Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Virgin Media Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2007, 03:07 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virgin Media Reliability

'Go faster, crash less'

My **** does it
Old 04 March 2007, 03:19 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wanna give us some more info ? is it the internet or the PC guard
Old 04 March 2007, 04:05 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

My 4mb broadband connection. It was solid under Blueyonder. Occasionally my email would be down but not for long, and the Service Status page was always up to date.
Now Virgin have taken over my connection is often down, particularly this weekend. It was expensive but reliable but now even that doesn't seem to be true.
Old 04 March 2007, 05:26 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daz34
My 4mb broadband connection. It was solid under Blueyonder. Occasionally my email would be down but not for long, and the Service Status page was always up to date.
Now Virgin have taken over my connection is often down, particularly this weekend. It was expensive but reliable but now even that doesn't seem to be true.
@ all the people that think Virgin actually came in and changed something.. everything and I mean everything is the same, its still the same **** service, the SAME high prices and the same idiots running things
Old 04 March 2007, 05:32 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Well I'm not imagining it mate. My connection has been down for hours at a time this weekend. To be fair, in my experience the service was damn good up until recently both in terms of reliability and speed.
Old 05 March 2007, 12:34 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daz34
Well I'm not imagining it mate. My connection has been down for hours at a time this weekend. To be fair, in my experience the service was damn good up until recently both in terms of reliability and speed.

I dont doubt you mate, the service is terrible for a lot of people, but honestly no changes have been physically made bar the name.

I'm not back til later this week, but if your still having issues I'll look into it for you.
Old 05 March 2007, 01:10 AM
miss d
Scooby Regular

there much better than sky i think as ive had sky, at least you can record two things and watch third, im on blueyonder and have no probs but got it set up to work my aol

Trending Topics

Old 05 March 2007, 10:00 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by miss d
there much better than sky i think as ive had sky, at least you can record two things and watch third, im on blueyonder and have no probs but got it set up to work my aol
AOL is ADSL
Old 05 March 2007, 10:20 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

NTL / Virgin media is rock solid for me (always has been). I'm on the 10mb service, and have had only 1 day outage that I can remember in the 4 or 5 years I've had it (can't remember exactly when it was installed).

Sure it's more pricey than ADSL, but it seems much more reliable at the same time.
Old 05 March 2007, 10:29 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
NTL / Virgin media is rock solid for me (always has been). I'm on the 10mb service, and have had only 1 day outage that I can remember in the 4 or 5 years I've had it (can't remember exactly when it was installed).

Sure it's more pricey than ADSL, but it seems much more reliable at the same time.
My dad has been with NTL for 3 years or so now and he's never onc mentioned an outage. Seems far better than the ADSL I have at home.
Old 05 March 2007, 10:43 AM
miss d
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
AOL is ADSL
i was harf asleep when i wrote it its hard to exsplain
Old 06 March 2007, 01:58 AM
Uno-Punto-ScoobyTurbo's
Scooby Newbie

just to let everyone know - things at Virgin are only going to get worse for people in the Ex-Telewest area's:

why i hear you say?

I used to work for Telewest in the National Operations Centre (Noc) - looked a bit like NASA control centre - monitoring the the TV,PHONE & Internet - but my entire department were made redundant by NTL 2 weeks before christmas - we used to despatch faults out of normal hours if say it affected more than 10 people or if it was power related despatch a Network engineer to investigate and fix/back up with generator/van invertor.

Then NTL (Virgin Media) took over and made the policy of no engineers to be despatched out of hours unless over a 1000 (P1) customer affected - meaning if only 1 or 2 cabs (DP's) are off your staying off unless everyone calls in to complain (very unlikely as phones are normally down as well).

+ the network engineers used to find and repair faulty joints/cables that caused excessive noise/loss on the network (Ingress) keeping your download speeds high - then NTL made them all redundant - Ingress house keeping (maintance) seems to have gone the ways of the Dodo.

Soon speeds will suffer - cracks in the network appearing- think of it like this, if your pumping water through a pipe that has a crack, overall your seeing a loss on when there was no crack in the pipe, now imagine there are multiple holes in the pipe - people toward the end of the pipe will suffer a loss of water presure = loss of up/down load speed - WELCOME TO THE NEW WORLD OF VIRGIN MEDIA

I speak only the truth + no more SKY ONE ect....

Mr Branson is outsourcing all call centres to India

just thought i'd let everyone know

what a man! - a real Telewest Hero (we used to say)

Last edited by Uno-Punto-ScoobyTurbo's; 06 March 2007 at 02:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06 March 2007, 02:00 AM
miss d
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Uno-Punto-ScoobyTurbo's
just to let everyone know - things at Virgin are only going to get worse for people in the Ex-Telewest area's:

why i hear you say?

I used to work for Telewest in the National Operations Centre (Noc) - looked a bit like NASA control centre - monitoring the the TV,PHONE & Internet - but my entire department were made redundant by NTL 2 weeks before christmas - we used to despatch faults out of normal hours if say it affected more than 10 people or if it was power related despatch a Network engineer to investigate and fix/back up with generator/van invertor.

Then NTL (Virgin Media) took over and made the policy of no engineers to be despatched out of hours unless over a 1000 (P1) customer affected - meaning if only 1 or 2 cabs (DP's) are off your staying off unless everyone calls in to complain (very unlikely as phones are normally down as well).

+ the network engineers used to find and repair faulty joints/cables that caused excessive noise/loss on the network (Ingress) keeping your download speeds high - then NTL made them all redundant - Ingress house keeping (maintance) seems to have gone the ways of the Dodo.

Soon speeds will suffer - cracks in the network appearing- think of it like this, if your pumping water through a pipe that has a crack, overall your seeing a loss on when there was no crack in the pipe, now imagine there are multiple holes in the pipe - people toward the end of the pipe will suffer a loss of water presure = loss of up/down load speed - WELCOME TO THE NEW WORLD OF VIRGIN MEDIA

what a man
sky one was bit poop anyway only good thing on it was lost and thankx for info
Old 06 March 2007, 09:29 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Uno-Punto-ScoobyTurbo's

why i hear you say?

what a man! - a real Telewest Hero (we used to say)

Sadly this guy is right... a lot of people lost their jobs.. I was speaking to one of the customer care girls who lost her job and she said it was **** anyway!

Apparently the engineers where brought together and told so many of you have to go, you decide !! Then left them to fight it over !

Very professional
Old 06 March 2007, 09:49 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From reading this it doesn't seem worthwhile staying with Virgin media (i've not had any problems tbh) but this still beggars the point of getting rid of Sky 1 and a few other channels because Sky wanted x amount of money yet from the above it seems that Virgin are cost cutting (is this so Branson can spend more money on another balloon trip around the world ) just to make more profit.
Branson and Murdoch are sitting pretty because at the moment the call centres are taking the flak for these 2 children having a hissy fit at each other.
Old 06 March 2007, 10:03 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
From reading this it doesn't seem worthwhile staying with Virgin media (i've not had any problems tbh) but this still beggars the point of getting rid of Sky 1 and a few other channels because Sky wanted x amount of money yet from the above it seems that Virgin are cost cutting (is this so Branson can spend more money on another balloon trip around the world ) just to make more profit.
Branson and Murdoch are sitting pretty because at the moment the call centres are taking the flak for these 2 children having a hissy fit at each other.
your not wrong.. the customers are really mean to us