Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ADSL Modem update?

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2007, 09:13 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADSL Modem update?

Can anyone advise me if there is an updated (i.e. much faster) ADSL modem that I can buy to replace my oldish BT Voyager 105 modem?

I don't need Wi-Fi capability at all - computer is in one place, doesn't get moved, and already has the existing ADSL cable all in place and hidden from view, so I just want a faster modem to take advantage of the higher exchange speed - assuming that I can just unplug the 105 and plug the new one straight in.

The current one runs (I think) at 2-3 meg top wack, but my line has an available 6.4-6.7meg speed, so I fancy buying a new modem to use the extra speed.

Don't need anything fancy - would never use it - just want SPEED!

Any advice on what to look for?
Old 30 March 2007, 11:54 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

i think you are thinking of adsl2+ modem. they dont give you "faster" line as your ISP need to support adsl2+. normal adsl modem are only good for up to 8meg. adsl2+ is used by www.bethere.co.uk and UK Online with speed of more than 20meg +.

so if you line is 1 meg, using a adsl2+ modem wont get you a "faster" line.
Old 31 March 2007, 01:32 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

I'm assuming you have signed up for a dslMax product (ie upto 8mb)? As opposed to being on a static 1 or 2 meg connection. If not you will need to do so, that is if your ISP hasn't already moved you across. Otherwise it won't matter what modem you plug in, you'll still only get your current speed, oh and remember just because the ISP says it's upto 8Mb you might not get anywhere near that!

The BT Voyager 105 is an old USB modem right?

In which case yeah it's getting a bit long in the tooth and you would probably benefit from replacing it.

You really need to get hold of an Ethernet style modem/router, there will be some configuring required, it won't just plug and play like your old 105, but they're relatively simple if you RTFM!

You could do worse than buying one of these:
http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/product_de...?idProduct=516
They're very highly rated for max products.. and at that price point good value too!
Old 31 March 2007, 01:54 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

Cheers for the info guys.

My ISP is BT and when I originally got Broadband from them, they supplied the Voyager 105 FOC as I was only on a 2meg line, but since then they have upgraded my line (and contract) to their 8mb option.

Connection/Download speeds seem to be at the 6.4-6.7meg speeds (so says a little "bubble" message that pops up when I connect to the Internet), but the original modem won't go that fast (well that's what BT said when I upgraded to the 8mb option), hence why I want to update it with a faster one.

Will have to see what's available now I've been pointed in the right direction!