing games do they not?

Geezer
Old 10 July 2007, 04:47 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Surely the same could be said of a steering wheel, yet they work for racing games do they not?

Geezer
Yeah, I suppose so - To be honest I always found wheels a bit of a hassle.

Have you seen those things you sit on that have a flat surface that protrudes through yuor legs?

Amazon.co.uk: Supido Hyper Drive Portable Racing Seat: White: PC & Video Games
Old 10 July 2007, 04:50 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Have you seen those things you sit on that have a flat surface that protrudes through yuor legs?

Ooo, that looks quite good Pete! I could get away with one of those, unlike a full racing seat......

Geezer
Old 10 July 2007, 06:37 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

LMFAO
Old 10 July 2007, 06:38 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

thats quite intresting, i couldnt justify a race seat either
Old 10 July 2007, 06:47 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

PS3 wins hands down over the 360 and i've only had it a few days, whereas i had the 360 for over a year.

It's difficult to compare amount of games and online capabilities for each console though, as the 360 has got so much time on the market over the PS3.
Old 10 July 2007, 07:01 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Ooo, that looks quite good Pete! I could get away with one of those, unlike a full racing seat......

Geezer
I'm waiting for someone to actually buy one and post a review up on amazon before I buy one.

I don't mind paying to look a complete tit so long as it does the job.
Old 10 July 2007, 07:46 PM
gazza19800sti1
Scooby Regular

my xbox 360 blew up dreaded three lights , bought a ps3, better detailed games ,better looking console , only let down is std controller ( no feedback ) would not go back EVER TO 360 .
Old 10 July 2007, 07:56 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Interesting comment. What games exactly are better?
Old 10 July 2007, 08:44 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Interesting comment. What games exactly are better?
You know that's subjective, it could be asked either way!

....and never be proved or agreed.

Geezer
Old 10 July 2007, 08:53 PM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

I have a PS3 and a 360.

The PS3 gets used for movies - quiet, HDMI interface and blueray.

The 360 gets used for games - Forza and the tons of demos available on live.

Also, the update and demos on the PS3 are pants, download, then install, then restart and sometimes you have to plug the controller to finish!

PS3 is better finished and does look more modern though.

If I had to have only one.....it would be the 360....and it is one of the day one machines.

Last edited by RichardS2005; 10 July 2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10 July 2007, 09:13 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

^^ how many blueray movies do you have?
Old 10 July 2007, 09:41 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
PS3 wins hands down over the 360 and i've only had it a few days, whereas i had the 360 for over a year.

It's difficult to compare amount of games and online capabilities for each console though, as the 360 has got so much time on the market over the PS3.

I don't have a PS3 but based on what I know ie lack of games. I'd love to know how it can currently be the better games console? Isn't the point to be able to play games?

Also a controller with no rumble... I cant imagine that. Don't you miss the feedback it gives eg shooting games etc.
Old 10 July 2007, 10:19 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
I don't have a PS3 but based on what I know ie lack of games. I'd love to know how it can currently be the better games console? Isn't the point to be able to play games?

Also a controller with no rumble... I cant imagine that. Don't you miss the feedback it gives eg shooting games etc.
Well, that's surely one of things you either think or don't think, it's subjective. For me, the PS3 is btter for the reasons I have given, I accept that is not everyones view. The PS3 will have the games, it's like saying the 360 was crap a year ago because it didn't have many games. That clearly isn't so, it was good then and it is now.

As for the controller, I always switch it off, annoys the hell out of me! Yet another thing that is personal. What purpose does it serve really? Other methods of telling you what is happening work fine.

Geezer

Quick Reply: Xbox 360 vs. PS3 comaprison (albeit a short one)