Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 pre-orders??? Are they needed???

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2007, 03:03 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PS3 pre-orders??? Are they needed???

Still seeing alot of places saying they can still get you a PS3 for launch day. Have Sony done a really good job and got load of PS3's ready or have they done a really bad job and shot themselves in the foot with no-one ordering them!

I'm betting you will be able to walk into a shop over the next couple of weeks and be able to buy one. Don't think there will be many on Ebay
Old 20 March 2007, 03:19 PM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

Dont think the demand is there, got to a real sony fan to pay those prices. worth it if you going to use it as a blu ray player, but just as a games console why choose this over a 360? Plus I think quite a few uk owners have already imported theirs for much less money.
Old 20 March 2007, 03:59 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Not really worth it solely as a blu-ray player either. Just been reading that it's got a pretty average review in this months what-hifi, and the picture quality is beaten by a cheaper Hitachi standalone unit.
Old 20 March 2007, 05:52 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Not really worth it solely as a blu-ray player either. Just been reading that it's got a pretty average review in this months what-hifi, and the picture quality is beaten by a cheaper Hitachi standalone unit.

Thats really bad news, i feared that would be the case what with the quality of the DVD player on the PS2
Old 20 March 2007, 07:24 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

PS2 dvd player was very poor.
Old 20 March 2007, 09:10 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Don't think there have been really that many FleeBayers have been pre-ordering them due to the fact so many of them are available through import that do the same job.

Sony left it's console Region Game Free which means the consumers are not stuck, but instead locked the Film Region.

MS on the other hand have left the locking of games to the developer, which most have, but then played the ace card by leaving the HD add on region free.

Shows who used the brains there.
Old 20 March 2007, 09:32 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Tried getting some concrete data from the PS3 UK website...

utter tosh!!! all eyecandy... the price of games, i got from the eu site..£41+ notes...

As much as i want one, I cant justify the £425+ spend...

ok so the blue ray would be nice, but will it give any improvements on a standard CRT tv? wifi nice to, but i dont want it linked to the web and locked out when doing so...

ok it may be whisper quiet, and have have a 60gb hard drive... but it dosent have full backwards compatibilty, and Sony wont reveal what will and wont work until release day...... why????

either sod all will work, and thats why there staying tight lipped, surely if everything worked.. they,d be shouting from the rooftops...

so do i wait, .....hope sales are crap, and they cost cut the unit for chrimbo.. or take the plunge and get a xbox 360? at nearly half the price, and get a load of good games to boot??

mart

Trending Topics

Old 21 March 2007, 03:57 PM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
or take the plunge and get a xbox 360? at nearly half the price, and get a load of good games to boot??

mart
Think you have answered this one yourself!
Old 22 March 2007, 10:12 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

****, was going to cancel the pre-order today, got an email when I arrived at work, it's been dispatched!
If I can resist opening the box I can send it back for a full refund though (less the postage it costs me to do so!).
Old 22 March 2007, 02:49 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Interesting, T3 magazine are saying the the bluray on the PS3 is better than the top Samsung player ( BDP-1000 & £800 worth ) so now i don't know what to believe

Anyhow, My Motorstorm, Virtua tennis and F1 have turned up today
Old 22 March 2007, 03:27 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5SCOTT
Interesting, T3 magazine are saying the the bluray on the PS3 is better than the top Samsung player ( BDP-1000 & £800 worth ) so now i don't know what to believe

T3 really know bugger all about anything. Nice photos but they are hardly experts.
Old 22 March 2007, 03:51 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5SCOTT
Just because it's better than a more expensive Samsung machine, doesn't mean it's better than a cheaper Hitachi machine though , and as stated above, they are hardly experts at reviewing this sort of stuff

Hope you enjoy them. Unfortunately the F1 game has been getting pretty bad reviews everywhere (I think edge magazine only gave it about 50% and they are die-hard Sony fans). Shame, because I fancied that one myself...
Old 22 March 2007, 04:05 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic

This is the first next gen console i've not bought at launch, mainly because i don't see it as a step up from my 360, i even saw the Motorstorm ad on TV the other day and thought it looked like a run of the mill 360 game If the price drops around xmas then i might be tempted, but not at the current price.

That said, i'm off round my mates house on Saturday to have a blast on his
Old 22 March 2007, 04:34 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Seems a lot of people who ordered through amazon aren't going to get their pre-orders tomorrow... unlucky.
Old 22 March 2007, 07:03 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4
This is the first next gen console i've not bought at launch, mainly because i don't see it as a step up from my 360, i even saw the Motorstorm ad on TV the other day and thought it looked like a run of the mill 360 game If the price drops around xmas then i might be tempted, but not at the current price.

That said, i'm off round my mates house on Saturday to have a blast on his
The Advert doesnt do the Game any justice Nothing on the 360 matches that. Having said that mine hasnt been on for a Month or so now.
Old 22 March 2007, 07:14 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatmanscooby
The Advert doesnt do the Game any justice Nothing on the 360 matches that. Having said that mine hasnt been on for a Month or so now.
Not sure that's true. It looks pretty for a while, but you soon get bored with the textures / environments (there's little or no variety), there is some nasty popup / sometime stuttering framerate, and the game itself is extremely shallow. At least that's the impression I got when I played it.

Not sure why Amazon customers are being let down. There's loads of places with stock still available for tomorrow...
Old 23 March 2007, 01:08 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

I see the first 100 people in the queue at Virgin on Oxford Street got a free 42" Sony Bravia and a free taxi ride home!

Being a sad ******* does work occasionally.......

Geezer
Old 23 March 2007, 01:28 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Just looked at the Argos website, all my local stores have stock ready for 'reserve and collect' today. If i'd preordered from Amazon i'd be a bit pee'd that people can just pop to Argos on launch day and take one away

Tony.
Old 23 March 2007, 01:50 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Let's be honest, if that game was released for the PC or any other console, it would be in the bargain bin within a month.

People are waking up to the fact that stunning graphics don't make good games, it's the playability that's important.
Old 23 March 2007, 02:38 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Thats quite true. It does look good but playability is shallow. Shows what can be achieved early on though does nt it? Nothing quitte as flash on the 360 yet
Old 23 March 2007, 02:44 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Wow. In stock in Argos and Game in Tunbridge Wells.

Steve
Old 23 March 2007, 02:49 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Thats quite true. It does look good but playability is shallow. Shows what can be achieved early on though does nt it? Nothing quitte as flash on the 360 yet
I thought it was singularly unimpressive myself. Didn;t think the graphics were that great. They look ok for 5 minutes or so, but you soon realise they are using the same textures over and over again, and then the framerate stutter starts.

I'm surprised there aren't more games available at launch. PS3 developers have had the dev consoles for a very long time now...
Old 23 March 2007, 08:07 PM
redxiii
Scooby Regular

I work for John Lewis, we have a number of restrictions in place from this morning for PS3 sales due to the 'expected' demand. ie staff can't buy one etc etc
By 12 midday our website had added a console only options rather than the console and £200 quids worth of accessories only option, which seems to be becomming the norm with launches
the restriction on call center orders was lifted
Sales were described to me as dissapointing and we certainly have stock instores an online should anyone want one.
Old 23 March 2007, 10:16 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Plenty PS3 available in store shelves over here. Personally, I have never had so few interest in a console as for this one. Not even one single sales person from Sony promoting it, no goodies, stickers, etc. not even in the bigger stores. More customers browsing through the 360 game shelves. What a shame.
Old 23 March 2007, 11:26 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Every wheres in stock, personally until there less than £300 i wont even entertain buying one as I'm 110% happy with my 360.
Old 24 March 2007, 11:17 AM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

Import ones are less than the £200 mark in hk but then u have to buy a game which make it just a tad over £200! any idea when GT5 will come out?
Old 24 March 2007, 11:22 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Must be hurting the people that thought they were going to sell on ebay for a profit !!!

LOL
Old 24 March 2007, 11:50 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HKSubaru
any idea when GT5 will come out?
The last estimate I heard was somewhere around March 2008
Old 24 March 2007, 11:53 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Iain Young
The last estimate I heard was somewhere around March 2008
Plenty of time to let the console price drop a bit then
Old 24 March 2007, 12:18 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
Must be hurting the people that thought they were going to sell on ebay for a profit !!!

LOL
Exactly, my mate bought 5, ive never laughed so hard in my life

Quick Reply: PS3 pre-orders??? Are they needed???