Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

graphics/photoshop problems

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2007, 07:14 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default graphics/photoshop problems

You may remember last year I had a graphics gard problem that Dell said a re formatt your PC and reinstall everything again which did not solves the problem. I kept saying about the graphics card, but they refused to take any notice of that untill I posted a screen shot on my desktop on here, and a few SN'ers said it was the graphics card which I then told Dell who then replaced my graphics card with a refurbed one.

All was well, but now and then I get the screen doing the same thing again, so I have to restart and it clears it self.

This so called 'thing' that my screen does, is very hard to describe. But what basicially happens is that the display screws up the graphics and juggling them about and inverting some of the colours.

The PC is out of warranty, so can't do anything that way. any suggestions?.

-----------------

The other problem is with photoshop and when I open a picture in PS the image is much much lighter that the same picture being viewed in window fax viewer or quicktime picture viewer. What can I do? What colour setting should I be using as I have no idea when it comes to setting them up. I havd had a play, but I can't seem to set them right.

This PC is kinda on its last legs as it has been used pretty hard in the time that I have had it since new about 4 1/4 years.

Sorry for the long two questions, but any tips, advice would be great.
Old 30 March 2007, 07:23 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Try running with just one stick of ram and download something that will batter your equipment over a period of time and then try changing the ram stick and doing it again. Reset the bios in case of corruption by either removing the battery or shorting the CMOS pins.

Are you connecting a molex to the ati graphics card ?

Is the graphics card fully locating in its socket ? i.e. can you still see plenty of gold along the connector ?
Old 30 March 2007, 07:44 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

The gfx gard is in fully.
Was it you who also said tht my ATi Radoen 9800 Pro was US?

Molex
Old 30 March 2007, 08:26 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

your graphics card is overheating hence you get crap on your screen. Its usually a symptom of a cheap design (due to mass production) or bad cooling within the case itself.

Sounds like you have a well specced card so you best bet is to get an uprated graphics cooler, plenty about and I think ocuk.co.uk have some nice examples. If you have the room I recommend getting one that has cooling fins on both sides so your memory and gpu is being cooled.

I would also check the thermals of your PC, something is blocking airflow inside, maybe worth upgrading the fans and removing some PCI slot covers to help air shift around better.

The reason your getting an odd display in photoshop is due to the colour pallette its using. You need to configure Photoshop so it uses the correct colour format for images, for example I do alot of web design work so I have Photoshop set to web colours 256 as the default pallette.

Finally I recommend you download the correct colour profile for your monitor/tft screen. The manufacturer site will have one or a search on google should get you some results. You install the profile by going into your Display Properties (right-click your desktop, properties, settings, colour management) and go to the colour management tab, then install your monitor's profile.

Photoshop will pick up the profile and adjust itself to display images correctly.
Old 31 March 2007, 09:53 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that.