Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

advice needed - ditching win2k server for a new win2k3 server

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2007, 09:00 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice needed - ditching win2k server for a new win2k3 server

can someone explain the best route to go from one computer to another....

1) ditching our current win2k DC
2) move to a new DC with win2k3

If I'm confident I can manually build the new Win2k3 box and set up everthing on it, is it just a case of turning off the old box and turning on the new one ?
Old 02 June 2007, 09:22 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would assume you would have to reboot anything attached to your network for it to re-assign an address??

There are always teething problems when changing big parts of a network...

We have everyone log out and shut down everything, mid night type job, switch servers and cables and boot up, then setup printers etc...

I'm probably miles off what your even trying to do so I'm sorry if I've missed the point.
Old 02 June 2007, 09:23 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Not quite so simple

You can build the new server as a DC in the Windows 2000 Domain, and then you will need to transfer all the roles, RID, PDC, Schema, Operations, and Domain Naming, Global Catalogue (think thats them all) onto the new Windows 2003 server

Then you should be able to run DCpromo on the old Win2k server to remove it from the domain, make sure you have moved DNS, WINS, DHCP etc too

Are you running anything else on the Win2k Domain (Exchange Server etc) and is it standard/enterprise or Small Business Edition of Windows

Thats about it in basic terms
Old 02 June 2007, 09:55 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Not quite so simple

You can build the new server as a DC in the Windows 2000 Domain, and then you will need to transfer all the roles, RID, PDC, Schema, Operations, and Domain Naming, Global Catalogue (think thats them all) onto the new Windows 2003 server

Then you should be able to run DCpromo on the old Win2k server to remove it from the domain, make sure you have moved DNS, WINS, DHCP etc too

Are you running anything else on the Win2k Domain (Exchange Server etc) and is it standard/enterprise or Small Business Edition of Windows

Thats about it in basic terms

Running a much bigger network than I'm used to
Old 02 June 2007, 09:59 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Lots of supporting pointers in here as well besides the comprehensive reply given above
Old 02 June 2007, 11:23 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

One thing to note is the use of the LMHOSTS file.

This can be a stumbling block on some networks in that the IP address of the Server (and Domain name) can be hard coded on to some p.c.'s / servers.

You need to make sure that the records (0x1b and 0x1c) point to the new Server on any devices that may use the LMHOSTS file.

WINS can be a complete **** as well - you'll undoubtably find static entries lurking in there that you weren't aware of.

Good Luck!
Old 02 June 2007, 11:50 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

It's pretty simple.

Add the new server as a member server to the existing domain.
Run DCPROMO on the new server to make it a DC as well
Transfer DHCP/DNS/WINS (if you are running it on the server), if you've got AD Integrated DNS zones it'll be easy and automatic if you install DNS on the new server.
Clean up any static client entries that point to the old server (server and desktop)
Once the new server is running properly (Chacke it's a GC, use DCDIAG, NETDIAG etc) and settled in run DCPROMO on the old server and remove it as a DC, then remove it from the domain and turn it off.

No need to manually transfer FSMO (Schema Master, Domain Naming Master, PDC Emulator, RID Master, infrastructure Master) roles as that will be done automatically when you run DMPROMO on the old server to remove it - but obviously make sure you have promoted the new server to a DC.

You can then also set the W2K3 domain and forest at the correct functional levels.

Also always take a System State backup of the existing DC before you start.

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 03 June 2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03 June 2007, 12:17 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, some great comments and much to make notes on.

Kiwi, this worries me a little...

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
No need to manually transfer FSMO (Schema Master, Domain Naming Master, PDC Emulator, RID Master, infrastructure Master) roles as that will be done automatically when you run DMPROMO on the old server to remove it - but obviously make sure you have promoted the new server to a DC.
the old WIn2k server was previously upgraded from NT Server and I believe has lots of issues. I'm loathe to "DMPROMO" as you say above - for fear all the issues get transferred over to my nice new Win2k3 install on the new box. Is there anyway to just unplug the old one and get the new one running without transferring any settings from the old box to the new one ?
Old 03 June 2007, 12:22 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I'm presuming you want to keep the same users and groups? The only way you are going to achieve that is by running DCPROMO on the new server. During the DCPROMO process it should just transfer the Directory information and you shouldn't have any problems.

You could set up a new domain and migrate all users and groups but that would really be too complex.

If you can run DCDIAG and NETDIAG without error on the existing DC then I think you'll be pretty safe in just adding the new DC.
Old 03 June 2007, 12:26 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

would help if I put the link in !!!

Common Mistakes When Upgrading a Windows 2000 Domain To a Windows 2003 Domain
Old 03 June 2007, 01:00 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Migrating isnt too complex if its only one server and a handful(ish) users, they arent the problem in migrations, its more the PC's that are members of the domain, but still not that bad really

Ive done migrations for several thousand users and it went quite smooth and releatively straight forward

As the server was migrated from NT to Win2k then all the UPN names will be blank, which is no great show stopper and wont stop you doing an upgrade/migration it only really causes a problem if you want to sync AD to Edirectory using DirXML, but again there are ways round that too

Pimmo what you said also applies, I forgot about printers etc, of course they would need to be transferred too, along with any application specific stuff

Shares you could use DFS etc,

To be honest if it was me and a small network and a handful of PC's I would either start from scratch (if you want a clean start) or just install as a 2nd DC and do the above stuff

IIRC you will have to run domainprep and forestprep from the Win2k3 CD on the win2k DC first before adding a win2k3 DC, when you run Dcpromo on the win2k3 server it will warn you of this anyway

Steve
Old 03 June 2007, 12:57 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I'm still thinking he's only running a small network and would be just as simple to set it up from scratch... as he keeps saying he doesn't want the old info, I'd just copy the bits you do want and create everything from new... again I stand by my what do I know statement !!

Turn the sodding lot off and work through the night to get the new one working, if it doesn't put the old back on and try the next night

Now if you excuse me I have less important people to annoy
Old 03 June 2007, 01:47 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with Pimmo here - If doing the above one thing if want to make it even simpler is to make the name of the domain different. Recreate the user names on the new server, Copy andy data need etc. Add the pc's to the new domain ! Would be tempted to give everyone new profiles as well - (just save their favourites / emails) saves rubbish from the old domain causing problems

Richard
Old 03 June 2007, 07:43 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

thanks all

Will ponder whether to build a new Win2k3 DC from scratch or build it as a stand-alone on the domain and DCPROMO it.