Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

forum log in problems

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2007, 02:13 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forum log in problems

i use a few different forums for different things. i've been using locostbuilders.co.uk for a little while, but only from home. if i try and log in from work (different ISP if that makes any difference), i can get past the original log in page, but i'm not actually "logged in". wherever i try to go from that page, i get the "you need to be logged in..." message.

same happens with 192.com - i use it for work, searching for various info and contact updates, but i can't use the credits i've paid for from work because i can't log in properly. again i can log in and use this from home....

any ideas? is this something to do with my isp and compatability with the hosting service for the sites i'm trying to use??
Old 09 May 2007, 02:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Do you use the same OS and same browser, and same browser version at work and at home?

Usually the login session information is stored in a cookie, so you might want to check the browser at work to see if it's allowing cookies to be saved, or you could go and find the cookies for the aforementioned sites and delete them, empty your cache and history, close and re-open the browser and then try logging into the sites and see if that makes any difference.

Another thing to try is to logout from the sites on your home computer and then try logging into them from work. It might be that it only allows a single login at a given time, and as you had not logged out at home the system is seeing the account as still being logged in, so when you try to login from work, it doesn't work properly. Normally I'd expect some kind of message stating this though, rather than actually letting you login and then you finding you're not really logged in.

Last edited by Markus; 09 May 2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09 May 2007, 02:51 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

no, i'm using;
work - windows xp pro 5.1 sp2, ms internet explorer and isp hotchilli.com
home - windows media center (centre) edition 2005, ms ie and isp tiscali.com

work isp are useless and have asked me to email a description of the problem so i'm 30mins into waiting for a reponse from them at the mo. not holding my breath...snet is much quicker in my experience!!
Old 09 May 2007, 02:55 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Not having the same OS might not be too much of a problem, the main thing would be the version of IE that you're using, which I'm guessing is going to be different on each of the machines. If they are different versions then they could be handling pages/cookies differently. If possible I'd get both machines upgraded to the latest version of IE, or, maybe just install firefox (not sure if work will allow you to do that) and see if it works ok.
Old 09 May 2007, 03:05 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

thanks for your help so far markus.
not sure about home, but at work i'm using ie7.

home machine is always off during the day) other than when mrs g is online, but only ever logged into her own stuff - not locostbuilders or 192.com

have tried clearing all cookies and history and reytrying access, but no joy so far from work

software installation isn't an issue here so i may have to give firefox a try. if any of the above prompts you to think of another potential cause, i'd be grateful for any advice. likewise, if anyone has read the above and it all seems crystal clear i'd be grateful if you could share your knowledge
Old 09 May 2007, 03:37 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Default sorted...

all down to cookie handling as you had suggested. now using the "manage sites" section under privacy settings in IE to "always allow" cookies from the sites i have had trouble with (ie as I am confident they are safe).

thanks for your help markus
Old 09 May 2007, 08:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

No problem at all. Glad you got it resolved.