Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Drive marking installation disc.

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2007, 12:10 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drive marking installation disc.

The Windows XP original disc that I have been using with bootcamp on my Macbook failed to install because of concentric circle markings on the surface. It did work originally but I needed to reinstall after having a new hard drive fitted. My local PC chappie has tried to restore/polish but to no avail. Now, before I go and buy another XP, is there any way to check the CD/DVD drive to make sure that it is not surface marking the discs ? I have tried a DVD in the laptop and it played OK and no marks on the surface but I don't know if this would be read in the same way as an installation disc ?

Any thoughts.

thanks

Brian
Old 16 March 2007, 02:02 PM
adrianp
Scooby Regular

If it's an original disc and you have a key etc for it, might pay to contact Microsoft about getting a replacement disc sent to you...

Worth a try and even though they would probably charge a few quid it would be cheaper than buying another copy.
Old 16 March 2007, 03:06 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I would have thought reading a DVD would be the same as reading an install disk. It's possible the install disk might not have all the information in the same place so the laser would have to scan across the disk to read other information.

Contacting MS would be a better bet than buying a new copy of XP just to obtain the disk.

If you wish to avoid any cost issues then you could always download a disk image file (typically an ISO file) via BitTorrent and burn the ISO to a new CD. There is obviously the legal aspect to think of here, I'm not sure what the legal standing is of you downloading an ISO of an MS product for use with your legitimate and legal key. One could argue it's the same as making a backup copy of your install media, which I think you're allowed to do.

I've certainly downloaded an ISO of Windows 2000 Server as I could not find my install CD and needed to reinstall the server asap and thus could not wait for a replacement to be sent to me (if that was possible). When I first got 2000 Server I had purchased it and so had a legitmate key, and as I was simply reinstalling on the original computer and not bringing up a new server, I didn't think there was an issue. If I was trying to run another server, or using an illegally obtained key then I would not have done so.