Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sony gets the message - PS3 drops $100

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2007, 11:27 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sony gets the message - PS3 drops $100

In a press release issued tonight, Sony has confirmed that the 60GB PlayStation 3 has received a $100 dollar price drop, making for a retail price of $499 and is effective as of now. Taking its place at the $599 dollar price point is a new (to America anyway) 80GB model. The new model, however, will not be available in stores until this August, though no specific date was mentioned. The 80GB model will also come packed with the off-road racer, Motorstorm.
Old 09 July 2007, 11:29 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

So a £50 price drop for the UK probably?
Still wouldn't buy one yet cause there's sod all games out for it!
Old 09 July 2007, 11:41 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Sony are reportedly going to make an announcement for European prices at their E3 conference.

I expect a drop to at least £349. 80gb probably to appear in a few months time bundled with the rumble sixaxis hopefully.
Old 09 July 2007, 11:45 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

needs to be sub £300 IMHO.
Old 09 July 2007, 12:05 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
needs to be sub £300 IMHO.
Sweet spot for me is £199, but that ain't gonna happen (anytime soon)

Hopefully Sony will be learning a couple of painful lessons:

1) Don't sit back and rely on your so called BRAND LOYALTY. Complacency will get you sacked Ken!

2) Don't assume people will pay ridiculous prices for your STATE-OF-THE-ART console (with no decent games). What was it Ken Kuturago said ? "If you can't afford it, get an extra job to pay for it". Seeya Ken.

Meanwhile Nintendo rocks on...
Old 09 July 2007, 01:52 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Very true, I have been a PS owner since the very start but in the end I got sick of them delaying the games and the PS3 taking so long so have been an XBOX360 owner for quite a while now. Loving forza 2.
Old 09 July 2007, 07:25 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
Very true, I have been a PS owner since the very start but in the end I got sick of them delaying the games and the PS3 taking so long so have been an XBOX360 owner for quite a while now. Loving forza 2.
Have to agree,

This was meant to be my xmas present, then my birthday prezzy, in the end i got fed up. The only title i was really after for launch day wasn't a launch day title - despite the PR crap from Sony saying it was!!.

Over half of my PS2 games i had wouldnt play due to there cost cutting

Then to cap it all they had no rumble feature on the, cheap looking, controllers

£50 notes wont do much I'm afraid

Mart

Trending Topics

Old 09 July 2007, 07:39 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw the PS3 in HMV with its meager selection of games at £400 quid, Xbox 360 next to it looked a lot better bet.
Old 10 July 2007, 09:23 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

According to Amazon (US) since they dropped the price yesterday the PS3 sales have risen by a whopping 2500%.

There's also been some screenshots leaked of the 80gb box, and there's strong hints that the "new" PS3 will indeed come with a "rumbleaxis"

MS are responding with 360 price cuts, $80 off the Elite & $50 off the Premium and (supposed to be dead) Core.

MS's E3 conference later today, and Sony's tomorrow so hopefully we'll get confirmation then.
Old 10 July 2007, 11:31 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
According to Amazon (US) since they dropped the price yesterday the PS3 sales have risen by a whopping 2500%.
Just early adopters - they won't sustain that, as the bottom line is the game just aren't there (yet) and without them its STILL too expensive (imo)

Good clip of Sony CEO (US) getting grilled on the price drop. Typical bull**** from the CEO, who talks LOTS but says NOTHING...

YouTube - Jack Tretton PS3 price cut interview
Old 10 July 2007, 11:53 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I think at the moment, the majority of buyers are getting one as a blu-ray player, the games are just an added bonus at present.
Old 12 July 2007, 02:37 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Any word yet on a European price drop?

I'm not shelling out £400 when the yanks only have to part with £250...
Old 12 July 2007, 02:50 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I think at the moment, the majority of buyers are getting one as a blu-ray player, the games are just an added bonus at present.
That's exactly why I'm buying one, might even get to play a decent game on it in a few years
Old 12 July 2007, 04:08 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Saw the PS3 in HMV with its meager selection of games at £400 quid, Xbox 360 next to it looked a lot better bet.
So, Xbox core system, £199, 20gb harddrive £69.99, HD DVD £134.99, so thats just under £405, and it's 40gb less than a PS3?

Oops, forgot the wireless adapter! That's another £54.99

I won't bother to argue the point about games, we all know it has more.

So now the PS3 is likely to be £350. Hardly seems a lot of money for what you get!

I will say however, that the price of games for PS3 seems a bit steep. It's bad enough for the 360. How on earth do people afford to buy games all the time? The consoles seem paltry in price compared to the games IMO.

Geezer

Last edited by Geezer; 12 July 2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12 July 2007, 04:12 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
So, Xbox core system, £199, 20gb harddrive £69.99, HD DVD £134.99, so thats just under £405, and it's 40gb less than a PS3?

I won't bother to argue the point about games, we all know it has more.

So now the PS3 is likely to be £350. Hardly seems a lot of money for what you get!

I will say however, that the price of games for PS3 seems a bit steep. It's bad enough for the 360. How on earth do people afford to buy games all the time? The consoles seem paltry in price compared to the games IMO.

Geezer
You're going on the top whack RRP there. Most people wouldn't be so daft as to do that would they?

I paid £207 for my Premium about 3 months back. you can get the HD-DVD drive for £99.

I see your point but it's just twisting stuff to suit your argument.
Old 12 July 2007, 04:14 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Geezer
HD DVD £99 Gamestation :: Welcome to Gamestation

And there are various other price cuts floating around the rumourmill.
Old 12 July 2007, 04:26 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Absolutely, but it's taken a year.

Despite what it seems like, I am not saying the 360 is worthless etc., like I said in my other thread, PS3 suits me, and that the 360 is a fine thing. It's just ridiculous the way people rubbish the PS3.

It's a most British trait, a backlash against what has been the top dog. We see it in sports too.

The only thing 360 has in it's favour at the moment is number of games. The price is falsely low. OK, not everyone wants HD-DVD, but still £200 for a premium system, which still has a low amount of storage considering they want to push HD content over the net, £54.99 for a wireless adapter, extra for wireless controllers if you want that, it all soon starts to add up.

It's like people have to justify their purchases by defending them vehemently!

And for the record, no I don't have PS3, so I'm not defending it for that reason

Geezer
Old 12 July 2007, 04:29 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Absolutely, but it's taken a year.

Despite what it seems like, I am not saying the 360 is worthless etc., like I said in my other thread, PS3 suits me, and that the 360 is a fine thing. It's just ridiculous the way people rubbish the PS3.

It's a most British trait, a backlash against what has been the top dog. We see it in sports too.

The only thing 360 has in it's favour at the moment is number of games. The price is falsely low. OK, not everyone wants HD-DVD, but still £200 for a premium system, which still has a low amount of storage considering they want to push HD content over the net, £54.99 for a wireless adapter, extra for wireless controllers if you want that, it all soon starts to add up.

It's like people have to justify their purchases by defending them vehemently!

And for the record, no I don't have PS3, so I'm not defending it for that reason

Geezer
But again you can look at it the other way and say you're not forcing things on the user that they may not need. Providing them with a choice to tailor the system to meet their needs. If you just want to play games then you can get doing that now for £150 on the 360.

It's horses for courses at the end of it all but ultimately as you say if you're looking to play games over the coming 12 months then one machine currently wins out... but that may change with time.
Old 12 July 2007, 04:45 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Does anyone actually have a Core who hasn't gone and bought the HDD later on? IMHO there's not much point in having a 360 without one, and considering a 64mb Memory Card would have been a necessary purchase otherwise (and it only has 53mb available on it, and some games have saves bigger than that) then £22 for it is extortionate. I dont know why MS even bothered with the Core - pure money making exercise if you ask me so they can sell the parts seperately for more cash.

Wireless, not too fussed, my 360 is only about 5ft from my router, its a nice feature of the PS3 but I'll probably have mine hard wired when I get round to buying one.

Dont think you can argue that the PS3 has more expensive games, they're all about the same price no matter what the platform is.
Old 12 July 2007, 05:18 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I think that's very good value , top notch Blu Ray player with HDMI 1.3 Decodes the latest HD sound formats and up-scales SD DVDs to 1080P can be used a picture viewer on your latest HD TV and be used as a storage device .

OH and it plays the odd game RELIABLY
Old 12 July 2007, 05:19 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

bought a core just for games, paid for a memory card, but the problems came when i went online, so i had to shell out for the hard disc.

i have no intrest in wireless controllers and such, but looking back the premium package would have been abetter bet .
Old 12 July 2007, 08:26 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Dont think you can argue that the PS3 has more expensive games, they're all about the same price no matter what the platform is.
I'm just going by what I see in my local Game store, the premium games on PS3 seem to be £50, £40 on360.

Geezer
Old 12 July 2007, 10:40 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

"In an interview with Reuters, Capcom Chief Financial Officer Kazuhiko Abe said the PS3's price in America is "likely to be cut again towards the end of the year." Abe also said that while he expects the PS3's installed base to grow gradually, the continued growth in PS2 users means "a shift to the PS3 is on the back burner."

With similar pessimistic statements on the recent price cut from the likes of Konami and Square Enix executive, we have to wonder whether Sony's clout with the Japanese publishing community is dwindling. Tales of Japanese publishers devoting more focus to Nintendo systems certainly don't help matters."
Old 13 July 2007, 08:51 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Europe isn't getting a price drop like the US it seems (shafted again). Instead they will bundle a couple of games and an extra controller.
Old 13 July 2007, 09:08 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by **************
Wrong. Apart from the games the biggest point in its favour is Xbox Live and whats available through it apart from just playing games on line. Sony will always struggle to match the quality of Live. The online services for the PS2 were appalling and something I can't believe Sony were happy to put their name to.
That's a very bold statement. People said MS would never match Sony or Nintendo with a console, but clearly they have. Never say never. Sony are no fools, just as MS have learnt from their experiences, so will Sony (and indeed Nintendo, who are outselling Xbox and PS3 by a country mile)

Geezer
Old 13 July 2007, 09:24 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

That's a very bold statement. People said MS would never match Sony or Nintendo with a console, but clearly they have. Never say never. Sony are no fools, just as MS have learnt from their experiences, so will Sony (and indeed Nintendo, who are outselling Xbox and PS3 by a country mile)

Geezer
The wii cannot be put in the same category as 360/ps3, its not a nextgen state of the art console, its a fun cheap games machine and a lot of people who own 360/ps3 are buying the wii as a second console.
Old 13 July 2007, 09:24 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Cant say I've seen any PS3 games @ £50, all the ones in blockbuster seem to go for £35.

...and to think I paid £50 for Perfect Dark Zero... and WipEout for that matter

Still not buying a PS3 until the price drops - its not the £425 that puts me off its difference in parity to how much other countries are paying.

Last edited by messiah; 13 July 2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 13 July 2007, 10:14 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Well given the lack of price drop on the PS3 in the UK and stability issues with the 360, I'll stick with the wii for now. Not a great deal of games out for it, but am quite liking Pangya golf at the moment. You even get a calorie counter to tell you (roughly) how much energy you've burned

Maybe I'll get a new console at xmas.....
Old 13 July 2007, 11:16 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

News - E3: No PS3 price cut for Europe // PS3 /// Eurogamer

No price drop for us then , and this bundle is no use to me as I want the console as a Blu Ray Player

Quick Reply: Sony gets the message - PS3 drops $100